The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 1999, 01:47 PM   #1
skipperJ

When I closed my hunting/fishing store in 1986 I kept 8 lbs of Norma 204. It's in the original canisters which are sealed, never opened. I cannot find a load for this powder using the Hornady 140 gr. bullet. Can anyone help me out.

The Norma online manual does provide loads for 130 and 150 gr. bullets, but not the 140.

Thanks (I edited to remove the html which I stuck in my post. It's UBB, stupid)

[This message has been edited by skipperJ (edited November 13, 1999).]
Old November 12, 1999, 02:42 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

skipperJ, In general it is not a wise practice to interpolate loads from other loads using different components. But, your case, I feel, doesn't fall into the unsafe category. IMX, you can use the listed loads for the 150 gr (not the 130) safely with the 140 gr bullet as long as the bullets are from the same mfg as used in the listed loads. The max for the 140 would probably be a little higher, but since there is no specific data for it, I wouldn't venture trying to find a max, just use the max for the 150 and you should be safe.
Old November 13, 1999, 03:07 PM   #3
skipperJ

Thanks. I know how to find the max load for this bullet weight/powder combo. I was just hoping that someone with a Hornady manuel could make it easier for me. That assumes that a Hornady manual has a load for N 204.
Old November 13, 1999, 03:52 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

I checked the Hornady manual before posting, it doesn't list Norma powders for 270.
Old November 14, 1999, 09:07 AM   #5
skipperJ

Thanks, Mal H. That's what I was afraid of. It looks like I'll be lugging my reloading gear out to the range.
Old November 19, 1999, 11:37 AM   #6
skipperJ

Just a report to anyone who may be interested. I took my reloading equipment to the range yesterday to find a safe/ideal load for Norma 204 and the Hornady 140 gr. 270 cal. B.T.S.P.,Federal large rifle primer; rifle is a Winchester Mod. 70 Featherweight manufactured by US Repeating Arms right after they bought the rights to the rifle production in the early 1980's.

First load was 54 gr. and the primer showed no signs of pressure. I fired loads up to 55.5 grains at which point the primer started to seriously flatten out. So I loaded up and fired some three shot groups for accuracy and found that the 54 gr. load was the most accurate. Groups measuring right around 1" at 100 yds. When I purchased the rifle I free-floated the bbl. and glass bedded the stock and action. It has always been a really good shooter, in fact better than several custom built varmit rifles which I have put together over the years.