The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 2, 2017, 06:54 PM   #1
rmocarsky

Island hog hunt

Hog hunters:

I just found out about this place on an island near Bainbridge, PA that is similar to a game preserve, in that they place hogs on the island and then bring hunters onto the island to harvest them.

The cost is $375 regardless of the size of the hog.

From what I can find, it is not much of a hunt more like just harvesting a pretty big (300 lb. or so) farm pig with your choice of weapon.

The outfit even has a nearby Amish butcher where they will transport your hog to. The meat cutter will do your hog for around $200 and you pick it up a couple of weeks later.

Reports are that the pork is vastly superior to store bought with bacon, sausage, smoked hams, etc.

Now on Youtube there are a couple of vids about the place. It is called Mohr's Widowmaker Island Hunt.

The vids actually made me feel like if I were involved, I would feel pretty stupid.

But . . . for that kind of money, to get that much supposedly superior pork, might it not be a financially wise means of harvest? I mean, just do not view it as sport, and dispatch the hog as humanely as possible and it is harvesting.

Thoughts?

Rmocarsky
Old August 2, 2017, 07:48 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

$575 works out to some rather expensive pork. That system obviates the concept of "hunting". It's just killing a hog. GW
Old August 2, 2017, 08:48 PM   #3
rmocarsky

I agree Goatwhiskers.

But, I was just wondering if it was a financially sound purchase.

Yet you say it is expensive.

That's why I am asking, because I don't know.

It is not hunting; it is no different than slaughtering livestock except, it need not be done humanely, as slaughtering done by farmers, I am sure, is done as humanely as is possible.

Rmocarsky
Old August 2, 2017, 09:07 PM   #4
TXAZ

If you're doing it for the price of meat, it's expensive. (Like going trout fishing in Peru, the cost per pound or per fish is out of sight.)

If you're doing it for the experience, then it's probably worthwhile if you understand what you're getting and giving and think that's a good price/experience.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 2, 2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Doc7

https://youtu.be/bz8KkLOyGMA

I don't like to judge hunting experiences, given that my "hunt" is sitting in a ground blind over a clover plot I've worked on. But this is definitely not something I would ever spend any money on, let alone 575+ dollars...
Old August 3, 2017, 01:27 AM   #6
bamaranger

hog hunt

One of our regular members, Jack O'Conner I think, posted some info and pics on a hog hunt he did in southwest PA or thereabouts. It was not your island hunt, but it was on some pvt. land adjacent tracts of State Game Lands.

As I recall, O'Conner was pleased with his results and cost ratio. His posts are pretty down to earth. You might do a search, or PM him.
Old August 3, 2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Mobuck

"Reports are that the pork is vastly superior to store bought with bacon, sausage, smoked hams, etc."

Worms, trichinosis, tuberculosis, maybe some parvo, BVD, and any number of unknown parasites/diseases.
Hogs "in the wild" are the ground level scavengers and consume ANYTHING they can reach. I'd rather go "dumpster diving" behind a good restaurant than eat a 300# semi-wild hog. IMHO
Old August 3, 2017, 07:20 AM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
575 works out to some rather expensive pork. That system obviates the concept of "hunting". It's just killing a hog. GW
You guys haven't priced bacon or sausage lately, have you? <$2/lb, cut and wrapped, isn't bad at all - IF the meat is any good. All comes down to what those animals are eating on that island - if it is man-made stuff from feeders, then just head to a state where you can hunt wild ones all night.......the kind that will sometimes hunt you......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 22, 2017, 02:14 AM   #9
979Texas

Well I grew up on a Texas ranch so I have never had to pay for hunting or fishing in my life, so I might not be the most knowledgeable person in regards to this subject. But while that does sound high for pork, the price for the hunt in relativity does not sound too bad. If this is something that you wish to do for the experience as well as the meat then by all means do it. At the end of the day this is you who is considering going on this hunt, not us, so go ahead and go, it doesn't sound like a rip off in relativity.
Also pork is a pretty cheap protein, but bacon has gotten unreasonably priced in the last 6 months. And some sausages and hams cost more than they should these days also. But if you use your pork for cured charcuterie items then I would say that you could come close to or even save money as far as cost of hunted pork vs. cost of store bought pork. Because cured charcuterie items are very expensive but they are incredible and delicious, and if my wallet allowed it then I would indulge on those cured items on a daily basis. But they are very expensive so I cant. Also with most cured charcuterie items they will last almost forever until you cut into them as long as they are in casings.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

What is the net weight--percentage--of edible meat from a hog? 40%? 50%?

What are the odds of a 300-pound Big Pig, vs. his little brother at 150 or 200?

Don't forget the travel costs.