The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 7, 2016, 01:22 PM   #1
SamNavy

Applied for my VA CCW licence today... couldn't have been easier.

I'm military, resident of FL, stationed in VA. I've had my FL CCW license for years... the process included fingerprints, photo, lengthy application... was glad to do it.

But thanks to Ace and Gary (our Governor and Attorney General) in Richmond, my FL license is null and void in the Old Dominion State come February 1st.

So today, I took a long lunch and headed down to the Courthouse with a copy of my orders. I walked up to the 3rd Floor of Bldg10 and grabbed an application off the wall in the Clerk-Of-The-Court's vestibule. It was a 1-page affair similar to a 4473. Then I approached the counter with my application, orders, Mil ID, and DL... she looked everything over and then charged my CC for $52... "You should receive your card in the mail in 4-6 weeks".

Then I just stood there for another second looking at her because it wasn't possible that I was done already... "Is there something else you need?" I'd been inside the Bldg for less than 10 minutes. Unfreakingbelievable... why can't dealing with the Govt always be that easy... yes, even coming from a career Navy guy.

CAVEAT: In VA, my MilID satisfies the requirement for "Firearms Training"... but there is a list of what other types of training will satisfy on the state websites... basically any firearms training that gives you a certificate is good.

ALSO: If you are in VA and visit a courthouse, no weapons of course, but most also don't allow cel-phones inside... I just saved you a trip back to your car.
Old January 7, 2016, 02:23 PM   #2
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNavy
In VA, my MilID satisfies the requirement for "Firearms Training"...
Hmmmmm..... As retired military, I gave them my DD214 as opposed to just presenting my ID card.

But as I read vacode/18.2-308.02, that [ret]ID card may have been sufficient:
> 5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience
> with a firearm through participation in organized
> shooting competition or current military service
> or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch
> of the armed services;

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/18.2-308.02/

I'll have to ask the Clerk next time I'm near the FCCH.
Old January 7, 2016, 04:08 PM   #3
TomNJVA

Got mine here in VA three months ago. Likewise, a very simple process - application, training certificate, and 50 bucks. They called me in just six days to tell me my card was ready.
Old January 7, 2016, 05:08 PM   #4
kilimanjaro

Dealing with the government would be a lot simpler if the politicians kept their mitts off the gun laws in the first place, you should not have had to be there.

When they -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- on your back, don't start singing in the rain.

Glad it went smoothly for you, but that doesn't mean it's acceptable public policy.
Old January 7, 2016, 05:16 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
Presenting evidence of equivalent experience
> with a firearm through participation in organized
> shooting competition
So, if I show up with my NSCA (sporting clays) membership card and printed out score sheets from a year's worth of competition, I am gtg?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 9, 2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Coppershot

SamNavy: The Virginia Code mandates that the maximum fee for a CCW application is $50.00. 10.00 for the clerk, 5.00 for the State Police and 35.00 for local law enforcement. Given how simple it was, I would not ask for a $2.00 refund; at least not until after you receive your permit.
Old January 9, 2016, 05:44 PM   #7
osbornk

Quote:
SamNavy: The Virginia Code mandates that the maximum fee for a CCW application is $50.00. 10.00 for the clerk, 5.00 for the State Police and 35.00 for local law enforcement. Given how simple it was, I would not ask for a $2.00 refund; at least not until after you receive your permit.
Yep. You were overcharged. Maybe they surcharged you because of a credit card. I received mine in the mail in exactly 2 weeks.

With the stuff the AG has done, I am taking a class for the Utah permit at the end of the month.
Old January 13, 2016, 09:11 PM   #8
SamNavy

Yup, $2 for the CC charge... am also going to do the Utah class, and probably the TX one too just because Im a big fan of that state.
Old January 14, 2016, 09:45 AM   #9
USMC 77-81

Idaho is easy also. When I first got my carry I went to the local Sheriffs' office with my DD 214, the gal came outside while I filled out the form, talking and laughing the whole time, it was not only easy but enjoyable.
Also, I live about 3 miles from Washington which does not have reciprocity with Idaho so I went over there to get my Wa. permit, those folks were just as pleasant as the gal in Idaho.

1st Marine division, 3rd Marines
Old January 14, 2016, 10:28 AM   #10
osbornk

I live in far Southwestern Virginia that most of the world doesn't know exists. My state Senator Carrico arranged for a Utah concealed carrier trainer from Ashland, Va. (near Richmond, 300+ miles away) to do a course at a local community college on January 30th. Of the 4 states within a hour of us, three are on the list whose permits are being disallowed. Kentucky, North Carolina and Tennessee accepts all out of state permits so it doesn't impact me directly but it does the residents of the other states. Since most people down here have relatives in the surrounding states and many work across state lines, they need the still accepted Utah permits.

The initial course was for 100 from 1-4 on January 30th. It sold out in less than a day and they opened another for the same day from 8-12. It also sold out and they then opened one the for following day from 1-5. It is also sold out. I think the people from the neighboring figured it out and are coming over for a Utah permit instead of the overpriced Virginia non-resident permit that will be recognized in far fewer states.
Old January 14, 2016, 12:12 PM   #11
chimo

Quote:
was glad to do it
Submitting myself to registration in exchange for the government's permission to exercise my God-given rights would make me rather angry.
Old January 14, 2016, 04:09 PM   #12
USMC 77-81

Agree with Chimo, I use to be more favorable to the 'permit' process until I figured out that it is;
1) De-facto registration
2) It accepts that the 'Right' is now a 'Privilege'.

I do have my 'Permit', I try to abide by all laws whether I agree them or not. I'm rather surprised that Idaho hasn't gone to 'Constitutional carry' as 5(?) other states have, presently Idaho is still a handshake state and rather redneck, at least up here in the northern part.
Old January 15, 2016, 08:27 AM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Off topic, but to answer the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC 77-81
I'm rather surprised that Idaho hasn't gone to 'Constitutional carry' as 5(?) other states have,
Legislation was first introduced during the 2014 legislative session. Failed to make it out of committee with a lot of hand-wringing by the police chiefs. Introduced again during the 2015 session. Died quietly in committee.

Too early in the 2016 session to tell if it will be introduced again.

Further comments about this should be with the start of a new thread.