The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2019, 02:55 PM   #1
test drive

.38 special

Ok, I have the old Lee single one at a time reload kit that comes in the little red box for .38 special. I used to use the same type kit for 45acp years ago its slow but ok to reload a box or two now and then. What I’m looking for is a powder that I can use on different types and weights for .38. The dipper is .5cc now it comes with a load data sheet but I’m looking for one powder that I could use with a few different bullets such as Lead or jacketed. This will only be for plinking with a Ruger Blackhawk. I’ll still store buy where accuracy is important. So I’m thinking HS6 or V-N350 ? I would prefer to use jacketed but sometimes you may run into a deal on LRN or LSWC know what I mean. Like I said it’s just for plinking with the Ruger. Later on I may get serious but right now it’s just plinking out back. Thanks.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:03 PM   #2
FITASC

Several powders can fill that bill; however their charges will not be the same for different bullet weights.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 16, 2019, 03:32 PM   #3
USSR

Save your $$$ up, buy a scale and ditch the dippers.

Don
Old March 16, 2019, 03:47 PM   #4
Reloadron

If you simply want to stay with using dippers for measuring your powder charges then I would think about the LEE PRECISION 90100 Powder Measure Kit, Yellow. Personally I would go with a scale, even an inexpensive scale like the Lee Safety Scale should get you there.

The largest problem was mentioned in that different bullets (weight) require different powder charges. Even the charge weights can vary between load data sources.

Ron
Old March 17, 2019, 02:28 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Ditch the dippers because they can vary the powder charge plus or minus a full grain.
CC's are a metric unit of liquid volume measure too. Nothing to do with reloading.
"...prefer to use jacketed..." Gets expensive quickly. For plinking and target shooting cast bullets are the way to go.
Partial to Bullseye for .38 loads myself. Works with cast or jacketed.
Old March 17, 2019, 02:38 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Dippers are fine, but get a scale anyway for calibration and checking. Make you own 2 or 3 dippers for the loads you like.

231, Green Dot, American Select, Bullseye, Universal, Unique are good powders for .38 Special. There are plenty others; Titegroup is not one of them if you want to use lead bullets (it might be okay for jacketed, I dunno)

HS-6 sounds like a bad choice to me. If you use it anyway, get some magnum pistol primers or Federal small rifle primers because it's hard to ignite. I don't know anything about N350 except who makes it.

Last edited by zxcvbob; March 17, 2019 at 06:25 PM.
Old March 17, 2019, 03:01 PM   #7
jag2

I’m on the other side, I’ve used the dippers for decades but I do have a scale to fine tune them. You can buy the dippers for a buck apiece so I bought several 3cc and 5cc. I’ve got four powders for 9mm so each dipper is set for a particular powder. You can safely use the 3cc with Win 231 or Bullseye in 38s. Where I differ, I’m not a fan of lead but it is really best for .38s, either 148 WC or 158 RN. I tried some 130 FMJ but accuracy was terrible.
Old March 17, 2019, 03:17 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
Ditch the dippers because they can vary the powder charge plus or minus a full grain.
CC's are a metric unit of liquid volume measure too. Nothing to do with reloading.
All common mechanical powder measures dispense by volume. It's the single most common way of measuring powder when you include mass-manufactured commercial ammunition. Whether or not that volume is calibrated in cubic centimeters or cubic inches or, like my old RCBS Uniflow, in a completely arbitrary unit doesn't matter to the powder. The powder can't read the name of the unit of measure. You check what your volume throws with a scale, and once you have the right volume for the charge weight you need, regardless of what unit it is based on, it works just fine.

In the case of the cc, the liquid definition was dropped in 1969, and it is now officially the dry volume of a cube one centimeter on each side. No liquids are any longer involved in its definition.

A sack of flour can't tell if the measuring cup scooping from it is calibrated in fluid ounces or in cc's (metric cups), yet it still works for baking recipes. The recipe just cares that you come up with a close enough amount, whatever you use to get there. Same with powder in cartridges.

Incidentally, cc's are on their way out, especially in medicine. Apparently, depending on the typeface, some persons who don't put on their glasses can read "cc" as "00", causing them to multiply a dosage by 100. So the milliliter, which is now defined the same way as a cubic centimeter, is starting to replace it. In Europe, it already has, which is why their engine displacements are all in liters instead of in cc's, as our small engines are.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 18, 2019, 06:01 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

Dippers are fine, but you do need a scale to verify powder weights. Each lot of powder can give a different weight.

No matter what type of powder measuring device you use -- dipper, rotary, disk, etc., you need a scale.

As for particular powder, my absolute go to powder for .38 Special (and a lot of other handgun cartridges) is WW 231. I've never found anything that I like better.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 18, 2019, 07:25 AM   #10
griz

I'm not sure from your post if you're already checking with a scale, but if not then I'm voting with the many others here who are recommending one.

As to which powder, Universal, AA #5, Unique, and probably several others are well suited to a wide range of 38 bullet weights.
Old March 18, 2019, 09:14 AM   #11
dahermit

"...CC's are a metric unit of liquid volume measure too. Nothing to do with reloading." As Uncle Nick notes, "CC's" are "cubic centimeters", a measure of volume without regard to what is being measured. "Milliliters" (mL), is the metric unit of measure for liquids.

Other than that, in regard to the original post, although it has been many years (55) since I had a couple of those "whack a mole" Lee loaders (9mm, .44 Mag.), as I remember the charge card listed loads for both cast and jacketed bullets.

I would suggest just using the charge card instructions without buying any unnecessary (the loads in the instruction sheet were modest pressure) additional equipment until you decide whether or not handloading is the hobby for you...then you can start adding equipment to your bench. That is how many of us old timers started.

Last edited by dahermit; March 18, 2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old March 18, 2019, 09:41 AM   #12
BWM

Winchester 231 is a powder you can use in hand gun I use it for some light loads in my 357 44 44 mag I have used seance the mid 80,s does very good in 380 up to 44mag good luck
Old March 18, 2019, 10:31 AM   #13
mikld

I started with a Lee Loader in 38 Special and assembled quite a few rounds with it. But my second purchase (or mebbe 3rd after a manual) was a scale. Besides getting more consistent powder charges, a scale can be used to develop a dipping method. I found that I could vary the charge by different "dips" by nearly a full grain (bottom first, mouth first, strike w/straight edge, shake, once and/or twice through, etc.). Some times, 35+ years later ,I'll use dippers when I don't want to reset a powder measure or don't want to take too long setting up for one box of ammo...
Old March 18, 2019, 10:52 AM   #14
Average Joe

get a scale, you need to know what you are putting into that case ..... dippers are a crap shoot...
Old March 18, 2019, 11:13 AM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
get a scale, you need to know what you are putting into that case ..... dippers are a crap shoot...
Nonsense. If one follows the procedure exactly as listed on the charge card that Lee provides with the tool, the charge weight will be as consistent as that dropped with a powder measure. Note: If you read what the original poster posted, he just wants some .38 Special "plinking loads". It need not be turned into rocket science if that is all he wants.
Old March 18, 2019, 03:36 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

Trail Boss would be the powder I advise using. Though you will have to cut down a case to make a dipper. Trail Boss is not as sensitive to weight. Just do not compress it, and do not use it with full wad cutters. (With full wad cutters you can not get enough powder in the case to get the bullet out of the barrel every time.) Otherwise it requires a high amount of case fill.
Old March 18, 2019, 03:48 PM   #17
joed

Same way I started. I quickly bought a scale and trickler and started weighing charges. That tool did make ammo that shot well. I still have it but haven't used it in 40 years.
Old March 19, 2019, 10:56 AM   #18
mikld

The key to successfully using dippers is consistency. Use the same method, the same speed, and the same "pressure" and the powder charges will be more consistent. After practice and when I was on "a roll" I could get repeatable powder charges hovering around .1 grain variation of Bullseye or W231 (my most used 38 Special powders in the beginning).

Mt first reloading was for a Rossi 3" 38 Special (1969) and I used a Lee Loader stuffing a dipped charge of Bullseye under a generic 158 gr. SWC in scrounged brass primed with CCI SP primers (I frequented a police range when most officers used revolvers in 38 or 357, and they didn't mind if I picked up a few cases here and there). I got some surprisingly accurate ammo, for me at least...

Last edited by mikld; March 19, 2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old March 19, 2019, 11:18 AM   #19
pwc

Lyman has a pocket scale for around $24. Accurate enough for my .38 and .45; I cross check against my Pacific balance and it is always on. Be sure to aclimate it to the environment in which it will be used; garage, shed, etc. for at least 3 hrs before use.
Old March 19, 2019, 12:02 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

My biggest gripe with those pocket style compact scales is that the display faces straight up, making it impossible for me to read when I'm working at my loading bench. I have to stand up to read the display, then sit down again.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2019, 11:00 AM   #21
mikld

As Mr. Irwin mentioned, reading the display can be rough. I keep my reloading bench brightly lit and when I use my Frankfort Arsenal scale, I have to shade the display or the glare makes it impossible to read...
Old March 20, 2019, 11:59 AM   #22
USSR

FWIW, the scale is the one thing you DEFINITELY want to have and not go cheap on. I intentionally buy balance beam scales and offer them at lower prices to my students than they can buy elsewhere.

Don
Old March 20, 2019, 07:38 PM   #23
test drive

Ok got a scale. New question. I went with universal powder and a box of XTP 125 grn. The load listed for this combo is very anemic so I have loaded the .38 cases to the .357 data with same bullit. This is used in a Ruger Blackhawk and the loads “ feel “ more like a .38 +p. Other than the danger of this round finding its way in to a .38 (which I do not own) does anyone see a problem with this load ? I feel it’s still way with in the safety level of the Ruger even though the pressure is elevated more than this load in a .357 case. Thanks.
Old March 20, 2019, 08:09 PM   #24
zxcvbob

The pressure is higher because the case is shorter and has less volume. Might be a lot higher.

Get some .357 Magnum brass; start with the .357 load data and work your way *down* to something you like.

I've done the same thing as you, using Blue Dot powder and 158 grain cast bullets. Blew the heads clean-off a couple of cases. (the gun was fine) I don't do that anymore.
Old March 20, 2019, 08:18 PM   #25
USSR

Why would you not use .38 Special load data? You are not approaching reloading in a very logical manner.

Don