The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 21, 2012, 04:37 PM   #1
bbman25

Buying this Garand vs a trip to the CMP for one?

So I am just looking for some opinions on buying a new M1 since mine is busted. I have already decided i want to buy a new one, so I have been looking around on gunbroker.com at some.

this one I found is right in my price range and is really nice, as you can see in the linked page. the stock is obviously not original but that isnt an issue because I have the stock from my broken garand. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=291748443

seeing as there is only a short time left on this auction, and I would like to have a new rifle in time for the 4th of July family picnic I was considering buying this rifle.

I also have been thinking about the CMP. I only hear good things about their rifles, but I would need to go and renew my membership in the sportsmans club in town in order to buy from them, and ask the guys there to dig up the records of my shooting matches last year (unless the rifle merit badge form boy scouts counts towards the required shooting time??) Anyway, I would need to take care of all of that, plus waiting for the rifle to get here would take a lot longer than 2 weeks. I thought of maybe going on a road trip to the ohio store to pick out a rifle myself, I am pretty picky about serial number, metal finsh and all that. However the cost of taking a trip there would be a few hundred dollars. Really the only thing holding me back besides that, from the CMP, is the time it takes to ship and the fact that I wont be able to pick out the rifle myself without spending a bunch of money to do so.
what do you think of the rifle in the auction vs. a rifle from the CMP?
Please give me your opinions and thoughts, even if the auction is expired when you read this, I still appreciate any input.
Old June 21, 2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Lprmcnit

CMP

My experience with the CMP has been outstanding and both rifles i got were well worth the wait. I believe a ccw permit qualifies you for the experience part of their requirements. You wont be dissapointed if you buy from the CMP.
Old June 21, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3
P5 Guy

Danish VAR barrels are, in good shape, can be very accurate.
The laminated stock, can be replaced.
A CMP Correct Grade while more expensive, would be my first choice.
Old June 21, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
chris in va

Drive there, it's worth the trip. Don't forget Cedar Point is in the area too.
Old June 23, 2012, 08:52 AM   #5
Orlando

Get a Service Grade, best deal for the money $625.00