The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 13, 2022, 11:07 AM   #26
logeorge

1935S

I don't claim to be an expert on semi-automatic pistols, or anything else for that matter. I thought that maybe the shorter round would possibly get in front of the extractor instead of behind the hook as it should. If they stayed against the back of the magazine it shouldn't happen. I will try working the slide by hand and see if they feed that way. The only other pistol extractor I can recall working on was a Llama Omni .45 which wouldn't feed regularly with G. I. hardball. Turned out the extractor hook was too long and forced the case too far to the left, causing it to hang up on the slide. Shortening the hook a little and stoning a small radius on the bottom cured the problem. Later on, I sold it because I couldn't operate the safety without using my other hand. No way I could hold it and reach the safety with my right thumb. I figured a handgun that took two hands to operate was not a good situation. It may not have been a problem for a person with larger hands. Other than the safety problem, it seemed to be a pretty good pistol, once I cured the feeding issue.
Old December 13, 2022, 07:55 PM   #27
Bill DeShivs

Putting a spacer in the back of the magazine is pretty easy. Then all you need is a .32 acp follower and spring. Most will feed .32 acp from the stock magazine.