The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 5, 2014, 09:31 PM   #1
kwalityguy

Magazine storage

I have a question about how to store magazines. And it's not the repetitive loaded or unloaded question. I have 6 magazines for AR15, AR10, AK47, M1 carbine, AR15-22, STG44, 36 total. I searched the internet for something that would hold all these mags stacked by type or standing on end to no availe. I currently have them stacked in 6 neat little stacks but if they get bumped, it's like watching the dominos fall. I thought about building a wooden crate with adjustable cubbies customized to the size of each unique mag. I can't believe I'm the only one with this dilemma. Is there nothing available already made on the market?
Old August 6, 2014, 10:42 AM   #2
kilimanjaro

Go to a Tupperware type store that sells plastic storage stuff, you'll find something there.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Glockstar .40

Do you have a safe? They make door panels with pockets that you can store mags in. I'm not sure about storing all 36 but could get a few off the stack. Might be worth looking into.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
Panfisher

Now I am intrigued by the idea of building a sort of bookshelf/display shelf that would hold them at a 45 degree angle in notched cutouts or just side by side. Sounds like a PITA and a good rainy day project all at the same time. Heck make one and show a photo, you might have to go into business selling them. Stranger things have happened.
Old August 6, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
armabill

Magnetic strips on the inside safe door.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:25 PM   #6
kwalityguy

I had the mags in my ammo cabinet but they were taking up too much real estate that i needed for ammo. So I stacked them on top of the cabinet that's about 24x20 which is why I thought of an adjustable divider box made out of 1/2" wood and 1/4" dividers.

My gun safe already has a pistol rack hanging on the door so the gun safe is out. Already out grew it too. Started removing the bolts from Mosins and Crickets to make room for more valuable rifles.

Have not thought about the Tupperware idea but would like to have only one container, not multiple. In the interim i got 5 canvas molle pouches for the shorter mags. Got them at the Dallas Gun Show on Sunday for 5/$20. Saw some guys wanting $15 each so i think i got a stral. The STG44 is too long to fit in them though. Plus I'm getting the GSG MP40 22lr Thursday and their mags are ablout 12" long.

Why doesn't someone make the adjustable container I describe so you can store different sizes and different quantities of mags? Is my dilemma that unique?
Old August 6, 2014, 08:52 PM   #7
ballardw

Design one, make it, market it.

I see your problem is different sizes. There are many products for same size magazines.

BTW http://www.ima-usa.com/german-wwii-m...pouch-set.html has magazine pouches for the STG-44. These are new reproductions.
Also http://www.mantheline.com/products.php?cat=87 has 4 different sets of mag pouches for the STG-44 (and some for your planned MP-40).

The reproduction sling for the STG-44 from ManTheLine fits well though the leather is heavy enough to require a little working to get attached.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:10 PM   #8
kwalityguy

I'm actually collecting pieces for a german wwii infantry uniform. Have the helmet, belt, suspenders, MP40 mag pouches, pistol holster. Still need the gas mask carrier, potato mashers, shirt, pants and boots. Learning about insignias and other standard issue gear available through IMA or Hessen Antiques.

But for mag storage still leaning towards something that will sit on top of my ammo cabinet and hold everything. The custom wood idea is still the front runner. Have to clean out the garage first to unbury my workbench and table saw. Plus someone decided its finally summer in Texas so my garage is 110+ every evening. Maybe have to wait til winter to start the project unless i find something ready made.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:16 PM   #9
Justice06RR

Empty shoe boxes work well

Also, clear tupperware-type containers are a good option to keep moisture out, and they come in different sizes too.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Jay24bal

Ammo cans are where my mags are stored. At a surplus store or gunshot they are easily found and not very expensive.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old August 6, 2014, 10:12 PM   #11
COASTER

To OP-
If you go to the local Dollar store, you can find a bunch of tupperware for cheap. Lids keep moisture out.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:36 AM   #12
wogpotter

Akro bins!

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”