The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 25, 2013, 06:29 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Bipod for a wood stock

I have a sported mauser that I am sending out for a fresh barrel and re-blue. This is the same one I had a thread about a month ago. I would like to add a bipod to the stock. Problem is I dont like that tacticool look. I much prefer walnut and blue. Is there a bipod that will blend in? If not I may just continue to shoot with a front rest so that I can retain the fine looks of this firearm.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 25, 2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Pahoo

UncleMike's and Harris

Unless I'm missing something, why can't you just install one of those Uncle Mike's studs, thay latch on a Harris. It's not permanent and you can take it on and off at will. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Mobuck

I use Harris bipods while stand hunting and remove for walking around and storing the rifle. None are going to "blend in" with your wood stock if that's what you want.
Another option would be shooting sticks you carry separately and rest the rifle for a shot. If you're talking about shooting from a bench, I'd much prefer sandbags.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
BoogieMan

A quick release bipod would be a nice option. seams like the best of all.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 25, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Pathfinder45

Walnut and Blue

Yeah, I prefer Walnut and Blue also. I would probably have a bipod if I really thought it would save my soul. A sling is good; a bipod is a contraption. There are three good positions to shoot from with a hunting rifle. The most important is standing off-hand. These days, too many shooters neglect off-hand shooting practice. In many hunting situations, one quick off-hand shot is likely all you'll get. For me, the next most important position is kneeling, as it can be assumed quite rapidly and offers substantially more stability than standing off-hand. If you have time, the sitting position is more stable yet. All the deer I've ever taken were from standing of kneeling positions. The bipod can be used from the prone position though it's not needed. The prone position puts right down in the grass and brush. It's wonderfully stable on the target range. But I've yet to ever find use for it in the field hunting. Militarily it makes you a smaller target to those who shoot back. So, what good is a bipod anyway?
Old March 26, 2013, 06:54 AM   #6
BoogieMan

Some very valid point about the bipod. Now that I know it can be added as a quick release I likely wont buy one unless the need comes up.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 26, 2013, 07:20 AM   #7
stubbicatt

Sounds like you have taken your decision.

I put a Versapod on my CZ. The mounting arrangement leaves much to be desired, and also from an aesthetic standpoint. But it works very well.

Old July 24, 2013, 07:58 AM   #8
goodinjelly

Question

But what if you want to put a bipod on the original stock?