The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2015, 11:29 PM   #1
skizzums

holster help

hey guys, I just ordered the pt111 gen 2(psa has em on clearance for 199$). anyways, besides a revolver which I pocket carry, I usually only carry a full-size under shoulder. I want an IWB holster for under 50$. I need something comfortable, but ince this will be worn at work, concealability is priority. there are so many options on amazon, I don't know where to start. fobus, paddle, outbags etc. there's like a million of them and they all look similar and are priced similar. where to start?

if not familiar with pt111, think shield

I was considering this one, but it looks rather large
http://aliengearholsters.com/taurus-...waistband.html

Last edited by skizzums; January 30, 2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old January 30, 2015, 11:54 PM   #2
hartcreek

Does the place have a good return policy? I go to the LGS and fit my guns to holsters or make my own. You can purchase Kydex and heat it in a microwave and then shape it to your specific firearm.

If I can not find a holster I make mine out of leather.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:56 AM   #3
foxytwo

Check Kholster, he has a excellent IWB holster and it is reasoneable. His warranty is as good as anyone offers. I have 2 that I have had for years with no problems.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:32 AM   #4
Auto5

Hybrid IWB holsters like Aliengear, Crossbreed, Old Faithful, etc. are secure and comfortable for all day wear. Most of what you see in the picture is hidden under your clothing. I have an Aliengear holster for my EDC. The only drawback to this type of holster is that they are harder to put on and take off. I often have to disarm and re-arm during the day when I go into prohibited areas. If you can keep your gun on all day, they're great.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:13 AM   #5
jmhyer

I've been a big fan and user of the Supertuck and the KingTuk for a while. I just received one of similar construction from Foxx Holsters and I am really liking it. $39, shipped.

Last edited by jmhyer; January 31, 2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old January 31, 2015, 10:46 AM   #6
DaleA

I really liked this post from AA040371...

Quote:
What I am asking about in this post is if there is a good and efficient way to go about the selection process. In a perfect world I'd stroll into Holster World Or Holsters-R-Us and my personal holster shopping assistant would help me try on and test out various holsters all day long until I found one that met whatever criteria I have. But I have described an alternate universe. Are there any good approaches for trying/testing out various makes and models of holsters that don't involve a long series of purchases and returns?
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...light=holsters

Holsters are such an individual, personal thing I just kind of despair. The only advice I might give is that going cheap is (usually) a bad thing. A friend of mine got an unlined leather holster that almost immediately (less than a week) caused rust on his firearm.
Old January 31, 2015, 01:05 PM   #7
skizzums

okay. tanks for the replies, my buddy at work has supertuk for his glock, I will try it on and see how it feels for me. I am in an ambulance 16hrs a day, so my biggest thing is how comfy is it driving
Old January 31, 2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Worc

I like the N82. It was the first IWB holster I bought and now I'm done looking. The are very comfortable and with the original models, they fit multiple gun models.

https://www.n82tactical.com/
Old January 31, 2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Wolf Hollow Tactical

I don't offer that model but would like to give you some things to look for in your search.
Quality - There are a lot of people making holsters now days. Look closely at their product. Do they have wavy lines, rough edges or no definition. Ejection port should be blocked out so as to not shave off kydex when the weapon is drawn and holstered. If it is super cheap ask yourself why. Many times a holster manufacturer will try to clean out their returns by offering a cheaper price. That is fine once and a while. But if they are under cutting the whole industry all the time that should be a red flag. It takes time to make a Kydex holster. The person should be charging enough to cover the materials and the time to make it.
Belt clip options - There are many different belt clip options depending on the use of the holster. If you need a rig that is easy to put on or remove it may not conceal as well as another option. Your belt width will also need to be taken in to account.
Kydex - There are different brands of Kydex. Some not as good quality as the actual Kydex brand. Thickness of Kydex is also a big thing to look for .080" is the standard because of its durability without adding much thickness to the weapon. Yet will still flex enough to not put stress on the trigger guard (the main area of retention) of the weapon when being drawn and reholstered. The kydex should only grab this area and not be tight against the slide or frame of a pistol.
There is a lot of misconceptions that Kydex wears the finish on a pistol. Any holster regardless of the material it is made of can wear on the pistols finish if not kept clean. Dust, sand and grit in the holster is what wears on the pistol finish. And it is a lot easier to clean the inside of a Kydex holster than nylon or leather. Just use a damp cloth to wipe out your Kydex holster and you are ready to go.
Hope this helps, good luck in your search!

www.wolfhollowtactical.com

Last edited by Wolf Hollow Tactical; January 31, 2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old January 31, 2015, 10:59 PM   #10
hartcreek

I just found this slick holster at Cabellas. It is made by Bulldog. It has holster loops on both sides for OWB plus it has an IWB clip that you can move from one side to the other and it als has a retension stap that you can move to either side.....cost about $15. It even has one mag puch built in.

The only hassle was dealing with Cabellas whitch meant that I had to check for fit at the guncheck at the front door.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:30 AM   #11
skizzums

I am very intrigued by the VersaCarry holsters. I don't love the it doesn't cover the trigger fully, so I may be using my manual safety if I get one. anyone else use versa?
Old February 1, 2015, 04:40 PM   #12
Wolf Hollow Tactical

I would not touch the Verascarry for many reasons.
1. sticking a foreign object in to the barrel.
2. It does not enclose and guard the trigger. To easy to get a piece of clothing in there and have an ND.
3. You have to remove the holster to re-holster the weapon.
4. There is nothing to protect the weapon from the salty sweat that can damage the firearm.
5. The manufacturer does not suggest you carry the weapon with one in the chamber using their product. That in itself makes me very leery of the product.
But this is just my opinion, everybody should really decide for themselves. One thing I have learned from shooting and coaching shooting is that there are no magic bullets. what works for one person may not for another. The big outdoor sporting goods store in D'ville carries those if you want to see them first hand. But you will notice a lot of returned units. lol...