The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2012, 04:45 PM   #1
The Reaver

Dueling/Target pistol help

I was wondering if you guys could recommend some quality manufacturers of these type of guns.

So far I've only looked at Pedersoli, and like their le page and continental models. are there differences in accuracy or reliability between the two?

also, advice on whether flintlock or percussion is preferable for these types of guns would be appreciated.

Last edited by The Reaver; December 14, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
JN01

http://www.thegunworks.com/custprodg...Cat2Option=yes

They make a flint version also.

Flint vs percussion- With good quality, properly tuned guns, they should shoot equally well, but a caplock is probably more trouble free. You have to keep a sharp flint and properly position it for reliable, fast ignition on a rock lock. An improperly hardened frizzen causes problems as well.

Last edited by JN01; December 16, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old December 15, 2012, 10:20 AM   #3
PetahW

I would advise looking for a T/C Patriot ( or two )- The one's I've had were all very accurate.

Old December 15, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4
The Reaver

That is a pretty nice gun!I just prefer the lines of the dueling pistols not including attached ramrods for aesthetic reasons. The le page and continental just seem the most affordable, and I'm trying to figure out what the substantial differences are, or if there's better options available.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:51 PM   #5
JN01

Fixed the link on my previous post so it goes directly to the pistol.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:13 PM   #6
The Reaver

Are you two guys the only ones on the board with experience or interest in this class of firearm? I'm kind of surprised.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:51 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Stay away from Traditions' Trapper. It doesn't look right (too much wood between the trigger guard and the bottom of the lockplate) and quality is not there. I had to ream out the ramrod hole lower so the ramrod would go in. Thanks to the ramrod retaining spring, I can't get the ramrod out of the gun and that means you can't take the gun apart. Right now I have it assembled and am hoping the spring will wear out so it will be easier.

Other folks had to retime their drum on a lathe (the nipple was at the wrong angle) and a classmate had to bend the hammer so it would strike the nipple. The wood itself is a mystery wood and is soft for a hardwood. That means it won't cut easily.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:22 AM   #8
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaver
Are you two guys the only ones on the board with experience or interest in this class of firearm? I'm kind of surprised.
Because you specified looking for "Dueling/Target" pistol help, I thought that the question was pretty cut and dry that you're excluding underhammers, more modern styles and inline target pistols.
AFAIK Pedersoli is one of the largest, best and only current manufacturer of the target models that you're asking about that are being imported into the U.S. and which are most readily available.
Perhaps a Blue Book of Long Arms & Pistols would provide you with some information about more models that I don't enough about and wouldn't know where to buy them if I did.

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Produ...ts.aspx?id=105

An older but still useful 2nd edition of The Blue Book of Modern Black Powder Values: Second Edition from 2002 can be found used on Amazon for as low as $12.17:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Modern-Bl.../dp/1886768323

I recall reading that the Le Page is an extremely accurate pistol, but I've never heard of the Continental. I think that many shooter's prefer a certain caliber, as well as the lock style. In the hands of a well-practiced shooter, I don't know why one model or lock style would be any more or less accurate than another. I suppose that the faster lock time of a percussion gun would be a benefit. But I'm reasonably sure that's not always the case. Depending on the type of competition, flint and percussion pistols may not even be shooting in the same matches. There are probably more production models available in Europe if you find a model that you really like that's not available in the U.S. or no longer made. Otherwise many target pistols could be custom or semi-custom designs that are made to order by any number of gun making outfits and/or individual builders.
Sometimes there are uncommon used models available that can be found by scouring the gun auction sites, which the importers of are not identifiable. That's because individuals can import them from Europe on their own without needing any special import license.
How much are you looking to spend?
What's the purpose, for local club matches, for more advanced NMLRA competition, or mostly for personal recreation & enjoyment?

Last edited by arcticap; December 18, 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old December 18, 2012, 05:22 AM   #9
The Reaver

Ideally, I'd prefer to keep this at $1000 or below.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
arcticap

I found a product page for an Armisport Le Page .45 percussion pistol that appears to be distributed by Chiappa Firearms of Dayton, Ohio..
It comes in a premium set, a cased set, by itself, with a 4.5mm practice barrel or as a target model with a small rear adjustable target sight.
Here's the product page:

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/products/89

And here's a 53 second video showing much of its detail from different angles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYOs5RaeJcQ
Old December 18, 2012, 09:41 AM   #11
The Reaver

That has to be one of the most beautiful guns I've ever seen. any idea where it's sold?
Old December 18, 2012, 10:35 AM   #12
arcticap

Call Taylor's Firearms.
It looks like they might have it for $873.00.
They have a product page set up for it.
And they're a distributor.

For customer service
and to order.

Home page:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/

Le Page product page:

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/napol...ge-pistol.html

If they don't have it then call Dixie Gun Works, they're also a distributor:

800-238-6785

http://dixiegun.com/

Last edited by arcticap; December 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:49 PM   #13
The Reaver

oh, in reply to your earlier question, this is mainly for personal enjoyment. I just enjoy having weapons be both good looking and functional as possible.