The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 28, 2018, 10:25 AM   #1
2damnold4this

rain hat

What is your favorite rain hat for cool weather and what is a good rain hat for warmer weather? How about a good hat for all around use?
Old January 28, 2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Oliver Sudden

A felt cowboy serves my needs sun, rain or snow.
Old January 28, 2018, 12:18 PM   #3
TXAZ

A baseball-type cap that has is a tight weave.
There are some that are 'waterproof' but often those are coated and your vaporized sweat condenses on the inside.

And they do make Tyvek (or off-brand) hats that breath but shed water.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 28, 2018, 01:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

A baseball-type cap provides very little protection from anything.
My cool weather is different from your's. snicker. However, I've been wearing a cheapo Chinese made "Bosun's" hat(kind of suspect no bosun would wearing thing unless ordered to do so) for several years now that's really good in rain. Looks like this only grey. There's a camouflage one too.
http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/pro...as-bosun-hats/
Old January 28, 2018, 04:35 PM   #5
PPGMD

Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero - Goretex lined so it is quite waterproof, but still quite usable in warm weather (though it wouldn't be the first hat I would grab if there is no chance of rain). If you get a size large enough that you have some room you can fit a thin wool beanie (like the thin Smart Wool beanie I got at REI), which gives you more insulation, which works up fairly well.
Old January 28, 2018, 05:56 PM   #6
jmr40

More often than not a baseball type cap. There are some out there made of wool or a wool blend. They ain't cheap, but the authentic major league baseball caps and college caps work great if you choose colors carefully.

I've ordered several fitted caps from this company in solid black, green or brown that work well. Price isn't bad. This is the same company that makes many of the college caps

https://www.zhats.com/collections/bl...uctured-curved

If it is too cold I stuff the ball cap in my pack and put one of these on

http://tacticalgear.com/condor-watch-cap-olive-drab

If it rains my jacket has a hood.

I have a couple of wool felt brimmed hats and do occasionally wear them. But most of my hunting is in the woods where the brim is in the way.They are reasonably priced and I like them better than the stiffer fur felt hats. The stiffer hats get knocked off in the brush easier, and I can't stuff one in my pack if not needed.

https://www.amazon.com/Scala-Classic...t+hats+for+men

I don't do much hunting when it is hot and sunny. But this is my fishing and hot weather hat.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...6.uts?slotId=1

Winston Churchill
Old January 28, 2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

A rabbit fur cowboy style hat works for me. I prefer Akubra but a Stetson would be a great choice too.

They are a bit too hot once it starts to get over 80.
Old January 28, 2018, 09:29 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Stormy Kromer's. 2 of. One cap for three season protection. The other for winter time.
Old January 29, 2018, 02:28 AM   #9
bamaranger

bald men know hats

The baseball hat is likely the US favorite these days, but I only wear one around town. The baseball hat was developed,... you know,... for baseball. The long narrow brim shades the eyes on a fly ball, and while batting, .....but that's about all it does well. Afield, I find they have few attributes.

I'm not a cowboy either, so though I own a western style hat, I don't wear it much, the wide brim gets in the way of eye relief on scopes, (for me anyhow), effects my anchor point with my bow, and the hat is awful if there is much brush about.

My field, stream, hunting hats all have a 2-3" brim all they way around, to shade my eyes, forehead, ears and neck. That is important UV protection from skin cancer later. A baseball cap will not give you that. That same brim will keep ran and snow away to a degree. For over 30 years, in cooler weather afield, I have worn a brown felt trilby/fedora style hat made by the Dobbs company. Yes, one hat, thirty years. The liner and headband are gone, the wool felt crown and brim is stained but still functional. The trilby and fedora are two distinct styles, but this old hat seems to combine both the low crown of the fedora, with a modest brim more like a trilby. Think something like Sean Connery or Bear Bryant wore, but brown. I'll add that the modest brim can be tucked up under a hood on a parka, something a cowboy hat will not allow.

In hot weather, I've got several variations of the US boonie/jungle hat. The woodland camo version works fine for warmer spring gobbler hunting. The full brim breaks up the shape of the human head too. (so I think). I have some tan/khaki ones that seem not as hot in the sun. I have another made from light weight nylon sort of stuff that is likely the coolest. Some have snaps on the side to pull the brim up Aussie style if I want. In REALLY hot weather, I have a true sand colored staw fedora with about a 3" brim.

The old Dobbs was expensive, even in the late 80's. The boonies are available everywhere for $10-15 bucks. The straw/sand fedora was about a $30 dollar hat, but I only wear it as a dress hat.
Old January 29, 2018, 02:55 AM   #10
Scorch

I wear a Cabela's Gore-Tex boonie hat in the fall/winter/spring. Works great, keeps my head dry, stops wind. Not for warm weather, mind you, but we don't get much of that in WA state.
Old January 29, 2018, 07:39 AM   #11
JL Wesson

Check Tilley!

I use a lot my Tilley hat. It was designed for sailing and I used it for that extensively but it is also cool in summer time, waterproof, self floating (if needed), very resistant to abuse, brim can be reduced buttoning it to the crown. It served me well while shooting long distance in open field too. As for cold wheater is concerned I used a thin wool cap underneath sometimes.
It is expensive for a hat...but that is relative to each owns liquidity ;-).

www.tilley.com
Old January 29, 2018, 08:27 AM   #12
Gary Gill

Another Tilley guy here.
Old January 29, 2018, 08:27 AM   #13
Mobuck

If it's really raining that much and I really have to be out, I'm likely wearing a GoreTex coat with hood. I just pull the hood up.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Schlitz 45

I have a well broken in Barmah oil cloth drover hat that I bought years ago to go with my duster & it works great in the rain,snow, & sun. Mostly wear it fishing. Other than that hat I just use the old black wool watch caps when its cold out.
Old January 29, 2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Ricklin

Wear a hat!

That's my number 1 advice to folks that are new to the PNW.

If you don't go out when it's raining here......you don't go out.

My current favorite all weather hat is a waxed canvas with 2" brim all around.

If you keep your head warm, the rest follows. Esp. if you are lacking the noggin insulation on top!

Not a fan of ball caps, only good thing about em is they keep my glasses dry. As an earlier poster mentioned the brim of western style hats gets in the way.

I wear a really wide brim woven straw hat for sun protection. Skin Cancer is no joke, just lost a good friend to it last year.
Old January 29, 2018, 04:43 PM   #16
Picher

For deer hunting season, I use a fluorescent orange, insulated baseball-style hat that works well with my hooded hunting coat. In Maine we must wear two pieces of hunter-orange for deer season.
Old January 30, 2018, 04:53 AM   #17
NHSHOOTER

For hunting or fishing in the rain I have a waterproof camo baseball type hat. It has a waterproof lining covered with a soft camo shell. It is not real warm but like most I have a jacket with a hood that I will pull up.
Old January 30, 2018, 08:07 AM   #18
GeauxTide

If it's cool and raining, I cover my baseball hat with the hood from my Columbia rain gear.
Old January 30, 2018, 09:33 PM   #19
Whistlebritches

I pack for a mission not just a hunt,Old School Military.I always hunt in my old issue boonie hats.If it looks like rain I pull out my petroleum jelly and rub some right into the hats material.It's waterproof til wifey throws it in the washer.It also works great on boots not to mention it is one of the most useful survival tools you can carry.
Old January 31, 2018, 09:02 AM   #20
buck460XVR

I tend to use a boonie type hat for hunting in the rain as it tends to do a better job of keeping rain from going down my neck/collar. It also doesn't display movement as much when one turns their head as a baseball type hat with a single bill. This is especially good when deer or turkey hunting. If it's raining hard, I pull the hood of my rain jacket over my hat.......