The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2001, 11:53 PM   #1
Clark

When the barrel is groove centered at both ends in the lathe, and a full chamber is to be cut, how does one hold the chamber reamer?

I am inferring that one doesn't just put it in the chuck in the tailstock, it somehow must float. TIA Clark
Old February 13, 2001, 01:56 AM   #2
Badger Arms

A Real Gunsmithing question?

Wow, that's a deep question. Always been to cheap to get a lathe. What are you going and making me feel jealous for?
Old February 13, 2001, 08:50 AM   #3
Jim V

There are.......

floating reamer holders that fit in the tailstock. MSC Industrial Supply Co. http://www.mscdirect.com should have them in stock. Heck, it is worth getting their catalog for any industrial supplies. Get enough of the catalogs and you can armor your walls, the catalogs are that big.

Old February 13, 2001, 08:56 AM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Clark, Clymer sells a floating reamer holder like JimV mentioned just for holding reamers. I use one when I can but a lot of smiths hold the reamer with a tap wrench. The tap wrench is either held by the left hand or allowed to rest on the compound rest. No matter how you do it the most important thing is that the bore is running true. The easiest way to get it running true is to use a barrel centering bar and your dial indicator. Brownells http://www.brownells.com sells the bar for around $65. They also sell the floating holder. George
Old February 14, 2001, 01:44 PM   #5
Wallew

I concur with George. I hold mine by hand AND use the tail stock to gauge depth. Double control and careful slow cuts are the key to a good chamber.