The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 30, 2002, 04:18 PM   #1
gmtx

Sig conversion barrel IDPA legal?

I have a Sig 229 in .357sig. I have a 9mm Bar-Sto conversion barrel on order. Will I be able to use this in IDPA competition? I submitted this question to the IDPA website but still have no relpy. The rulebook isn't working either. I get an error message when I try opening it both at home and at work.
Old August 30, 2002, 04:44 PM   #2
John Forsyth

Maybe I am a little slow, but isn't the breech face different for a 9mm and a .357Sig which is based on a .40S&W? I question if it is going to work at all, much less if it is legal or not.

But to answer your question, I think it would be legal.
Old August 30, 2002, 05:42 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I *think* you will be OK, because SIG-Sauer makes the P229 in 9mm so you will be shooting it in a caliber the gun is regularly available in.

However, there was a guy with a Glock 31 .357 who wanted to put in a .40 barrel and IDPA HQ told him no, the G31 is not available in .40 so he could not change the caliber and still shoot in SSP. This even though the only difference between a G31 and a G22 is the barrel and the model number marking.

So I would not noise it around too much. If anybody asks, you are shooting a P229 9mm and that is that.

John, some guns like SIG Sauers and Glocks have enough extractor depth and travel to pull a 9mm in a .40 breechface. Usually. The barrelmakers caution that the conversion barrels are for range use only, not duty or defense.
Old August 31, 2002, 09:47 AM   #4
John Forsyth

Thanks for the info Jim. I can understand why we would want to get away from .357Sig in competition (expensive ammo) and going to 9mm (cheap ammo). But why not go to .40 instead? Ammo is still relatively inexpensive and would not have to be concerned about any reliability issues.

I am a little surprised about the IDPA ruling on the G31 and the .40 barrel. I know lots of folks who have .38Supers and replace barrel to go to 9mm and that's legal. I have a 1911 with both a 10mm and a .40 barrel. At one time I could shoot either CDP or ESP with one pistol.

I guess I would have argued the point that under the rules for SSP inclusive list of permitted modification, Internal accuracy work to include replacement of barrel with one of factory configuration, that the .40 barrel in a G31 is a factory configuration. Lots of people shooting with Bar-Sto barrels in their Glocks so they can use lead.

See you at the Nats if not sooner.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:03 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Gonna have some trouble running 9 on a 40 breechface.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:21 AM   #6
gmtx

Thanks for the reply's. Until I get an answer from IDPA - IF I do - the answer seems to be maybe.

To answer the breechface question, these barrels are specifically manufactured to fit the .40 breechface. Hence the key word "conversion". They also manufacture a 9mm barrel to replace the original 229 9mm model. I have fired both and they definitely are worth the money.
Old September 1, 2002, 08:06 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

Thank you for that info.
Old September 3, 2002, 01:05 PM   #8
gmtx

Got my answer this morning.

"That is considered internal accuracy work and is a legal IDPA modification."