The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 26, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Dead

Louisiana: NFA firearm, Living Trust or LLC route?

What would be the best route to acquire NFA firearms/suppressors that could be used by the primary holder (a LA resident) and myself and my dad (living outside of LA)? Current I have a legal plan that would assist with either option so I would like some input in the pro/cons of each for the state of LA.

Primary items that would be purchased are SBR, AOW, and suppressors.

Thank you for any information in advance.
Old August 26, 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
medalguy

Well, if anyone wants to shoot them without the "primary holder" being present, I believe a trust would be about the only reasonable way to do it. A corporation would work but you have the additional burden of filing a corporate tax return every year and likely paying a tax on all assets in the corporation each year. At least we do in Texas.

Anyone in Louisiana have comments?
Old August 26, 2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Jason_G

Quote:
Anyone in Louisiana have comments?
No, but I'd like to know as well. I've been thinking of getting a suppressor. I live in what used to be the sticks, but the city is starting to expand out to my neck of the woods. I'm still outside the city limits, so I can shoot all I want in my backyard, but I don't want the "Starbuck's yuppies" at the new city park tennis courts they just built next to my property calling the PD if I decide to pop a yote. I wonder what they're gonna do on opening day of dove season, because I will be out there with my Wingmaster shooting some birds. Hope they don't mind getting some pellets rained on them occasionally.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 27, 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
Dead

Thanks I am going with the Trust it looks like
Old August 27, 2011, 08:24 AM   #5
PawPaw

While I profess an extreme ignorance of the NFA laws, I admit that I'm intrigued. If I wanted to own such a firearm, I'd be tempted to talk with one of the dealers in this state who deal in such items and ask them for the name of a good attorney versed in the particulars of such a situation.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 27, 2011, 05:17 PM   #6
medalguy

I would definitely recommend the good atorney route. Lots of guys use Willmaker or another boiler plate trust maker program and do it themselves, but the issues are I believe way too important to try to use a "one size fits all" generic computer program. After all, if done wrong, BATFE can rule the trust invalid and you could end up losing all your toys. Pay a couple hundred bucks and do it right. And have an attorney willing to back his work up in court if challenged.

I don't know of any Louisiana attorneys, but we have some excellent ones on the Texas Gun Talk forum. Drop in and look up their threads.