The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Revolvers to stay away from

I am new to the revolver field, I have to buy 4 handguns in the next 120 days do to the NJ permit process. One ever 31 days. One of them will without a doubt be a 460XVR. Other than that I plan to go rather instinctive as to what looks good at the store at the given time. If I stick with the majors Ruger, S&W, Colt are there any I should stay away from? How about some of the lesser known brands like Dan Wesson? I prefer to buy used when available. I just dont want to find a deal only to find out later that its a known trouble gun.
All 4 probably wont be revolvers. I have had my eye on some relic SA's like Luger, P38, Astra, Frommer, FEG etc.. I love commy guns for the crude simplicity.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 12, 2013, 12:26 PM   #2
BoomieMCT

I've personally had issues with Rossi and Taurus. I'm sure others will disagree with me.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
clang

The NJ Permit process sucks - been there done that.

Since you are buying "lifetime" guns, I suggest all steel name brand guns. For revolvers, it is hard to go wrong with a Smith & Wesson or Sturm Ruger. I would suggest:
a K frame .22lr (S&W 17, 18 or 617)
an L Frame .357 Mag (S&W 686) or a Ruger GP100

Colt made some good guns too, but they are more expensive and require a trip back to the factory is they need service.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:14 PM   #4
lcpiper

I was just reading up on NJs laws.

Dude - You need a new state
Old February 12, 2013, 01:16 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

On the autos, quality Lugers are always a good investment, but they are pricey. P.38's also are good for retaining value, and cost less to begin with; postwar versions like the P1 are reliable but have less collector value.

Frommer and Astra guns are mostly colletibles as the factories are out of business and parts are either not available or scarce.

I might suggest a 1911 type pistol in .45 ACP, either a WWII GI or something like the Colt, the Remington R1 or the Ruger 1911. The GI pistol would be pricey, but with excellent collector value plus being a very practical and durable pistol.

Jim
Old February 12, 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
redlevel42

Stick with S&W for double action, Ruger for single-action.
Many don't seem to take it into account, but a good used 40 year-old S&W K-frame in .38 Special at $400-$500 is one of the greatest handgun bargains out there when you consider that there simply isn't a new production revolver of that quality available at double the money.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
lcpiper

As for which guns, I would keep it simple. This is how I would approach it but not how everyone would.

Carry gun, range/love gun, light duty target gun and secondary carry gun.

Here is the idea.

Get a .22 for the range, fun, etc. it's cheap to shoot. A Smith DA revolver or a Ruger SA will both fit the bill fine.

Get a matching pair of carry guns, 9mm is as inexpensive as it gets. Think about it, if you actually use one in self defense it will be seized as evidence and you will need a backup. They don't actually have to be the same model but it would be nice if they were close, form follows function.

The last is the sweat Heart, maybe a Beretta 92FS Inox or a nice Sig Combat Elite, A nice 1911 would be great too unless you think they are not your thing. A Gun that is really nice and you just thinks it's a really nice gun. Whatever caliber you want will work just fine.

This is a suggestion on how to approach the situation as a whole, add personal preference and you are set.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:03 PM   #8
SIGSHR

I am a Colt man, but I second those who recommend S&W or Ruger due to availability of parts and factory support. A Dan Wesson Pistol Pac,when found complete,is also a good choice.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Gdawgs

Dan Wessons are excellent. I have a couple and they are among my favorites. You used to see used ones fairly often, not so much anymore.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:28 PM   #10
Eric M.

The one revolver that I suggest staying away from is the Taurus .44 mag.
Instead of recoil that lifts the barrel, the grip will destroy the heel of your hand.
Every one that I have shot does this, and even with light range reloads, it really hurts and is no fun to shoot.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 12, 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Kreyzhorse

I'd steer clear of Taurus, especially the M85 model. I owned one that was problematic at best. A quick search will find other examples on this forum.

As for Ruger or S&W, you really can't go wrong with either. Both also stand behind their products if you do have any issues.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:20 PM   #12
BoogieMan

Quote:
Many don't seem to take it into account, but a good used 40 year-old S&W K-frame in .38 Special at $400-$500 is one of the greatest handgun bargains out there when you consider that there simply isn't a new production revolver of that quality available at double the money.
I understand what your talking about 100% Like old Belgium Browning, LC Smith, Purdy etc... My buddy has a pre 70's maybe older S&W .38special with 6" barrel and target sights. The F&F and blueing on that gun are impeccable.
I love older handworked guns because they have more personality. New CNC machined guns are fantastic and the fact that they can make and sell them at the price they do is somewhat extraordinary.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 12, 2013, 08:27 PM   #13
edfrompa

Keep away from Tarus.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:58 PM   #14
9mm

Quote:
Nah, the state just needs to stop being so commy, though he should move out so he can enjoy is rights to the fullest.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:15 PM   #15
BoogieMan

Quote:
I grew up with it so its not that big a deal. Gun laws are important but there is more to life. Granted in MO you can go buy a pistol any time you want, but when you want to go Tuna fishing your still coming to NJ. Plus business, properties, family. I will never leave.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 13, 2013, 12:32 AM   #16
Eric M.

Not to hijack thread, but last week I bought a K38 Target Masterpiece made in 1956 that has custom Herrett grips. The gun is in pretty much mint condition. They just don't make guns like that anymore. At the Range it shot as good as it looked.
What a beauty, and I can't believe that it is 57 years old.

Eric
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor 37 yrs
Old February 13, 2013, 09:35 AM   #17
Obambulate

I agree that a classic Smith & Wesson K-frame is hard to beat, especially the K-22 and K-38 Masterpiece (and their newer equivalents Models 14-19)
Old February 22, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
edfrompa

I tuna fish in grocerie store. Live in a gun free state. Taxes are the lowest. The climate is beautiful all year round, Florida!! Gulf Coast. Iived in Jersey shore in the fifties, it was great! Now it has turned into a cesspool. After hurricane sandy it will never ever be the same. You have to love the traffic, especially in the summer or your commute to work.. You will never get a speeding ticket going to the shore. As far as Tarus goes, I would not own one. I have heard too many nightmare stories about Tarus . Maye someone has a good one? Haven't heard lately.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
wrm

I'm very happy with my Taurus 66, bought it back in '94, been carrying it and shooting IDPA with it. Sure, a Smith is better, around here also much more expensive.

Ruger SA and DA, good guns. S&W, always good. Freedom Arms, Dan Wesson, good guns.

I collect Spanish iron, have quite a few of good Astras and Llamas, but if you have the money and can only buy a limited number of guns stick to the brand names.

Make sure you have a 22 and a 357. Anything else is optional :-) Sheesh, get two 22s and two 357s, then branch out. The convertable Rugers are fun. 22/22 mag, or 9mm/357, or 45 Colt/45 ACP.

Don't have experience with Colt, but the Python has a name. This makes it expensive, if you get a good inexpensive one pounce on it.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:28 PM   #20
jad0110

Quote:
I have had my eye on some relic SA's like Luger, P38, Astra, Frommer, FEG etc.. I love commy guns for the crude simplicity.
Yep, guns are one of the very few things commies did right !

If you are looking for a cool, inexpensive commie pistol, the Vz.82 (more commonly called the CZ-82 by most people) in 9x18 mak is a nice handling, great shooting little gun.

Old February 22, 2013, 03:16 PM   #21
jrinne0430

I have owned many Taurus over the years and would recommend staying away from them, their firearms are a hit or miss. If you get one that works, they are great for the money however; it you get a lemon...you will regret having to deal with their so called customer service. Had good luck with Ruger.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:28 PM   #22
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Other than that I plan to go rather instinctive as to what looks good at the store at the given time.
You may end up with 3 diamonds but more than likely you will end up wishing you could take one or two or three of those guns back. Be deliberate about it, shoot them if you can. They must feel right in your hand and you should be able to point them naturally like most of us do with our favorite semi autos or single actions. If it isn't fun to shoot you just wasted money on a dust collector.

Just between you me and the neighbors dog I suggest a variety of types in light and heavy shooters. Maybe 2 revolvers and 2 semi-auto's. I assume you know the 460XVR is a rifle with short legs and a pistol grip so I hope you are stout. Maybe go the other way and get a single six 22 revolver from Ruger for more economical target practice. Then a small bore like 9MM in a DAO action for more get up and go but still economical to shoot. Perhaps go a little more historic and larger like a 1911A1 45 ACP. Been doing what it was designed to do for over a hundred years and still works well today.

Not saying you should go that way but make sure it fits you, (hands and needs) before you plunk down your money because it looks good in the display case.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 22, 2013, 03:43 PM   #23
wooly booger

my 4 handgun battery

Ruger SR22

S&W 686 4"....357

Glock 22....40 S&W

Ruger Super Blackhawk ...44 Mag

stay away from Taurus, HighPoint, Rossi,
Old February 22, 2013, 11:16 PM   #24
Tom327

Here's another list:

S&W 617 4" .22
S&W 686+ 4" .357, 7 shot
Sig P240 .40, or the CZ someone suggested if you like Warsaw Pact arms
Something for carry--S&W K or J frame snub, or Ruger SP 101.
Old February 22, 2013, 11:26 PM   #25
militant

I have a Taurus 605. It has never had an issue. I have a Hi point .45. It has never given me an issue. I have a kel tec pf9. It has always given me problems.