The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Would you allow someone to use an AR Platform to hunt in your camp?
Against the idea 7 4.17%
Open minded but no 8 4.76%
A little hesitate but go ahead 6 3.57%
Go ahead 147 87.50%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 13, 2008, 09:34 PM   #51
22-rimfire

If it's legal, you're free to choose what you want to hunt with.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:09 AM   #52
stevelyn

Come on........

Is it really that important what someone hunts with? No wonder there's a Fudd/2A divide.

Quote:
Agreed, but appropriate if done to someone who shows up at a hunting camp with 30 round mag!!!!
I've never went chasing after wolves with less than a 20 and there are a large majority of Alaska natives that would disagree with you.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 14, 2008, 07:18 PM   #53
wogpotter

We usually pick on AK's an AR15's too.
But only because we like .308's

Seriously. It's not what equipment you have, but how well & responsibly you use it. We've had M1a, FAL, H&K 91, ar-15, AK 47, AK-M, Dragunoffs, AR 15, & Lee Enfields & Mausers & many others in camp. We've never had an issue either internally, or externally.

The most dangerous part of any firearm is the big nut behind the trigger.

If you physically threatning me, based on my choice of hardare, rather than my ethics, handling, & safety, then you need to take a long cool look in the mirror to see who exactly is dangerous.
Old December 14, 2008, 10:09 PM   #54
Bitmap

Quote:
Ak's are a different matter. Show up with one of those and you'll be deemed an idiot and told to go away.
Quote:
appropriate if done to someone who shows up at a hunting camp with 30 round mag!!!!
L_Killkenny, I'm not sure what your problem is, but just for you I think I'm going to fill another one of my tags with an AK and a 30 round mag. I'll be sure to load all 30 rounds, too.

Quote:
BTW: An AK with an ultimak, aimpoint and 5 round magazine makes a pretty handy hog gun.
Don't you mean 30 round mag? Maybe 75 round drum? What if 6 hogs show up?
Old December 14, 2008, 10:29 PM   #55
MeekAndMild

Quote:
...appropriate if done to someone who shows up...
So how is advocating physical violence appropriate? One reads that sort of thing all the time in antigun postings but seldom on TFL.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 14, 2008, 11:26 PM   #56
shortwave

If its legal and and has a safe operator,use it.
Old December 15, 2008, 06:39 AM   #57
Daryl

Quote:
If its legal and and has a safe operator,use it.
If they aren't acting legally, and/or aren't a safe operator, then they aren't welcome in my camp no matter what firearm is used.

Daryl
Old December 15, 2008, 10:19 AM   #58
wogpotter

Quote:
If they aren't acting legally, and/or aren't a safe operator, then they aren't welcome in my camp no matter what firearm is used.

Daryl
And, sadly, that's the other side of the story.

We do our annual camp on an invitation basis. There are usually a lot of people who say "I'm coming" all year & then don't show up. We usually get at least one who just arrives out of the blue who hasn't said a word all year.

We had one a few years ago. He insisted in changing his clothing to match whatever rifle he produced that day.
M1a= tiger stripe camo.

AR-15= OD fatigues & so on.

We started being very carefull round him.

Then out came a 460 Weatherby magnum bolt gun & a safari suit.

He was absolutely dangerous with all of them. We talked to him privately, without any improvment at all, so we asked him to leave, politely.

It was not the rifle that caused us to do this but the person using it. It made no difference wether he had a "hunting rifle" or an "assault Weapon".
Old December 15, 2008, 10:52 AM   #59
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

texfar, how should I "lighten up"? I merely commented about two particular cartridges with respect to a particular purpose and situation. Again, I don't think the platform is particularly important or has negative connotations. A guy with an AR-10 oughta do okay in any deer hunt, for instance.
Old December 15, 2008, 01:44 PM   #60
armedtotheteeth

Ars work great. Every deer i got this year was with a Ar. yesterdays was with a Ar10. The other 3 where with a Ar15. I used to be strickly Bolt action hunter. That was before 40 hogs where running directly at me when I had a 5 round bolt gun, and nowhere to go. Hogs have gotten bad around here. You usually either see none, or 10. My Ar15 is a handy dandy little pig gun, and accurate to 300 yards, offhand. Im hoping all these R25s and Varmint Ar15s, such as the predator, and the like will steer people and thoughts of them being the "assault weapons" that they have been come to be known as. I could give a crap less about a bayonet lug, and could live without the Muzzlebrake on a Ar15. I Require the use of my 20 round mags, and will continue to do so. I have alot of 30 rounders, but they are not conduscive to prone shooting and get in the way. If I use 30 rounders, usually they are loaded to 20 just for weight. Spending more money for a 10 or 5 round magazine is stupid, and refuse to do so. We can hunt with whatever we want to here, as long as it is not Rimfire, or Fullauto. The Game warden knows me by name around here and doesnt even jack with me anymore . "Oh, crap@ Its the guy with the Pile of guns in the back of his truck again!" He knows I kill my fair share of hogs, he told me to kill the Mountain Lion if I see it. Kinda odd coming from a game warden.
Old December 15, 2008, 11:20 PM   #61
FrontSight

I once shot a 1/4 inch group at 100 yds with an AR-10 .308 from a bench (fmj, not hunting rounds). If it can do the same or close with a hunting round then why not?

If it's legal in an area, then we need to support each other & not fight amongst ourselves.

Same goes for crossbow; if it's legal, then we need to stick together, or we will self destruct!
Old December 15, 2008, 11:27 PM   #62
powerboatr

simply put IMO they were designed for killing people.
there are much better firearms for hunting deer and like.

hunting game like that should be done at close range anyway, it gives em a fighting chance

1/2 -3/4 mile is not hunting....its sniping

using a dillon square deal reloader
Old December 15, 2008, 11:27 PM   #63
armedtotheteeth

I hope more people start using them. It pees off the Antis, makes the guns more popular, and gives them a " sporting pupose"
Also in a pinch they could be used in self defense if stuff got bad at home.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:11 AM   #64
wogpotter

Quote:
If it's legal in an area, then we need to support each other & not fight amongst ourselves.
Quote:

hunting game like that should be done at close range anyway, it gives em a fighting chance

And these two statements point out in a nutshell why the anti-gun crowd are winning.

You can cleanly, ethically, hunt with a Battle rifle. There is no [I]obligation[I] to use any rifle at "long range, for sniping". This is a mis-conception that is being used by the anti's to drive even more wedges between differing types of gun owners for them. AND IT'S WORKING.

We'll all either sink alone, or swim together.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:18 AM   #65
buzz_knox

Quote:
"That's pretty nutball, you know."

Agreed, but appropriate if done to someone who shows up at a hunting camp with 30 round mag!!!!

LK
Hopefully someone with another weapon will use the appropriate force to stop your homicidal attack. Or, do you not understand that it is nutball to state that you will attempt to murder someone through the use of a deadly weapon, namely the bludgeon which you are using the rifle as?

It's ironic that someone will protest an "assault weapon" via an assault.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:31 AM   #66
MaxHeadSpace

The current REMINGTON AR config, manufactured by Bushmaster, is "real tree" cammo, "optic ready" flat top w/o sights and sold with a "hunting legal" 5 rd. mag -- although it readily accepts any AR mag.

It's marketed as a "varmint rifle."
Old December 16, 2008, 11:24 AM   #67
davlandrum

+1 to everyone who said it is more about the person than the rifle.

Someone who shows up and 1) doesn't know how thier rifle works, 2) doesn't know how to safely handle a gun, 3) doesn't know the difference between OK and NOT OK, and 4) has not read the regs is not welcome. I don't care if he is carrying his grandpa's 30-30 or an AR.

The only thing I would have a personal problem with is if it was chambered in .223 (legal in Oregon for deer). I don't write the regs, but I am entitled to my opinion.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old December 16, 2008, 11:51 AM   #68
Kreyzhorse

First off, I'm not a fan of "black" rifles. But, just because I'm not a fan of them doesn't mean that they aren't capable hunting rifles. I would certainly welcome any one hunting with them and the truth be told, more people should hunt with them.

The stereotype of the "black assault rifle" needs to be knocked down and the more people own and use them for target shooting and hunting, the easier it is to break down those stereotypes. In my world, a rifle is a rifle. There are no "assault" rifles or "long range sniper style" rifles, just rifles.
Old December 16, 2008, 09:38 PM   #69
shortwave

+1 Krazyhorse. I shot my brother with a sling-shot when we were little. Slingshot wasn`t black but the belt my mom used on me was. Still yet today I consider a black belt an assault weapon
Old December 16, 2008, 10:01 PM   #70
armedtotheteeth

I know lots of people are fond of bolt rifles. I used to be. I could not honestly agree with powerbtrs opinion of "simply put IMO they were designed for killing people.

1/2 -3/4 mile is not hunting....its sniping "

well I limit my shots to deer to about 200 yards with the Ar15 simply because of energy. The AR10 (338 Federal) can go a bit further once i figure out how it shoots. ( After the stinking city hunters get off the lease!)
Ill take a shot at a hog out to 400 yards. I dont care, Die hogs!!

Id put my 20 inch non floated Ar15 up against any bolt action rifle at 100 yards for accuracy. Bring it on! I dont have to even move my eye from the scope to shoot again. Hell i could even have 2 in the air at the same time if I wanted too. That may be a stretch.. hmm 3100 FPS, 300 feet.... .1 second, yeah do able.
You would be hard pressed to find a better deer rifle than our little Ar10T. It may offend some wieners, I dont care atall. You can keep your bolt gun. Ill take something in semi auto myself. Would you rather drive a 77 model Pinto.. Or a New Ferrari??
Old December 16, 2008, 10:16 PM   #71
ZeroJunk

I really don't see much need for hunting with a semi-auto unless you want to kill more than one deer at the same time.
Old December 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #72
DonR101395

Quote:
I really don't see much need for hunting with a semi-auto unless you want to kill more than one deer at the same time.

Playing devil's advocate:
I don't see much need for hunting when the grocery store is fully stocked with meat
Old December 16, 2008, 10:18 PM   #73
armedtotheteeth

Thats what I thought until I had 40 hogs running in my direction with a 5 round bolt gun.
And there is the .01 percent chance that i might miss.. if the sun was in my eye , and the wind suddenly gusted to 30 MPH. A quick follow up shot would be nice. I would never go flinging brass on deer. Hogs? Now thats a differnt story.
Old December 16, 2008, 11:40 PM   #74
MeekAndMild

Quote:
I save my close range weapons (knives) for chasing down an killing tomatoes, cabbages and turnips. I like to smell their bodily fluids and listen to their screams as I tear off their leaves one by one. Sometimes okra will gore me when it's fighting for its life.

BTW, did you bother to read the links I posted concerning the origins of the semiautomatic rifle. It was designed for civilian use and the machine gun was designed for warfare.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old December 17, 2008, 07:33 AM   #75
ZeroJunk

Quote:
I don't see much need for hunting when the grocery store is fully stocked with meat

LOL. I still hunt, but I just don't shoot anything. I've killed all the deer I will this year unless some needy family asks for one.Somebody needs to shoot them as there are simply too many in this area. I'm taking a kid with me and really hoping he can get a good deer, but he hasn't had any luck. I am seeing a lot of deer, one great buck in particular. But, all I am taking now is a pistol which I can't hit anything with anyway.