The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 7, 2002, 07:45 AM   #1
biganimal

small ring mauser????

I have a turkish mauser that I removed the barrel from. I measured the outside diameter of the threads and got 0.99 is this standard for a large ring mauser or a small ring mauser?

tried using the search feature but it only told me to measure the receiver ring then it said that some turks use large ring actions with small ring threads........help!
Old February 7, 2002, 09:43 AM   #2
Clemson

Mauser Model 98 Large Ring is nominally 1.100" diameter threads with a shank .625" long (this varies, measure the rifle in question). Mod 98 Small Ring actions have a .980" thread diameter with a .625" shank. Model 94, 95, and 96 rifles are small ring with a .980 thread diameter and a .645" shank length. All this means that it is not a slam dunk that you can screw a Brownells replacement barrel into any old Mauser and count on a fit. You may need a lathe for your "no lathe" barrel! Turks are all over the place on threads, as you have found out.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old February 7, 2002, 03:55 PM   #3
biganimal

wow!!! so many variables!!!
clemson you're correct as my shank is .710 long......so I take it I have a small ring threads size and a large ring outside (1.410).
I'm very glad I have access to a lathe. I never had this much trouble with the last 3 mauser actions I used. stripped them down bought the bbls and put em together and headspaced and all was well..............