The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 17, 2018, 05:26 AM   #1
JJ45

10/22 performance, W/O mods?

Anyone get good accuracy from a box stock, barrel band, Ruger 10/22 carbine?

Without any mods.
Old March 17, 2018, 06:59 AM   #2
Mobuck

Is a cloverleaf @ 25 yards "good accuracy"?
I can't hold it that well with the 2.5x scope anymore but Son does with his 30 years younger eyes.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:31 AM   #3
imashooter

Excellent accuracy out to 75 meters or so. Haven't really tried much past that.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:37 AM   #4
Reloadron

My experience with the one I have is you can get nice tight little groups or you can get a shotgun pattern depending on the ammunition. The one I have is about a 25 to 30 year old basic in stainless. Overall they shoot as well as anything in their class and very well with good ammunition.

Ron
Old March 17, 2018, 08:17 AM   #5
NoSecondBest

They're Forrest Gump guns as far as accuracy goes, "you never know what you're going to get". I've seen them with the bore drilled off center and I've seen some that could hit clay birds with regularity at 100 yards. Most are somewhere in between and aren't all that accurate. I've owned a bunch of them and modified them extensively to be used in Team Challenge shoots. I tried them all out first just to see how they'd do and it was really a mixed bag. If you want a .22lr you can count on to be reasonably accurate right out of the box.....get something else.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Kvon2

They'll function out of the box probably better than any other semi auto .22lr.

As far as accuracy is concerned, in my opinion, the stock trigger leaves a lot to be desired.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:34 AM   #7
mikejonestkd

I have 4 different 10/22s and in my limited sample the accuracy can be anywhere from pretty good to poor.
One of them consistently shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yards with match ammo and a factory barrel, another can barely do that at 50 yards on a good day.
Stock triggers are simply awful, and yes, the BX trigger sucks too.

The main upside of the 10/22 is that they generally run most ammo well ,and that there are a ton of aftermarket mods.
Old March 17, 2018, 10:46 AM   #8
pete2

I have 2 newer ones that are pretty accurate, I did do the DIY trigger job on both, brought them down to 3-1/2#. I wanted to shoot the CMP sporter match with them, 3-1/2# trigger required. Shot a couple matches with the first gun, 4X Weaver scope, did pretty well for an old man. If you buy one shoot it before you spend a bundle on it, you may get a tack driver. It's the 7 to 10# trigger that comes on them that make it hard to shoot them.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:06 AM   #9
BBarn

Of the 3 or 4 stock ones I've owned, I considered the accuracy disappointing. But all were fine for casual plinking, and all were very trouble free.

I have one with very minor work that shoots very well.
Old March 17, 2018, 11:39 AM   #10
the possum

Last time I really tried testing ammo in mine, I got 10 shot, 25 yard groups in the 1/2" range from CCI ammo, and they were in the 1" range for several bulk pack varieties. Half inch at 25 would be roughly 2 MOA. Adequate for plinking, and good 'nuff for hunting, though I would prefer better for squirrel hunting. My old Weatherby could put them all through a squirrel's eye at that range. That made it more sporting.
Old March 17, 2018, 12:00 PM   #11
the possum

Actually, I need to amend the above post. My memory must have been faulty. (Perhaps I was thinking of 5 shot groups on a different occasion?) I took a look at pics of my old 10 shot targets, and the groups are clearly larger than I thought. The CCI's had an extreme spread more like an inch, and the bulk ammo was twice as large. So more like 4 to 8 MOA depending on load.
Old March 17, 2018, 01:47 PM   #12
jmr40

In my experience around 1" @ 50 yards with decent ammo is about average. Around 1 1/2"-2" with cheap bulk ammo. Some do a little better, some a lot worse.

Winston Churchill
Old March 17, 2018, 07:43 PM   #13
Pahoo

Still that good !!!

Quote:
Anyone get good accuracy from a box stock, barrel band, Ruger 10/22 carbine?
Absolutely but it all depends on the performance you are looking for. As for me, I love tinkering with these little guys and always try to make them function better. ....

Even though I prefer the older generations, the new ones are still that good !!! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 17, 2018, 08:05 PM   #14
Glock_17

scoped and rested i can keep most shots in a 1/2" group at around 50-60 yards.
Most that is, the hammer strike and pretty gritty and spongy stock trigger will award you 1 or 2 flyers out of 5 shots.
thats with my stainless carbine barreled 10/22 in a composite stock with CCI SV.
Its about the best i can get out of it. other then mine not liking Federal at all, its seems pretty impartial to what i feed it.

A better Trigger unit is the first thing im going to look for as soon i have the time to do some research on which one would suit my needs
On that subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a match trigger unit?

Last edited by Glock_17; March 17, 2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old March 17, 2018, 08:06 PM   #15
weblance

I've owned maybe a dozen of them over the last 30 years. Only one was truly inaccurate. I had the barrel chopped, and a new chamber cut, and it became a great barrel. I also had one that needed a new crown.

They all needed new trigger components. That's where the money spent really shows. KIDD Trigger Job Kit at $105 is the best bang for the buck IMO
Old March 17, 2018, 08:50 PM   #16
JeepHammer

I LOVE rimfire shooting!
Doesn't break the budget, eardrums or shoulder, and $50 gets you ammo, drinks, lunch & targets for the day!

I have a dozen 10/22 rifles, from long barrel, laminated stocks, stainless, to the old plain Jane versions.
Can't complain one second about anything from them.
The only .17 HMR I have is a bolt/varmint, I'm looking into a Ruger semi-auto since it's such an inherently accurate round & again, cheap & fun to shoot!

It's mostly an ammo issue with 10/22.
Federal Lightening was named that because no two ever struck in the same place.
Winchester Wildcats aren't any better.
Stay away from anything that isn't brass washed or plated, raw lead takes too long to clean.
I stay away from the 'Bucket-O-Bullets' ammo, never found it accurate and in some cases unreliable.

I find perfectly acceptable accuracy with CCI Mini-Mags, literally thousands of squirrels, rabbits & other rodents in the dinner table with CCI ammo.

I find some of the 'Target' ammo to be more accurate, some of it I can't tell the difference.
At two or three times the price of CCI, I'll try it, but it's not my 'Go To' ammo.

I have no idea why everyone complains about the 10/22 trigger, it's super simple/easy to slick up the factory trigger and it works fine for everything this side of bench rifle competition.
Takes about an hour and you don't normally need a jig to do it.
Old March 17, 2018, 09:22 PM   #17
mikejonestkd

Quote:
On that subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a match trigger unit?
Kidd.

other companies make nice ones too, but Kidd is the cream of the crop. I have one in each of my 4 10/22s and could not ask for a better trigger.
Old March 17, 2018, 10:56 PM   #18
Chainsaw.

I have on I got second hand, trigger suuuuucked, so I polished it with india stone, that smoothed it up fine. With out trying hard it'll shoot 1.5" @ 100.
Old March 18, 2018, 05:53 AM   #19
NWPilgrim

I have just one 10/22 and it is stock. I get about 1 1/2" ten shot groups at 50 yds with Blazer, Mini-mags and Aguila SE HV. That shrinks a little bit down to 1 1/4" with CCI SV and Aguila SE SV. Which is perfectly fine for me. I plan to get a Tikka bolt action .22LR next year for more accuracy, and leave my 10/22 stock. But for $200-$400 more you can eventually turn your 10/22 into much tighter groups.

For $250 or so a stock 10/22 is decently accurate I think. Pretty much have to go bolt action or customized 10/22 to get much more accurate.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 18, 2018, 09:49 AM   #20
Duster340

Our 30 yr old Standard 10-22 is quite accurate. With the 3x9 scope on it my 16 yo daughter is crazy accurate out the 75 yards.
Old March 18, 2018, 10:26 AM   #21
Onward Allusion

Quote:
In my experience around 1" @ 50 yards with decent ammo is about average. Around 1 1/2"-2" with cheap bulk ammo. Some do a little better, some a lot worse.
That's been my experience, too. They're what they are - plinkers.
Old March 18, 2018, 01:34 PM   #22
Glock_17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejonestkd View Post
Kidd.

other companies make nice ones too, but Kidd is the cream of the crop. I have one in each of my 4 10/22s and could not ask for a better trigger.
Sadly Kidd is not available in Europe it seems.
Brownells does have a European branch, so i do have acces to the drop in triggers from Volquartzen, timney, Jard, and some tuning kits from JARD, Clark and Power Custom.
Any opinions on those?
Old March 18, 2018, 02:13 PM   #23
Pahoo

Biggest bang for your buck

Quote:
Volquartzen, timney, Jard, and some tuning kits from JARD, Clark and Power Custom. Any opinions on those?
I do have personal experience with some of the brands you have listed. Without bashing any of them, I will only state that the biggest bang for "my" buck, has been the Target Hammer kits by Voltquartzen. The last ones I bought cost me around $39.00. ......

Quote:
I have on I got second hand, trigger suuuuucked, so I polished it with india stone, that smoothed it up fine. With out trying hard it'll shoot 1.5" @ 100.
That works well if you are at all handy and like to tinker. It compliments the Volts target hammer kit. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 18, 2018, 03:16 PM   #24
Glock_17

Ill have a look at those, thanks
That stated 50% lighter pull does look interesting, if its true.
Old March 18, 2018, 07:48 PM   #25
Pahoo

Lighter than that

Quote:
That stated 50% lighter pull does look interesting, if its true.
Not quite as it should go lighter than 50%. You will note that they won't and really can give you a listed weight, only a range. There are enough variables that make a slight difference. Starting out, you typically have 6+ lbs. pull. You should finish in the range of 2 to 2.5 and often, less than that. ......

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!