The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 19, 2023, 10:59 AM   #1
stagpanther

S&W 460 XVR

I've never had a S&W revolver--thinking about making this possibly my first.

and go!....
Old January 19, 2023, 05:14 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

I don't have much use for revolvers above .44 magnum. However the .460 is attractive in that you can shoot 460, 454, or 45 out of it.

I have fired on occasion a friend's 460 and found it to be very accurate (hitting water bottles at 50 yards) and lots of fun to shoot with full house loads.
Old January 19, 2023, 08:29 PM   #3
stagpanther

That ability to go up and down with cartridges is extremely attractive to me--the part I'm having a bit of trouble with is figuring out whether it's better to have the fixed muzzle brake on the longer barrel models or go with one shorter but has swap-out compensators.
Old January 19, 2023, 08:40 PM   #4
HKGuns

Nope, too much gun for that package.

Get a nice 44 Mag instead.

The 460 is the ONLY firearm I have found unpleasant to shoot. My teeth and jaw hurt for a week after shooting a cylinder of 460’s.

At the very least do yourself a favor and shoot one first.
Old January 20, 2023, 12:53 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
My teeth and jaw hurt for a week after shooting a cylinder of 460’s.My teeth and jaw hurt for a week after shooting a cylinder of 460’s.
You fired one with the fixed muzzle brake? I've seen comments that one sends tremendous concussion back to the shooter.
Old January 20, 2023, 01:01 AM   #6
HKGuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
You fired one with the fixed muzzle brake? I've seen comments that one sends tremendous concussion back to the shooter.

Yep. It was flipping unbelievable. Never again…..My buddy who owned it, consigned it the next week.
Old January 20, 2023, 01:22 AM   #7
stagpanther

Thanks for the comments. I shot blackhawks for years in 41 and 44 mag, even those have a lot of muzzle lift. Lots utube vids make the 460 S&W seem pretty tame with a compensator or brake.
Old January 20, 2023, 11:00 AM   #8
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I've never had a S&W revolver--thinking about making this possibly my first.

and go!....
Whaaaat? How is this possible? Since you already have shot .41 mag, just look for a nice Model 57, then get a matching Henry BBS. Mine will be buried with me.
Old January 20, 2023, 11:05 AM   #9
stagpanther

Still have my 41 and 44's, though not in S&W or Henry. I kinda got suckered by "fastest handgun on earth."
Old January 20, 2023, 12:04 PM   #10
DaleA

I've fired this one a few times and didn't think it was objectionable at all.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/x-frame-163460
If you can't get to the web page it's the S&W Model 460XVR with the 8.38 inch barrel and the 'removable, interchangeable compensator'---firing the compensator for jacketed bullets not the one for lead bullets.

An important note: we were firing Hornady 200 grain FTX S&W rounds.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...-200-gr-ftx#!/
Naturally if you're firing heavier loads (and there are several heavier loads out there) recoil is going to be worse but I had no problem shooting the Hornady 200 grain rounds.

Just as an indication of what I think of as objectionable recoil is a Ruger LCR .357 magnum firing Magtech .357 magnum 158 grain bullets. After 5 rounds I decided I just won't do that again. I fired some 110 grain .357 magnum rounds out of the LCR and thought I'd be okay firing 15 or 20 rounds at one range session but that would be about it for me. My personal opinion is the .357 magnum LCR is a vicious little beast but well-made and serves a purpose but recoil-wise it's the worst handgun I've ever fired and that includes the S&W 460XVR mentioned above.

P.S. The S&W 460XVR above came with two compensators. One for jacketed bullets and one for lead. The owner said we could have fired some heavier rounds but he didn't want to go through the trouble of changing the compensator. The owner said he had made a half-hearted attempt to remove the jacketed compensator that was the one installed on the gun when it was shipped but he was reluctant to try too hard and risk screwing up gun. (It was brand new at the time I got to fire it...first outing to the range).

As usual your mileage may very but I thought the gun was really neat even though it is a HUGE firearm and I mean that, HUGE (and I say that owning a Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk which to my way of thinking is merely BIG).
Old January 20, 2023, 12:21 PM   #11
reddog81

I have the 8.3" XVR with compensator you can swap out. Shooting 2200 FPS 200 Grain Hornady loads out of it isn't any worse than shooting 44 Mag loads out of my 29-2 or even full strength 45 ACP loads out of my airweight 325 PD.
Old January 20, 2023, 01:14 PM   #12
stagpanther

Quote:
I have the 8.3" XVR with compensator you can swap out. Shooting 2200 FPS 200 Grain Hornady loads out of it isn't any worse than shooting 44 Mag loads out of my 29-2 or even full strength 45 ACP loads out of my airweight 325 PD.
Good info--what I would like to know is does the compensator seem to direct concussion waves back at you, as apparently the braked version does? Are the compensators specific to different cartridges--or just relative to the power of the load you think might be?
Old January 20, 2023, 02:21 PM   #13
reddog81

I have only shot a handful of the factory loads and about 500 reloads, most being moderate strength in the 1300 to 1500 FPS range with powder coated lead bullets. Other than trying out the "lead" compensator once, I just leave the "regular" compensator on it I haven't ever noticed anything being blown back at me. I have old .22 revolvers that spit more blow back and crud than the 460.

I think the "lead" comp is supposed to be used with traditional lead lubed bullets because they create more debris exiting the muzzle. With enough build up the small ports could get clogged or maybe the front sight will get coated with crud. I'm not 100% sure...
Old January 20, 2023, 02:42 PM   #14
HKGuns

Equating it to a 44 Mag is simply inaccurate.

I’ve shot a ton of 44 Mag and can shoot it easily for extended periods of time.

Again, shoot it first OP.
Old January 20, 2023, 05:51 PM   #15
DaleA

HK Guns-do you remember what ammunition you used and what the barrel length was?

Also, your advice about try before you buy is always a good idea.
Old January 20, 2023, 06:05 PM   #16
HKGuns

S&W 460 XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleA View Post
HK Guns-do you remember what ammunition you used and what the barrel length was?

Also, your advice about try before you buy is always a good idea.
ETA:

I found the video........So you can see the exact pistol. I also asked my buddy who owned the gun and he sent me a picture of the rounds we were shooting.

Winchester 460 S&W Mag - 260 gr DJHP Bonded Hunting

The rounds are in the green box, sitting on the table. I went on to finish the rest of the cylinder, but really didn't want any more after those shots. I don't typically have that reaction when shooting.

Yeah I used the wrong thumb to cock the hammer, sue me, I was holding on pretty seriously.

460 VXR - First and Last Range Trip

Last edited by HKGuns; January 20, 2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old January 20, 2023, 06:33 PM   #17
stagpanther

trying before buying is great advice, though I kinda doubt anyone near me has one.
Old January 20, 2023, 07:16 PM   #18
DaleA

HK Guns thanks for the info.

Range rentals...maybe not the 460 but perhaps the S&W X-Frame 500. Many of the rental ranges get requests for 'the biggest gun out there' and have it available. However maybe in your area folks are more sane. And maybe I should put a smiley emoji after that.
Old January 20, 2023, 07:40 PM   #19
44caliberkid

Hickok 45 has a nice video review of one on YouTube.
Old January 20, 2023, 07:49 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

As for the Smith & Wesson part: Yes, absolutely. And yes, it's true that the new Smith revolvers don't have quite the workmanship as the older ones (I have both, so I know first-hand); but they're still great guns.

As for the 460 XVR part: At 60 years old, I'm probably not the demographic to ask. My recoil junkie days are over. I have two 44 Mags (both Smith 629's) and recoil desire is more than completely satisfied after a cylinder's worth or two, per range trip these days. 460? No thanks.

I will add this: I would go with the 460 over the 500 S&W. As Willie Lowman already explained, the 460 is more versatile.
Old January 21, 2023, 09:03 AM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
As for the 460 XVR part: At 60 years old, I'm probably not the demographic to ask.
Well, I turn 65 this year, so maybe you are.
Old January 21, 2023, 11:17 AM   #22
reddog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
I was holding on pretty seriously.
Holding the gun with a death grip isn't correct form. Loosen up a bit and it won't be so bad. Roll with the recoil.
Old January 21, 2023, 12:28 PM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
Holding the gun with a death grip isn't correct form. Loosen up a bit and it won't be so bad. Roll with the recoil.
I'm the last person in the world who should judge another's handgun technique--but I had the same thought when I watched the vid.
Old January 22, 2023, 11:47 PM   #24
saleen322

We have a 460, 8 3/8" barrel. I shot 4" Smith 29s that were more unpleasant than the 460. This is a heavy revolver and it takes up a lot of the recoil due to the weight. I am 67 and have no problems with the recoil but you want good ear protection. Bottom line is short of maybe a Freedom Arms revolver, this thing is about the most accurate revolver you can get. It will shoot groups under 2" @ 100 yards.
Old January 23, 2023, 11:45 AM   #25
stagpanther

That's amazing--with handloads or factory ammo?