The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2023, 10:40 AM   #26
Marco Califo

Luddites

Quote:
The first being that volumetric powder measures don't operate on weight, and the second is that for most reloading, precision down to +/- 0.1gr isn't significant.
And when it is, that's what SCALES are for...
That is exactly the problem the Chargemaster solved! Dispensing onto a scale, while, linking scale and powder dispenser - automagically.
If you are anti-electric, then unplug your modem, router, keyboard and monitor, and enjoy the darkness.
Old March 21, 2023, 12:57 PM   #27
zeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Califo View Post
That is exactly the problem the Chargemaster solved! Dispensing onto a scale, while, linking scale and powder dispenser - automagically.
If you are anti-electric, then unplug your modem, router, keyboard and monitor, and enjoy the darkness.
Not wanting to rely on electronic reloading equipment has nothing to do with modems, electronic communications etc. Being anti electric in a discussion on powder measuring should be taken in context.
Old March 21, 2023, 02:20 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

I'm not at all "anti electric", I have tons of things that are electric, including the majority of my house. But, I also like to have some things, like the wood stove in my living room (or the oil lamp in the closet) that work when the electric company does not.

I have nothing against any of the electric reloading tools, (other then the cost ) fine for the home shop, I just like the idea that I could, if necessary reload just fine when the power is out.
Old March 21, 2023, 03:08 PM   #29
Marco Califo

I do have a Redding balance beam scale, NIB, and #55 and PPM ready for that eventuality. But will not give up the Chargemaster.
Old March 21, 2023, 03:20 PM   #30
RoyceP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
There are a couple points that are usually overlooked in this kind of discussion. The first being that volumetric powder measures don't operate on weight, and the second is that for most reloading, precision down to +/- 0.1gr isn't significant.

And when it is, that's what SCALES are for...
Volumetric powder measures (and dippers etc) work. The weighing of every charge proves that. Once you establish what weight you get from a certain powder lot you are done weighing because they all weigh the same.

Last edited by RoyceP; March 21, 2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old March 21, 2023, 05:01 PM   #31
zeke

And i sure ain't reloading by candle/oil lamp light, and my case rumbler plugs in.
Old March 21, 2023, 08:51 PM   #32
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Once you establish what weight you get from a certain powder lot you are done weighing because they all weigh the same.

Yes, IF you are uniform on the method used to fill the measuring cavity. Dippers work, very repeatably, IF the user is.

Quote:
And i sure ain't reloading by candle/oil lamp light, and my case rumbler plugs in.
Nor am I reloading by lamp light, but I could, if I needed to. And my tumbler plugs in, too!
Old March 21, 2023, 11:00 PM   #33
tangolima

I have rcbs uniflow. It is alright. I use it for all my loads, except for one caliber or two. I have trained myself to do +/-0.1 to 0.15gr on regular basis. It came with 2 vernier inserts; rifle and pistol. I don't know where the rifle insert is. I won't be needing it till I get myself into loading magnum rifle rounds. The smaller diameter of the pistol insert gives me better precision. I have worn out its original plastic drop tubes. The aluminum replacements work better.

Is +/-0.1gr good enough? It depends. I like using percentage. 0.1gr out of a 50gr 30-06 load is 0.2%. Not bad. 0.1gr out of a 5gr pistol load is problematic 2%. MV varies with powder charge almost percent to percent. So I can't use it for my .25acp with charge barely over 2gr. For those rare occasions, I have trickler with electronic scale that can resolve 1mg (0.02gr).

Talking about scale. I did try balance scale. I can't bear it. When I use it to set up the uniflow, it tells over or under with ok speed. But it would be pulling teeth if I want to know over/under by how much. I need that to adjust the vernier on the uniflow.

I have been experimenting with .223 loads lately. 0.2gr out of 25gr is 0.8%. For MV of 3000fps, I shouldn't be surprised to see MV variations of +/-20fps or more. I have noticed spread opened up when I switched from ball to stick powder. Perhaps I will do trickling.

Electronic dispenser is cool. But I'm too cheap to spend the money. Trickling does the same.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old March 22, 2023, 03:36 AM   #34
Woody'sDad

I have accumulated quite a few over the past 50 years, so here goes with my experiences.
First off since you asked about accuracy I need to say that I just recently went with the A&D with the powder trickle or system from Adam McDonald and there is nothing and I repeat nothing that is going to get more accurate for our needs however, it comes at a cost Now in regards to the other throwers I have the Herrels is really accurate but you’ve got to get a rhythm to get consistent. The unit flow from RCBS is the oldest in the stable still works beautifully. I have had a Lymans auto dispenser. It was OK, but crapped out after just a couple of years and I went with a RCBS unit (with the straw insert) and probably use it when I don’t need ultimate precision it usually gets me to 0.1 grain consistently. There is also a Hornady LnL thrower on my AP and it is fine for pistol work on the progressive
I probably need to add for the sake of clarity that before I got the McDonald’s system I did use a little dandy trickier and typically threw a load a couple of greens under what I needed and tripled up, but that was long before I got the upgraded A and D scale and trickle system
when I needed precision loads.
Old March 22, 2023, 05:06 AM   #35
stagpanther

It looks like both the A&D and what Erik Cortina is showing on his vid here is more or less the same thing I do in terms of measuring components used. One thing that seems to be missing in the discussion is the importance of accurate calibration and zeroing; The instrumentation on the individual components might not measure and calibrate the zero in the same way resulting in a bias difference. For example, in Erik's video I would not be surprised if the chargemaster and the scale showed different weights for the powder pan (which he skillfully did not show for the chargemaster ) I find that I have to recalibrate and rezero for each charge weight as that difference can result in growing error. That error is mostly in the hundredths of a grain but can start into tenths of grain pretty quickly. I can't tell for sure if the A&D system only needs one device for calibration.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 22, 2023 at 05:11 AM.
Old March 23, 2023, 04:22 AM   #36
cptjack

I dont throw powder I measure it