The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2001, 07:37 PM   #1
Duke of Lawnchair

Hello,

I have been trying to figure out what gunsmiths mean by "unitized" gas cylinder. Does this mean that the spindle valve assy. is spot welded, or somehow made unable to rotate? Also, what is a "National Match" ferrule? What can possibly be done to the front ferrule to make it "National Match?" I keep hearing these terms and can't find ANY information in regards to them. Please forgive my ignorance on the subject matter. I'm fairly new to the M1A/M14 world.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old February 13, 2001, 07:22 PM   #2
Rokchukrslave

A unitized gas system is when the gas manifold and the piece(if forget the name)behind it that holds the top of the handguard on are either welded or screwed together. My Springfield M1A had two screws holding it together. A National Match stock ferrule is opened up to make the barrel and gas manifold free floating. The only parts that should touch are the very bottom of the stock ferrule and the bottom "hook" of the piece that holds the handguard on. Most competitive shooters will keep the touching parts lubed with their grease of choice to try to keep everything consistent.
Old February 14, 2001, 07:14 PM   #3
Mouse Gun

Jim, What Rokchukerslave said was true and I'll add that the best way of unitizing is the screw method. Even when TIG welding the front band to the cylinder you risk distorting the innner wall of the cylinder. If one would choose to unitize by welding you need the gas cylinder with the small tab on the bottom of it or you may be doomed to failure in that respect. Scott Duff's book(M14 Owner's Guide)is great and I recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about the care, feeding and accurizing of their M14/M1A.

Brian
Old February 15, 2001, 03:48 PM   #4
Duke of Lawnchair

Thank you!

Thank you both for answering my questions. Now I FINALLY know what these modifications are all about. Also, I heard that if you were to "free-float" the M1A/M14 it would require the receiver to be double-lugged, front and rear. Is this true?

Thanks!
Jim
Old February 15, 2001, 04:26 PM   #5
BBBBill

Duke, get yourself a copy of Kuhnhausen's book on M-1/M-14/M-1A rifles. It will explain everything you could possibly think of on the subject. I've got one & I must say that it is outstanding. There are a few differences of opinion on the subject, but the bulk of the info is accepted by all as the "Gospel of the Garand" guns. Brownell's has them.
Old February 15, 2001, 07:20 PM   #6
Rokchukrslave

Duke,
I would say that needing a double lug reciever to free float is BS. Take a look at a Springfield National Match rifle, they don't have any lugs. The importance of lugs is arguable in M1A's. From what I have heard they don't make a rifle shoot any better, but maybe might make the bedding last a little longer.