The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2018, 01:20 PM   #1
HisSoldier

6.5 X 55MM Swede bullet choice?

Recently I bought a beautiful Carl Gustaf built in 1909. I hope reload it to shoot it entirely for target shooting pleasure. First I purchased once fired cases, then primers and powder.
But I'm stumped on bullets, the 6.5 equals .2559" but I'm not sure that's the true size, as, for instance, .38 pistol bores are .356, not .380", should I assume rifles also are said to be one size while actually another?

I'm familiar with reloading pistol but this will be my first rifle cartridge loading, for which I'll use trickle weighed charges in the old single stage press. I plan on staying very conservative with my pressures.

My hope is to find accurate long range loads, and have read that this cartridge is great for moderate pressures with high accuracy.

So what is a good choice for target bullets for this rifle?
Thanks in advance,
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:53 PM   #2
GeauxTide

True size is .264. In the Gustaf, a 140gr bullet at 2450fps does not constitute a long range load. I'd try lighter bullets. My 260 and 6.5-06 really like 129 Interlocks and my Grendel likes 123 SST. The loading data I've seen from Hornady, Speer, Sierra, and Nosler says it likes the burn rate from Varget to IMR4831 (like the 260), with the most velocity from the slower.
Old January 4, 2018, 01:57 PM   #3
USSR

HisSoldier,

I shot the 6.5x55 for several years in 1,000 yard F Class Competition. I used 2 different bullets: Sierra's 142gr SMK, and Lapua's 139gr Scenar. BTW, bullet size is .264". Hope that helps.

Don

P.S. - Your Carl Gustaf's barrel has a very fast twist rate, so you will be better served with the heavier bullets.
Old January 4, 2018, 03:01 PM   #4
ligonierbill

+1 on the 142 gr SMK. Very accurate out of my 1903 Carl Gustafs. I'm loading Reloder 22. I have not taken it to competition yet, but I intend to try CMP vintage military.
Old January 4, 2018, 05:54 PM   #5
USSR

I used Reloder 22 as well.

Don
Old January 4, 2018, 06:24 PM   #6
FITASC

When I had my 1905, it shot well with 120 and 140 Sierra BTSP and 3031. Most were originally designed for bullet weights in the 150-160 range.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2018, 06:44 PM   #7
hodaka

With my 6.5's that have scopes I really like the 142 and 140 Sierra bullets. With my Carl Gustaf and the original irons I can't see the difference in shooting these expensive bullets vs. the Prvi 139's for about 1/2 the cost. I use H-4831SC mostly but both 4350's work well.
Old January 4, 2018, 07:47 PM   #8
fourbore

Some of the PRVI bullets are listed as 0.263 and others are advertized 0.264. WHY?

Edit, never mind on the Sierra question. I found the MatchKing 142 gr.

Last edited by fourbore; January 4, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old January 4, 2018, 07:56 PM   #9
hodaka

Didn't know that about Prvi's. I just loadem and shootem. I tried to segregate by weight once but did not notice much difference.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:24 PM   #10
HisSoldier

I may have bought the wrong powder, 4350?
Thanks,
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old January 4, 2018, 10:53 PM   #11
hodaka

4350 is fine.

One more thing, I buy Priv ammo then reuse the cases. Nearly as cheap as just buying cases.
Old January 4, 2018, 11:34 PM   #12
HisSoldier

Well guys, surfing the web I found photos of a Carl Gustaf with sheared lugs. I'm a little stunned by it. There were discussions of other bolt rifles blowing up too. I hate to sound like a total wuss but I'm thinking of putting the rifle on the wall and leaving it. Of course the Swedish Mauser only has the two lugs, so that's a consideration isn't it?
Old January 4, 2018, 11:55 PM   #13
Water-Man

For targets... Lapua bullets.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:02 AM   #14
USSR

Quote:
Well guys, surfing the web I found photos of a Carl Gustaf with sheared lugs. I'm a little stunned by it. There were discussions of other bolt rifles blowing up too. I hate to sound like a total wuss but I'm thinking of putting the rifle on the wall and leaving it. Of course the Swedish Mauser only has the two lugs, so that's a consideration isn't it?
HisSoldier,

The load data for 6.5x55 in American reloading manuals lists only loads that are suitable for pre-98 Mauser actions. Follow the recommended load data and you will have no problem.

Don
Old January 5, 2018, 07:18 AM   #15
fourbore

Quote:
There is no stronger rifle than the Swedish Mauser from the same time period. The lugs are fine. You have nothing to fear. Two lugs is good. That is my opinion. How forgiving is one rifle vs another for the total idiot screw up? I dont know. I am sure modern steel in a new 2018 vintage rifle has more margin for screw up over any WWI OR WWII period rifle. No doubt at all on that. The 98 Mauser with a tiny safety lug is small consolation for the idiot screw up. The gas venting on the 98 is nice and cock on open.

You can keep the gun as a collector. I am not one of these big mouth guys who try to tell everybody to shoot 10,000 rounds a year in every gun they own. But, truly, if you purchased the gun to shoot, you should shoot. These guns are legendary for quality, accuracy and mild recoil.

I just picked up a 100 rounds of factory loaded PRVI to shoot along with my Herters. That cost pretty reasonable and it would be a good way to shoot some if you are nervous about the reloading. That will give you a feel how the gun performs. Like - dont like.

I am not one of these guys who try to tell everybody to reload, either. That is not for the space kadet. You got to have some kind of focus and take care.

Last edited by fourbore; January 5, 2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:29 AM   #16
mete

For target , remember that the American made and European made 6.5x55 are different .The European has a larger case dia.
For target use make sure that the case and chamber are the same .
A good starter load is a 140 gr bullet with 4350 . Always been known as a very accurate cartridge .Finn Aagaard referred to it as the perfect deer cartridge.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:18 PM   #17
HisSoldier

Thanks again, I'll try the lowest recommended loading. I've never been spooked by danger generally but the thought of a bolt smashing into my tiny brain got to me.

First shot, over the Chrono.

I have lots of experience loading pistol in a proggressive, and use RCBS's lock out die, which is brilliant. The progressive press sort of says "Go ahead, shoot as much as you want to!"

For this though I'll be extremely careful and load with the single stage.
Old January 5, 2018, 01:44 PM   #18
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by USSR View Post
HisSoldier,

The load data for 6.5x55 in American reloading manuals lists only loads that are suitable for pre-98 Mauser actions. Follow the recommended load data and you will have no problem.

Don
The data in my Hornady manual is for pre 98 Mauser's and very light. I have a mod 70 and load with the data from my Nosler manual which is quite a bit hotter. I was going to ask about that 1905 action. What pressure is it designed for anyway? For myself, I have used a mauser action years ago, mod 96, but then, maybe today, the commercial ammo for the 6.5x55 was down loaded because of the pre 98 Mauser's. I wasn't hand loading then. Need to be watchful with ssome older rifle's, I have no clue about the 1905. You can start low on modern action's, below older action data and work up watching pressure very close.

Love my 6.5x55 and like to decide which bullet to use. the 129 gr Hornady or the 140gr Hornady. Both shoot very well in my rifle! I'm leaning toward the 140gr. For target shooting, I would likely try th 143 gr SMK. Twist in the rifle will retermine if you can use it or not. My 6.5x06 is a a-9 twist and I asked Sierra about it and they said the twist is to slow, need a 1-9 twist. I wonder about it though as 140 gr SMK shoot some what better than great!
Old January 5, 2018, 05:53 PM   #19
USSR

Don,

As you noted, the American reloading manuals give very light loads for the 6.5x55. This is not because of the pre-98 Mausers, but rather because the very first rifle chambered for the cartridge is the Norwegian Krag, which has a very weak action. The 6.5x55 is a lot like the .45 Colt in this sense; you load it according to what the firearm you are using it in can handle. In my F Class rifle which is built on a Winchester Model 70 action, I load the 6.5x55 to the 60k psi that the Model 70 is easily capable of.

Don
Old January 6, 2018, 07:27 AM   #20
fourbore

Last edited by fourbore; January 6, 2018 at 07:38 AM.