The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 4, 2012, 09:54 PM   #26
Salmoneye

Quote:
Salmoneye,

How it came to pass is unclear in post #1, but the photograph is pretty clear why he is trying to seat it now. The primer prevents the cartridge from coming out of the shell holder.

I speculate that Sigcurious was loading in a Turret Press using the continuous mode, completed all the operations (except only partially completed the primer seating part) and discovered the problem, a bullet that would not come out of the shell holder because of a primer not fully seated.

Lost Sheep
Ahh...That makes sense then...

I do not load on a progressive, so it did not occur to me that all of the operations were going on simultaneously...

Would the short stroke not have affected all other operations also?

May he have a cartridge with an under resized case (loose neck), one with a short charge, and one with a soft crimp also then?

ADDING:

Never mind...I just reread where his setup primes on the down stroke...
Old August 4, 2012, 09:58 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Primes on downstroke and the Turret is not a progressive. One case at a time, one operation per pull, 3 or 4 pulls per completed round. Must faster than a single, slower than a progressive.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:03 PM   #28
farmerboy

I know nothing about a turret or progressive myself. Started with a RCBS Rockchucker and still load on same. That's been about 16 years ago and wouldn't chane a thing.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:14 PM   #29
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you tried a Classic Turret you might.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:17 PM   #30
farmerboy

Maybe so but don't care to change.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:28 PM   #31
Salmoneye

I know nothing about a turret or progressive myself. Started with a RCBS Rockchucker and still load on same. That's been about 16 years ago and wouldn't chane a thing.

Heck...I'm still using the only press I have ever owned/used, and that's a long time...

It's a Lee Hand Press...
Old August 4, 2012, 10:36 PM   #32
farmerboy

Some people you can sell all the new fangled things too or the latest and greatest others love a certain brand/type and loyal to that. Me, if you cut me with a knife I'll bleed Green! I want to know what the Op did or is going to do with this round???? Update us please.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:39 PM   #33
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The OP updated us in post #15 and reminded us in post #21.
Old August 4, 2012, 10:49 PM   #34
farmerboy

Thanks
Old August 4, 2012, 11:02 PM   #35
SL1

Since some posters seem to think that a healthy respect for primers is akin to paranoia, let me relate some experience that I acquired while much younger, in a society that tolerated such foolishness:

I happened to have some Remington .44-40 smokeless powder loads that I had decided I did NOT want to shoot in a very old 1873 Winchester (made in 1884, I think). So, to me, those cartridges were useless and surplus. This was in the days when cherry bombs were legal and plentiful, so loud explosions did not bring the police unless you actually blew-up something that belonged to somebody else. So, a few of us decided to see what would happen if we taped a thumb tack to the bottom of a cartridge with the point against the primer and dropped it off a bridge onto a concrete pad. With a little tape "tail" on the bullet's nose to make the cartridge fall stably with the primer down, we found out that those rounds went off with a bang that made cherry bombs come in a close second. Of course, we were careful to avoid exposure to the brass shrapnel. Pieces of the case and the bullets were hard to find on a pad that was the width of 2 road lanes. (They were the old balloon head cases, so there was not much mass in the case heads for these particular cartridges, and we never found even an intact case head.)

So, the moral of this story is that IF a primer goes off in a loaded cartridge that is not confined in any way, it very well may EXPLODE rather than simply poof the bullet out of the case.

And, sometimes a primer DOES go off while being seated. It only happens rarely. But, it happens while seating a primer in a loaded cartridge, see "bang" above.

So, while people can and do get away unscathed while doing dangerous things, that does NOT indicate that those things were safe to do.

Ok, now the information is out there, and each of you can make an INFORMED choice about how YOU will handle YOUR OWN little problems as they come up.

SL1
Old August 4, 2012, 11:26 PM   #36
joneb

Quote:
Pulling that bullet could be extremely dangerous. There are multiple documented instances of a primer igniting because a shell holder was used in a kinetic puller.
Then try the method in post # 18
Old August 4, 2012, 11:52 PM   #37
Edward429451

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a single stage type shell holder. How do you get powder and bullet on top of a high primer single stage? A turret press and only loading one at a time with no inspection between steps?

One of the reason I like to batch load. Starting with primed brass has more going for it than I had previously realized. I've only been doing it because it makes my loading op flow smoother.
Old August 5, 2012, 01:15 AM   #38
ROGER4314

I have several kinetic pullers and prefer those but I wondered how my collet type puller would work on that? The bullet looked pretty tapered and the collet may not grip it. The round is already in the shell holder and it might work. I have the Hornady Cam Loc and a full set of collets so it would be worth a try.

I draw the line at reseating the primer on a loaded round. I'd destroy the round before I'd risk injury over 25 cents.

Flash
Old August 5, 2012, 01:39 AM   #39
sigcurious

For clarification, it's possible because the classic turret primes on the down stroke of the decap/size operation. Priming itself on the classic turret requires more of a down stroke than is required for the rest of the operations. There's not much feedback on the priming portion, and I'm a noob so I had only been checking the primer seating after the rounds were completed.

But thanks to this incident, I've added another step. Check the primers!
Old August 5, 2012, 01:41 AM   #40
farmerboy

That's the main thing is an experience to learn from.
Old August 5, 2012, 02:23 AM   #41
jcwit

Quote:
Progress is a terrible thing!

I now know why I use a hand primer while watching TV.

No problems with partially seated primers. I have dedicated hand primer tools, Lee old style with the screw in shell holders, for the very few calibers I do not have the old Lee's for I use a Hornady hand primer.

Been doing it this way for over 50 years, but I have up graded with new technology when it fits my needs.
Old August 5, 2012, 05:54 AM   #42
Powderman

The easiest way is to:

a. Put the shellholder with cartridge back into the press.
b. Remove the die.
c. Raise the ram until the bullet itself comes through the top.
d. With a pair of vise grips or channel locks (yes, you're going to ruin the bullet) clamp onto the bullet HARD, and lower the ram. The bullet will separate.
e. Empty the powder, reseat the primer and continue.

Another option is to purchase an RCBS Collet Bullet puller. These work in the same way as described above, but won't damage the bullet that much.

Finally, learn from the experience. Good luck!
Old August 5, 2012, 10:24 AM   #43
603Country

Powderman is absolutely correct. It's quick and safe to do it that way (and smart).
Old August 5, 2012, 10:53 AM   #44
David Bachelder

Hats off to JibJab and Powderman.

Common sense prevails.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #45
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward429451
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's a single stage type shell holder. How do you get powder and bullet on top of a high primer single stage? A turret press and only loading one at a time with no inspection between steps?

One of the reason I like to batch load. Starting with primed brass has more going for it than I had previously realized. I've only been doing it because it makes my loading op flow smoother.
You are correct, that is a single stage type shell holder and a turret press only does one step at a time.

But a turret press can process in continuous mode as easily as in batch mode.

In batch mode, you are correct, the OP would not have gone past the priming step. In continuous mode, the case is processed all the way through all steps before (attempting) removal of the finished cartridge from the press.

Here is how it can work like that. The turret press operating in continuous mode:

Insert empty case in the press
Size/deprime on the upstroke
prime on the downstroke
Rotate the turret head to the next die station
Bell the case mouth and charge the case (through the powder-through die)
rotate the turret head to the next die station
place a bullet on the case mouth
Seat the bullet on the upstroke
rotate the turret head to the next die station
Crimp the case
Remove the finished cartridge (unless the primer is not seated properly).
rotate the turret head to the next die station (Station #1)
Repeat

While the continuous mode processing does not prevent individual case inspection between steps it does strongly tend to discourage it in favor of batch inspection at other points in the process (where the batch mode processing makes only a little preference).

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; August 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #46
Elkins45

Quote:
a. Put the shellholder with cartridge back into the press.
b. Remove the die.
c. Raise the ram until the bullet itself comes through the top.
d. With a pair of vise grips or channel locks (yes, you're going to ruin the bullet) clamp onto the bullet HARD, and lower the ram. The bullet will separate.
This is my method for pulling ANY cast bullet, since I can just remelt it and make it like new again. It's also faster than using an inertial puller if you don't care about saving the bullet.