The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 7, 2018, 08:10 AM   #26
tranders

No love for the Springfield XD?

I had the XD sub compact Mod2 in 9mm and really liked it. Ended up trading it and kinda of regret it. Probably will buy another, but this time in 45.
They just feel better in my hand compared to Glocks and I’m a 1911 shooter so the grip safety doesn’t bother me at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2018, 08:16 AM   #27
Nathan

Quote:
The XD is true SAO with no thumb safety. That eliminated it from consideration from at least 98% of all LE agencies. The Glock, S&W and every other striker fired plastic pistol is classified as DAO.
How can they choose the M&P? It has a sear on a pin, just like the XD?
Old January 7, 2018, 08:41 AM   #28
Screwball

I don’t like the XD line...

I can deal with it being a Croatian design, but SAI doesn’t have the designers to come up with their own design? That is my only comment against its origin.

I’m not a fan of the grip safety. It may be required to the XD system, but the only one I would consider is the XDE... which is hammer fired and doesn’t have a grip safety. People ask why? Because I don’t like it... and if I’m spending my money, I’ll buy thing I want.

The only SAI gun I own is a NM M1A. Mid-1990s rifle, which I got a great deal for (few years back). Personally, I really prefer not to give money to SAI and Rock River Arms, due to that FFL legislation that their money funded, which looked to only benefit their companies. When they prove that they will put the 2nd Amendment first, then I’ll consider purchasing one of their guns.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:09 AM   #29
Siggy-06

XDS 9mm is my edc. Excellent pistol.
Old January 7, 2018, 10:47 AM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
Unconventional carry: fanny pack or other bag/sack/ purse where you don’t have it in a firm holster covering the trigger guard to ensure no contact.

To me the XD grip safety adds a measure of safety.

I’m of the opinion that the trigger guard should be covered, grip safety or no. To me this is especially true if it’s going to be in some kind of bag with other items. There are a number of companies now making very minimalist holsters that while I wouldn’t carry as my primary holster would to me at least add a degree of safety for not much cost in a bag scenario. Some such bags are also available that have specific slots that at least isolate the pistol. These also have the benefit of insuring the orientation of the pistol should the user go to draw it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2018, 12:13 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

Here's a take on the gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShoOEUjlGg

Of course, anyone who has one is more likely to love it. Empirically, we don't see that many of them around in competition or among higher end trainers.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:22 PM   #32
JJ45

Glenn, I watched the video. A somewhat "windy" dude, huh?

Then I read the comments and don't feel so bad being one of the "cult" followers of the XD.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:38 PM   #33
William Munny

There are two reasons I've never wanted an XD. Not made in the USA & the grip safety. JMHO
Old January 7, 2018, 01:39 PM   #34
Glenn E. Meyer
Staff

I don't have one and never shot one. I just saw the video linked on http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/ .

Greg is a respected guy and I know some folks think John is also.

Just info for folks and more popcorn time on the Internet.
Old January 7, 2018, 02:16 PM   #35
Carmady

McPopcorn
Old January 7, 2018, 02:34 PM   #36
raimius

It is a fine design. Glock beat them in the market and supporting accessories. So, unless the grip angle or safety are important to you, Glock is better known, has more aftermarket options, etc.

I like my XDS quite a bit.
Old January 7, 2018, 02:41 PM   #37
seeker_two

I owned a XD9sc a few years ago. Great shooter, and it carried well. Only reason I sold it was because my wife couldn't deactivate the grip safety in her shooting grip. I won't own a gun that my wife can't operate.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2018, 06:50 PM   #38
tallball

My shooting buddy has one. He likes it okay and shoots it about as much as his other similar service-type pistols. I've shot a few magazines through it and didn't have strong feelings about it one way or the other.
Old January 7, 2018, 06:53 PM   #39
jimbob86

Quote:
None here.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 9, 2018, 03:43 PM   #40
jreXD9

I've had 6-7 S'fields and currently have the Mod 2 in 9mm and .45. I've had ZERO issues with all of them. They ate everything fed to them. All were/are accurate. The Mod 2 "feel" is better than the XD or XDm line and I much prefer the stock XD triggers to Glocks or S&W MP's. I'd take an XD any day of the week.
Old January 9, 2018, 04:10 PM   #41
zukiphile

Quote:
I can deal with it being a Croatian design, but SAI doesn’t have the designers to come up with their own design?
I replaced a Glock 24 with one.

I had one of the first round of Springfield labelled longslides shortly after Springfield adopted/imported them. I liked the grip well enough, I liked the grip safety, and I'd have been happy with a thumb safety too.

I never warmed to the trigger. Some people can overcome a heavy or gritty trigger; I can't. It didn't smooth with use either. That trigger would stack at irregular intervals then release with considerable overtravel.

Overall, it wasn't a bad pistol, however I never missed it after selling it.

Last edited by zukiphile; January 9, 2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old January 9, 2018, 11:35 PM   #42
SuperHerb

I've run well over 5k rounds (quit keeping a log around 5.3k) through my 5.25" 9mm XDM and I can count the FTF/FTE on one hand (due to my reloads when I first started reloading). It's a very accurate and easy shooting pistol. I've replaced the main spring and slide pin for peventative maintenance after 5k rounds and did a Powder River trigger kit early on.

I can't think of any issues with my XDS 9mm. Never had any issue with the grip safety failing to engage on either one. Unfortunately I'm now infatuated with my CZ Custom P01 now and rarely shoot the XDM....but carry the XDS still.
Old January 10, 2018, 01:09 AM   #43
Xd45owner

I Love My XDm45
Old January 10, 2018, 09:00 AM   #44
mrdaputer

I loved my XD but a PPQ came into my life so I had to dump it Love her just a bit more
Old January 12, 2018, 03:21 AM   #45
Cosmodragoon

I spent the better part of an afternoon with a full-sized 9mm XD at a friend's home range. It performed well and I don't recall any issues. In terms of handling and overall shooting experience though, I just didn't like it as much as a lot of other modern polymer pistols. That's not counting my disinterest in grip safeties or the phrase "grip zone". Altogether, it just didn't have much to offer me personally.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:57 AM   #46
JJ45

Funny thing. The "grip zone" logo on those Mod2s is a complete no-go for me. That's why I have an XD9 Service and Xdm 3.8 Compact....if it didn't have that IMO silly print, I would probably have a Mod2 instead of the XD9

Why they would do that is beyond me, as most makers probably study every little thing when it comes to marketing a new pistol. But everyone's different and it surely doesn't bother others.
Old January 12, 2018, 08:47 AM   #47
sarge83

My nephew bought one of the 3.8 compacts a couple of years ago and is not impressed. After about 10 feet accuracy on his particular piece drops off. He can put a human silhouette target at 15 feet and wear it out with my 1911's, .357's and makarov with nice tight groups but his XD is all over the place. His brother and my son can't keep it in nice tight groups either.
Old January 12, 2018, 06:42 PM   #48
Ballisticrat

Recall regret

I carried mine regularly until I sent it in to get the trigger "fixed". They ruined it in my opinion. Don't carry it any longer. Just my 2 cents
Old January 13, 2018, 01:42 AM   #49
hemiram

I just can't get past the look of them, and the price. I don't see any reason that an XD should cost a penny more than a Sar or Canik. It's a cheapish polymer gun. The grip safety is not a problem, but I don't see the point of it.
Old January 13, 2018, 06:46 AM   #50
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiram View Post
I just can't get past the look of them, and the price. I don't see any reason that an XD should cost a penny more than a Sar or Canik. It's a cheapish polymer gun. The grip safety is not a problem, but I don't see the point of it.
Part of the cost is the warranty. Springfield will fix anything on the gun and pay shipping forever. I use to own both Sar and Canik pistols and the I could see parts and repair being a problem in the future. I had a pre springfield XD the HS2000. Parts were a problem until springfield started importing the gun.