The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 12, 2019, 02:10 AM   #1
RooBoi

Marlin 60

I just purchased a 1988, marlin 60

Was wondering if the year model I have is special or not for any reason.

First gun I've ever owned, hope its a good platform to start on.
Old March 12, 2019, 06:34 AM   #2
sparkyv

I'm not familiar with collectable Marlin M60s, but I doubt it's too special. However, it's an excellent platform to start out your firearms ownership, which if you're like many of us, could evolve into a near addiction. Congrats on your M60, I really enjoy mine.
Old March 12, 2019, 06:46 AM   #3
mgulino

Congrats on a fine 22 rifle. I have an early 1980 model that shoots great.
Model 60s began production in 1960. The original model had a 22 inch barrel and magazine tube for a capacity of 18 LR rounds. About 1985 Marlin added a "last shot bolt hold open" feature. In the late 80s, the magazine capacity was reduced to 14 or 15 rounds by shortening the tube. In 2000 the barrel was shortened to 19 inches to match the magazine tube.
Old March 12, 2019, 07:01 AM   #4
Onward Allusion

Congrats on your first gun. It's a classic that is surprisingly accurate for an inexpensive gun. Go shoot it...a lot.
Old March 12, 2019, 10:13 AM   #5
COSteve

Congrats on your purchase. You should really enjoy it.

I've got a 1987 M-60 with a checkered, birch stock myself. Even though I also have 2ea 10/22s I've had since 1973, the Marlin is much more accurate, smoother operating, and my favorite squirrel gun. I added a compact Bushnell .22 Varmint Scope as it's very accurate and a real joy to shoot.
Old March 12, 2019, 10:55 AM   #6
jmr40

Those are decent guns that tend to shoot very well. For lots of folks it was their 1st gun including me. I got one for Christmas when I was 10 or 11. That would have been around 1968. I wore it out years ago, but still have it.

Over the years they have made dozens of different variations on that rifle including lots of commemorative versions for various companies and organizations. Most of those have very little additional monetary value, but to the right person might sell at a slight premium.

Winston Churchill
Old March 12, 2019, 11:20 AM   #7
GarandTd

Congrats and welcome to the forum. The Marlin 60 is a good rifle. Great way to start what may become a lifelong obsession.
Old March 13, 2019, 01:07 AM   #8
RooBoi

https://i.imgur.com/mJByTAt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hMoHA4C.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KmSXaxw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/wXZ9BPB.jpg

Large images so beware!
I did the nickle and penny test.

So, was wondering since this is a pass fail course how did I do?

https://youtu.be/VbKR0xCOa2Q

This is my guide I ran with, pretty informational.

Any other neat tricks like this to get my rifle in tune?

I was running lead rounds until I was told it fouls the rifle due to build up. Im not all too sure about that, but let me know what you think.

A few mod coming in here soon, once they are in ill upload pictures and goodies.

I pinched my return spring, new one is flying in the mail from Marlin.

https://imgur.com/a/psdPgEW
Whoa! look at this, is that the lifter? Should it be rubbing the ramp? Noticed this before starting the extraction spring, had so much going on I forgot about it. Its defiantly rubbing the ramp/ breach.

Thank you guys, for posting, ill probably need a mod to turn this into a build thread before too long.

Last edited by RooBoi; March 13, 2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old March 14, 2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Hdonly

M60's are nice shooting rifles. A friend of mine has one. We do a "beer" shoot off every time we shoot .22's. Me and my 10/22 and him and his 60. We run about 50/50 who wins.
Old March 27, 2019, 08:55 PM   #10
jmstr

1988 a good year? Hmmm.

If I recall correctly, I'd rate the 1984-89 as the optimal years.

My recollection may be faulty, but, based on it, here is why:
  • Still has 17 round tube magazine [before dropping to 14 round- thank you NJ].
  • Has improved feedthroat and ejector wire, instead of old 'nub' for ejection on feed throat.
  • Has LSHO bolt feature, to lock back on empty.
  • Can change front sight out [unlike pre 1975 Model 60s- where front sight was part of magazine tube band.

The only thing I don't care for about them is they had plastic triggers [I THINK- I could easily be wrong]. I prefer metal- but this can be fixed.

Depending on your interests and outlook, there are a couple of ways to improve the action/trigger. You can read most of them at rimfire central dot com.

A person going by 'arrowdodger' makes a awesome trigger modification to the action.

I define it as awesome because it is so light [under 2 lbs] and smooth, but also completely safe.

The only drawbacks are longer takeup and reset- compared to a 1911-type short takeup/reset.

However, I had it done and love it. My KIDD trigger in a Ruger 10/22 is shorter pull, less overtravel, and more adjustable- but then I have to have a 10/22.

I prefer the Marlin- as I prefer tubes to detachable mags.

Good purchase- enjoy!
Old March 28, 2019, 03:48 PM   #11
osbornk

I doubt your rifle is worn out. My brother used to buy "worn out" 22 rifles but a really good barrel cleaning fixed them along with a good cleaning and lubricating of the rest of the gun. The inaccurate "worn out" rifles shot accurately after they were cleaned properly.
Old March 29, 2019, 08:21 AM   #12
joe45c

jmstr, As far as Arrowdogger goes he does make a excellent trigger upgrade, but he seems to be missing in action. He has not been heard from for a couple months on rimfirecentral. Hope he's ok. he has provided a lot of useful info about the Marlin 60.
Old March 29, 2019, 09:03 AM   #13
stinkeypete

The fun thing about the marlin trigger upgrade is it references a BIC ballpoint pen you buy for $1.29 then cannibalize for it’s spring.

Depending on your intended use, I would recommend a Simmons 4x fixed power scope. They run about $30. For hunting and plinking, mine has been a simple sturdy little scope with no bells or whistles or features above it’s price point. I mean... zoom power ranges and big tubes are cheap and easy to make incorrectly for cheap and people buy the features, not the functionality. A fixed power scope has the advantage of being rugged and of a much simpler design so the optics are more clear and less prone to distortions and leaks and... it will do the job all day at 50 yards, and 50 yards is getting far out there for field use!

I went with a 10/22 because the ruger has silly upgrade and “lipstick” options (stuff that looks “cool” but do nothing) and resale value is higher because people don’t know how good the model 60 is. I have my eye out for someone selling theirs for far less than it is worth.

Last edited by stinkeypete; March 29, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old March 29, 2019, 12:14 PM   #14
FITASC

My 60s outshoot my 10/22s all day long
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 3, 2019, 05:55 AM   #15
JJ45

Bought my son a Dunham's Special M60, the one with the squirrel medallion in the stock

Tried a bunch of ammo and it seems to like CCI Standard Velocity the best..also did some after market trigger upgrades and there was some improvement but nothing like a "glass rod" break.

These are iconic 22s and you don't have to worry about losing a magazine in the field.