The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 29, 2011, 11:14 AM   #26
Albacore

Quote:
Just go for it!!! Don't be a Mosinwussy!!!
LOL!!!
Old August 29, 2011, 12:12 PM   #27
Don P

Quote:
Where can I get a buttpad,that metal plate looks painfull
Here, www.tickbitesupply.com
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 29, 2011, 09:10 PM   #28
Cheapshooter

BTW, was at the range today. Shot about 10 mrounds each in my 91/59, 91/30 Ishy, Hungarin M44, and 30 rounds through my Romanina PSL. No rubber pads, and NO BRUSES!!! Ya just gotta learn how to hold 'em!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 30, 2011, 07:45 AM   #29
jsmaye

Quote:
Ya just gotta learn how to hold 'em!
That's what I was thinking - pull them in hard against your shoulder and there's no impact and no bruising. At the range I see shooters holding the rifle loosely or even away from the shoulder. <Bang!><THUD!><Ouch...>
Old August 30, 2011, 08:08 AM   #30
Coyote WT

Just another one welcoming you to both the forum and the wonderful world of the 91/30. This is the first rifle that got me back into firearms since I ETS'ed from the army back in '84. I've been pumping between 60 and 100 rounds a week down range since March and have had zero problem. I will say, however, the trigger pull is a bit rough on mine when compared to a more modern rifle.

Enjoy!
Springfield XD .45
Old August 30, 2011, 11:13 AM   #31
Albacore

Well, I have 880 milsurp rounds on the way for the Mosin (should be here tomorrow), and am looking forward to shooting it. I imagine I'll be fatigued enough after 50 to 100 rounds. Now I'm being told I can "borrow" my dad's SMLE Mark III. Can you say "borrow indefinitely?" I'm excited about that, but the .303 British rounds for that seem to be extremely expensive. Like $1.00 per round expensive. Still, it's supposed to be a fantastic rifle. It seems as though I'm getting into the milsurps quickly (not my original plan).
I am 44 years old, but I feel like a kid.
Old August 30, 2011, 02:41 PM   #32
TCL

Remember that the surplus ammo in those tins is corrosive. Flush your barrel and bolt thoroughly with hot water immediately after you're done shooting, then go about your normal cleaning routine.

For your SMLE, recommend Prvi's 174gr FMJ. It's the closest you'll get to the Mark VII ball ammo in a commercial load, and the brass is good for reloading. The remaining surplus .303 isn't worth the bother - corrosive, old, and unreliable.
Old August 30, 2011, 08:35 PM   #33
kilimanjaro

The SMLE is a great rifle to shoot. If you don't have hot water at the shoot site, use windex, spray the breach, bolt face, and down the barrel, then clean it then and there. At home, repeat, with scalding water. I just put the kettle on and pour from the spout.

As mentioned above, the .303 surplus out there is pretty much junk, all is corrosive and not worth the trouble. That Serbian Prvi is excellent, going for about $16 here. Try www.ammoengine.com to search out deals, and look for a reloading buddy, buy the dies and brass, make your own for about $0.40 first load, less each case re-use. You should get about 8 loads out of one case, more if you drop the load a couple of grains.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:25 PM   #34
pvt.Long

pads are for women and panzies dont wuss out and get a butt pad. my m14 kicks harder then a mosin or a 1903 and ill put around 100 rounds down range with no but pad and not think twice. Be proud of the black and blue badge of honor. Hold the rifle but firm into the hollow spot of your shoulder, don't be scared of it. It you hold it tight enough you'll only feel a push no a kick.
Old August 30, 2011, 09:58 PM   #35
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Remember that the surplus ammo in those tins is corrosive. Flush your barrel and bolt thoroughly with hot water immediately after you're done shooting, then go about your normal cleaning routine.
I carry a plastic bottle of a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water in my shooting bag whenever I go to shoot anything with surplus ammo. I run a couple patches of the solution through the bore, a couple dry patches, then a patch soaked in Rem Oil. I then clean them as usual with Hoppe's #9, and oil the bore with Rem Oil again as soon as I can. The ammonia and water, then Rem Oil has always kept them from rusting until the next day, or longer.
Old August 30, 2011, 10:03 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It seems as though I'm getting into the milsurps quickly (not my original plan).
I am 44 years old, but I feel like a kid.

Get a C&R FFL, and start ordering!!!
Old August 30, 2011, 10:11 PM   #37
M4BGRINGO

The first day I took mine out to the range I had the gun firmly on my shoulder, it was a decent kick. Pulled the trigger again, nothing........ Realized that I was shooting a BOLT ACTION rifle, not a semi, DUH!!!!!!!!! My wife laughed at me. Well, I got her. I slid that bolt back and it tossed the empty shell right on her! She was sitting a few feet from me with the spotting scope.

I finished shooting, asked her if she wanted to, she said NO WAY! She saw how much it was kicking me. I started to hold the gun looser against me so I could feel it more!

That steel buttplate wasn't so bad. After 40 rounds though I decided a rubber pad would be better so I could do more shooting in a day.

I have two of them. I left one alone, the other one I modified a lot, new stock, modifed the bolt handle so I could mount a scope. Doesn't look anything like the rifle I bought. Some will hate me for doing it, but there are millions out there, these things are not rare.
Old August 31, 2011, 02:03 PM   #38
Albacore

Originally posted by cheapshooter:
Quote:
I carry a plastic bottle of a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water in my shooting bag whenever I go to shoot anything with surplus ammo. I run a couple patches of the solution through the bore, a couple dry patches, then a patch soaked in Rem Oil. I then clean them as usual with Hoppe's #9, and oil the bore with Rem Oil again as soon as I can. The ammonia and water, then Rem Oil has always kept them from rusting until the next day, or longer.
So I could use this method on-site, maybe with a bore snake, then take it home for a more thorough cleaning the next day? Also- will the use of those brass brushes in my cleaning kit damage my gun, or no? I am new to this gun stuff, and a little ignorant on these matters.
Old August 31, 2011, 03:30 PM   #39
tobnpr

I would definitely NOT use the brushes that came with the rifle...

One area not to "skimp" is on the cleaning tools.
ALWAYS clean from the breech. If possible, use a bore guide.
If you can afford the 30 bucks, get a good quality, one-piece, ball-bearing cleaning rod like a Dewey. And a 30 cal jag to go with...

Main thing with corrosive ammo is to get the salts out of the bore as quickly as possible. You've seen what salt does to steel- and this is no different. It attracts moisture, and causes rust quickly. Once the bore is "flushed", you can take your time getting to the usual cleaning routine.

Many schools of thought on this. Do a search...
I've found that the simplest, is the best. I use Wipe-Out, a foaming cleaner that also cleans copper deposits. Let it sit overnight, patch it out the next day. DONE. I don't use bore brushes...
Old August 31, 2011, 11:55 PM   #40
warningshot

Now just hold on there!

Just what do you think Remington, S&W, Taurus et al has to say about all you guys out there buying MilSurp MNs instead of something new...new and expensive?

All of you don't need a .23 cent 7.62X54R cartridge gun, no no no. You need a Super Dooper Mag-Na-Lum $1.98 per round kinda gun. You know...the kind of gun that I make a higher sales commssion on. That's right, just step right over here...
Old September 6, 2011, 02:26 PM   #41
Albacore

Well, I brought my 1943 Soviet (Izhevsk) M91/30 home on Saturday. It's in pretty good shape overall. The wood is very nice. Lots of cosmoline has absorbed, giving it a nice sheen. The barrel looks good, nice rifling with no pits. I am concerned that the bolt and the magazine floor both have different mismatched numbers. I am more concerned about the bolt. Is my concern merited, or unneceessary in light of all the refurbishing that occurred? There is a "matching" serial number on the side of the receiver as well as the barrel-possibly an indication of a refurb? Any insight appreciated. I will probably take it to a gunsmith to have the headspace checked before firing. I have read some horror stories on some of the other sites in regards to peirced rounds and exploding bolts.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:43 PM   #42
TCL

Your rifle is certainly a refurb. Matching parts (or not) isn't a concern for a shooter Mosin; most parts were renumbered during the refurbishment process anyway. Original numbers-matching Mosins are rare birds.

I have never heard of a Mosin with improper headspace, but anything is possible. Checking your firing pin protrusion is easy; a quick google will turn up plenty of instruction on how to do that. Disassemble it, clean all the cosmoline off, put it back together, and have fun!
Old September 6, 2011, 03:06 PM   #43
Cheapshooter

Quote:
All of you don't need a .23 cent 7.62X54R cartridge gun, no no no. You need a Super Dooper Mag-Na-Lum $1.98 per round kinda gun. You know...the kind of gun that I make a higher sales commssion on. That's right, just step right over here...
Got some of them too!!!
Old September 6, 2011, 03:17 PM   #44
Albacore

Thanks, TCL. Seems lots of folks on the web like to make things seem worse than they are. I'll Google the firing pin, and have already studied up on cleaning this thing out good. I'm jonesin' to shoot it.
Old September 6, 2011, 03:18 PM   #45
mooman13

Albacore,

Congrats! that was my first rifle. I shoot it in my military rifle competitions. Very accurate, if you plan on reloading your own ammo that makes it even better. They tend to kick a little more then you would expect so be ready for that. other then that there is nothing wrong with them. Fun gun to own and shoot for how cheap they are. after you shoot it clean it, just to help keep it in good shape. Shoot often.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:40 PM   #46
Albacore

Update- pics

Okay, I had to revive my thread so I could post a pic of this thing. Anyways, here is a pic of my Mosin...

Old September 27, 2011, 07:14 AM   #47
rude robert

I was playing around with mine about 6 months ago and i ranged a bird on a rock about 200 yrds away. Bad mistake, had the wife there with me(thought she was dozing off in the truck. I shot at the bird(with iron sites), she swore that I hit it, I think I was just really close. She was not happy with me at all lol.
Old September 27, 2011, 08:57 AM   #48
tobnpr

^^
Seems that should have been an easy one to figure out...
If it didn't fly away...(?)
Old September 27, 2011, 10:30 AM   #49
hornetguy

Quote:
pads are for women and panzies dont wuss out and get a butt pad. my m14 kicks harder then a mosin or a 1903 and ill put around 100 rounds down range with no but pad and not think twice. Be proud of the black and blue badge of honor. Hold the rifle but firm into the hollow spot of your shoulder, don't be scared of it. It you hold it tight enough you'll only feel a push no a kick.
heck, just put it on your chin and fire it like the Sgt's do with the M16's... be PROUD of that dislocated jaw and those chipped teeth (after the anesthesia wears off, that is)
I have a difficult time believing that an M14, a rifle that weighs more, with a better designed stock, shooting a less-powerful round will kick more than the Mosin.. but, what do I know?
Badge of honor, indeed.

You can find the "chinese" type recoil pads that replace the metal buttplate all over Ebay for around 10 bucks. I imagine they would help immensely, plus add to the length of pull for those of us with normal to long sleeve lengths.
Old September 27, 2011, 11:26 PM   #50
MagnumWill

Great looking gun Albacore! My first rifle was a '43 91/30 as well, and now it's currently wearing a PU repro scope and mount (which looks durn good IMO)

The REAL problem you'll have with your Mosin isn't the fact that you'll want more (which is true)- it's what's known as a "gateway" rifle. Once you get really involved with it, your pursuit of other firearms has the potential to get completely out of control

"I won't be like that guy!" (lol couldn't resist, Coloradans will get it)