The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 22, 2017, 01:22 PM   #26
peggysue

I recall in the Army and having the old finish gone, rattly 45's in the 1980s in our reserve and training units unit in the USA. I did qualify as Marksman with it. They were WW2 vintage. Handled by thousands.
Old May 23, 2017, 07:12 AM   #27
CowTowner

They were just as bad in the 70's. But still, a very effective sidearm.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 23, 2017, 12:47 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

The last major purchase of 1911A1 by the military was in 1945, and all pending contracts were cancelled. The war was over and we had more than enough pistols for the future "peace".

I inspected literally thousands of them while I was in the Army, repaired VERY few, because very few needed it. Serviceability was the criteria, accuracy was not.

I saw several 1911s still in arms rooms, a couple still looked nearly new. 1911A1s ranging from new looking (not many, but some) to well worn, but still serviceable finishes.

My maint. level covered everything short of replacing the frame or refinishing the pistol. VERY few came to the shop for repair, the most common thing needing replacement was grips and recoil spring, and that was done at the company level. What I got in the small arms shop was a small number of guns needing replacement sights, or having loose plunger tubes, and guns that had been used by gorillas who stripped/loosened the grip screw bushings.

Sure, they were loose, and many rattled, but they WORKED. And if you couldn't hit a man's torso at pistol ranges (somewhere) the fault was yours.

And that all the Army required, really.