The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 17, 2019, 10:42 AM   #1
Jambuster

Problem with Lee Collet neck sizing die

This has happened with a 223 and a 22 hornet collet die in the last year. In both cases i am neck sizing new brass and after 20 or 30 rounds it gets moe and more difficult to extract the case. Then the case neck breaks off and is stuck on the mandrel. This requires a replacement mandrel. In both cases i was using new brass of a type i have never used before : for the 223 it was American Eagle ; for the 22 Hornet it was Privi Partazan.

I. Have used these dies for thousands of rounds. Mostly Remington and Winchester. No problems
Old March 17, 2019, 10:56 AM   #2
wild willy

Did you try lubing the inside of the case neck.I had it happen twice in a thousand new L.C. I was able to get the neck off the die haven't had it happen since
Old March 17, 2019, 11:50 AM   #3
1stmar

Generally speaking most new brass is already sized. You are likely expanding the case mouth not sizing it down. You may be getting brass shavings on the mandrel.
Old March 17, 2019, 12:01 PM   #4
std7mag

First off, leave nothing to chance.
Full length size new brass. If you have a tight chamber, are you sure you are even going to be able to close the bolt?
Check trim length on new brass. Very few have i run accross that i didn't trim some off after sizing.
Camfer/deburr.
I also uniform my primer pockets, and uniform/deburr the flash holes.

As for the necks coming off the casings on a collet die, that is indeed strange!
The deprime/expander on the collet die is smooth. (Except for the portion on the end which fits through the flash hole to deprime)

I'm guessing you have it set incorrectly, and are squeezing the neck onto the "expander" shaft.
Try loosening the die in the press some, and lube inside of case neck.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 17, 2019, 12:20 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

Delete, I completely misread the OP's post.

Last edited by mikejonestkd; March 17, 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old March 17, 2019, 02:35 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

He said it was new brass. Probably the main cause is new brass (and ss pin wet-tumbled brass) have no carbon inside the necks to help provide slip lubrication, so the brass rubs off onto the mandrel and the broken neck is sticking to that build-up. Just dip the necks in some Imperial Neck Lube or some motor mica same as when resizing cases conventionally. If that doesn't stop it, you can polish the mandrel and clean it and burnish graphite into it with a cloth and some alcohol.

A completely different possibility is the collet fingers are locking closed on the neck. If the necks are on the thin side, this is more likely to occur. Take the cap off the die and drop the collet closing female taper into your hand and apply a very thin layer of grease to the inside of it. Teflon grease is good for this. Put it back together and try again.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 17, 2019, 05:57 PM   #7
pete2

I have the same problem, pulling the necks off. I don't know what the answer is, prolly lubing them. For some reason the brass seizes on the mandrel. As for not needing to size new brass, don't you believe it. Always size it and check the length.
Old March 17, 2019, 07:55 PM   #8
Bill Daniel

Lee Collet Nec Die

I also had this happen with new brass and found UncleNick’s answer to be the issue. The mandrel was layered with brass which had never occurred with fired brass. I cleaned the mandrel and lubed the necks of new brass and the problem did not re-occur.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 18, 2019, 10:53 AM   #9
Jambuster

Just so you guys know on the 22 Hornet I have done quite a bit of neck sizing with new Winchester brass and have had no problems. But it is clearly thinner than the Privi Brass.

Most of the 223 I have sized has been been fired .

How did you get the brass necks off the mandrel
Old March 18, 2019, 07:58 PM   #10
wild willy

It’s been a while I’ve been thinking about it.But I don’t remember I know it didn’t damage the die.Sorry I’m not much help.
Old March 19, 2019, 01:15 PM   #11
Bill Daniel

Lee Collet die

To ge the brass off the mandrel I placed the mandrel in a drill and used CLP on a cleaning patch and spun it till the brass was removed. It did not take long.
All the best
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 19, 2019, 03:33 PM   #12
mgulino

I recently began using a Lee collet die to neck size once-fired 223 brass. I use powdered graphite as a lubricant...just dip the neck in and tap on the edge of the jar on the way out. Works great and I haven't had any issues. Makes seating a new bullet easy too.
Old March 19, 2019, 03:44 PM   #13
wild willy

He’s not talking about brass build up on the mandrel he talking about the neck of the case being torn off and being tight on the mandrel .
Old March 20, 2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Bill Daniel

Lee collet

Thanks Wild Willy: I have not had the neck tear off and stuck on the mandrel. I would suggest putting it in the freezer for an hour the apply Kroil to penetrate over night to see if that will loosen the neck to slide off.
All the best,
Bill