The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 8, 2023, 12:47 PM   #1
Rothdel

High Value Firearms

Just curious what your favorite High Value Firearm is.

Typically referred to as budget or cheap I'm looking for the guns that punch above their weight class in terms of price to performance.

I have two.....

Purchased a CMR 30 on a whim and its accurate and has been perfectly reliable for me. One of my favorite guns to shoot and for the price out performed my expectations to a high degree.

Canik TFP9 SFX was also an impulse purchase and again for the price was completely blown away by the quality.

In both cases I put down a little money and received something I feel was worth more than I paid.

Anyone else have anything in their collection that you feel is a real value for what you get?
Old March 8, 2023, 06:48 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

One of the very Best Buy's I ever got is a Sarsilmaz SAR 2000ST.
I posted about it here..........

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/th.../#post-3407130

My opinion....it's actually a smoother finished gun then the CZ-75 both inside and out.
It's worth a much higher price then the $465 I paid.
Old March 8, 2023, 06:57 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

I got an almost brand new 1416 HB beavertail, 2 stage trigger, with a vortex scope already on it for $900.
Sold the scope for $200.00.
I smile every time I take it out on a range trip.
Old March 9, 2023, 04:23 PM   #4
Rothdel

I was looking at an SAR the other day and was very impressed. I may need to go back and take another look at it.

One rifle to add. I picked up the Ruger American in 7.62-39 and have been very impressed by this little rifle for the price. Uses mini 30 mags and shoots very well considering some of the ammo i feed through it. Bolt isn't glass smooth but at this price point didn't expect it to be. After some range sessions and a little bit of stone work it runs just fine.
Old March 22, 2023, 01:38 AM   #5
Jeebo

I don't know if it's actually the best, but at the price I've got it - CZ 527 in 7.62x39 is really good(it was like $450 back when I've got it and for the price - it does pretty darn well!)
Old March 28, 2023, 10:00 PM   #6
Tejicano

Way back when Para Ordnance was still in business I bought a Para Carry - 3" barreled 1911 with their LDA trigger system. I got it for carry when I needed a minimal envelope gun in a proper caliber but didn't expect it to be as accurate as it turned out to be. It easily hits 3" targets at 15 yards. It has become my main carry gun when back in the US.
Old March 29, 2023, 12:35 AM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

Until the recent years of panic buying and the enormous price increases resulting from that, I always figured that Rugers gave you a lot of bang for the buck, especially their SA revolvers.

These days it seems like its a lot of bucks for any bangs at all...
Old March 29, 2023, 02:50 PM   #8
Skans

Here's my list of what I consider to be High Value Firearms:
1. Sig X-Five 9mm. Made in Germany, it is one of the best made, most accurate handguns I've ever shot
2. Original Korth 357 revolvers - perfect fit and finish. I wish I could find one I could afford
3. Belgian Hi-Powers
4. For a .308 Bullpup - K&M M17s is the best - I'm convinced of that after handling several 308 bullpups. Yes, its expensive, and it might not win any beauty contests, but it's all metal, built like a tank, built to be repaired if needed, and will way outlast all of those plastic bullpups.
5. Best 5.56 rifle out there - toss up between: FN FNC, FN SCAR, and the CZ Bren.
6. 10mm Handguns - top of the line Tanfoglios
7. HK P7M13
8. HK USP9 EXPERT
Old March 29, 2023, 03:05 PM   #9
Rothdel

44 AMP I think that's one reason the Guns from Turkey have been so popular as of late. I love my Rugers because of their value to performance. I don't think my Canik is any less reliable or built as well than any of my Ruger semi Autos.
Old March 29, 2023, 06:34 PM   #10
44caliberkid

I also bought a Canik TFP9 SFX on a whim, and on sale for $449. Like you I was very impressed with it and if I’m going to shoot a 9mm, that’s what it is. My other nines are getting a good rest.