The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 25, 2018, 05:43 AM   #26
10-96

I don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but Amazon was selling some really cheap Chinese made clips some years back. I thought that for the price, at least a few out of a box of 20 would be alright. I was sort of right, only a couple out of a box of 20 were of any use at all.

Not all clips are made equal.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 25, 2018, 11:46 AM   #27
RC20

Quote:
Ahh, you spotted the range cart..... Yes, it was a lazy Black Friday informal enbloc clip loading tutorial. Don't laugh at the pajamas, I shoot H/P matches with a master that wears sandals and shorts in the summer !
Man if I wanted to see people in their PJs I would got to the grocery store! Oh the humanity!

And please no pictures of the master!
Old November 25, 2018, 09:04 PM   #28
Nodak1858

Quote:
I don't know if someone has already mentioned it, but Amazon was selling some really cheap Chinese made clips some years back. I thought that for the price, at least a few out of a box of 20 would be alright. I was sort of right, only a couple out of a box of 20 were of any use at all.

Not all clips are made equal.
This is very true. What are your enbocs stamped with?
Some clips have very heavy parkerizing which can make it hard to insert in the rifle, but this doesn't seem to be your issue.
Old March 24, 2019, 12:08 AM   #29
'88Scrat

I hate to dig up an old post but I gotta figure this out...

Went out to the range today looking forward to an afternoon of target shooting and I had the SAME problem again, even with the new en blocs I got. I can't put into words how frustrating this is, it just ruins the enjoyability of shooting my Garands. I spend more time fighting the en blocs than shooting. The worst part is I can't for the life of me figure out what I could be doing wrong. I've looked at every corner of the internet for how to get properly loaded up and so far nothing...

Ran into a new problem this time as well, sometimes when I thought I had an en bloc loaded up right I'd go to insert it into the rifle only to find it had expanded so much with rounds in it that it would not fit into the rifle.

I'm at the point where for just a moment earlier today I actually pretty seriously considered selling my M1 rifles...

Help...
Old March 24, 2019, 07:40 AM   #30
Nathan

Try this LINK

This is my technique basically.
Old March 24, 2019, 05:09 PM   #31
Reloadron

Will the clips of dummy rounds I sent you manually cycle? Those clips dhould cycle manually just fine as I ran them through one of my own Garands. Your loaded clips should look just like them when finished but with loaded live rounds.

Ron
Old March 24, 2019, 06:01 PM   #32
pwc

Just for grins and giggles could the rifle be a reweld and the tolerances/alignment are off?
Old March 24, 2019, 06:32 PM   #33
'88Scrat

They dummy rounds you sent (thanks again by the way!) fit fine into the clip or seem to anyway. But when I got to insert any loaded clip into either of my M1s its like they expand to much and won't seat in the magazine. I have to REALLY push hard to get 'em to go in. Same thing with live rounds. Alll rounds still fit VERY tight in the en bloc.

I suppose its possible I've just gotten really unlucky with bad en bloc clips but at this point I've found only one that works reliably. And when it does it fits like a glove, but it's one out of like 30 that I have.

Maybe a video or or something would help describe this...
Old March 24, 2019, 10:36 PM   #34
Nodak1858

The ones that you have issues with what are they stamped?
And also the one that works what is that one?
So you have more than one rifle and they both have the same issue?
Check out the video from Natahn's link. When you have the enblocs loaded do they match the loaded one at the end of the video?
When yu put the rounds in the enbloc, are the bases of the rounds at the bottom of the clip?
The extractor groove in the case needs to "mate" up with the groove stamped in the sides of the enbloc.
This is a good one, how I do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvMFwk4PL1I

Last edited by Nodak1858; March 24, 2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old March 24, 2019, 10:45 PM   #35
'88Scrat

The one that works reliably is marked AEC 3 the others are a hodgepodge of various. Some of those are also marked AEC 3

As best I can describe the issue I get the clip loaded and it looks correct. All are uniform within a few mm at most but almost always you can hear one round in the middle kinda rattle around a bit like its loose. That round is always one of the middle 4 and can be moved around a bit in the clip just by nudging it. When this happens it will not go easily into the rifle. When I can get all 8 in with no rattle they slide like butter into either rifle. This has only happened a few times however. As far as I can tell I'm not changing in any way how I load the clip but sometimes (rarely) it just seems to work while most times its difficult.
Old March 24, 2019, 10:53 PM   #36
Nodak1858

AEC3 one are usually good to go, the park is heavy on some, I have taken a green Scotch brite pad to it and knocked down the roughness on them when they were new. Sounds like the rounds are not all seated to the bottom. Wen they are all seated they shouldn't rattle. Sometimes the rounds can get hung up on each other on the extractor groove.
If you have any stamped SF, those sometimes give guys problems.
Old March 24, 2019, 11:05 PM   #37
'88Scrat

The round in the middle is so loose I can actually spin it with my fingers.
Old March 24, 2019, 11:15 PM   #38
Nodak1858

I just grabbed a loaded AEC clip with HXP in it. When you are loading the rounds, are they all seated to the bottom? I tried it were I staggering them some a bit off the bottom, like 303 in a stripper clip, and I had a loose round in it.
Old March 24, 2019, 11:17 PM   #39
Nodak1858

this is not how they should be, these are rimmed 303, but this is what I tried and got loose ones.

They should look like this in the clip
Old March 25, 2019, 08:15 AM   #40
Reloadron

Back in post #16 I tossed out a few images of how the clip has a groove which will allow the extractor grooves of the cartridges to align with. A loaded clip is tight, very tight so how tight the cartridges fit is normal.

The only way a loaded clip will expand as it is pressed into the rifle is if the follower is not dropping easily pushing the loaded cartridges up as you try to push the clip down. While holding the operating rod back you should be able to easily push the follower down using your fingers, just make sure you hold the op-rod securely, least fingers have a bad day.

The clips I sent were GI and they functioned fine in a few of my rifles so those are good. Likewise the dummy rounds, I checked them for form, fit and function, so something is keeping the loaded clips from going in the rifle.

Ron
Old March 25, 2019, 04:29 PM   #41
GarandTd

I had a similar problem with a couple of my en Bloc clips. I just stopped using them, but it was 2 out of a total of 5 that I have, so the scale of my problem and solution was not nearly as big. The clips were purchased pre loaded with surplus ammo. There were several duds amongst them (old 42' stamped rounds). When the time came to reload those clips, they were very difficult and when loaded in the rifle, the rifle wouldn't strip rounds from the clips without chewing them up. I can't tell the difference in those clips. They look the same as the ones that work.
Old March 25, 2019, 07:41 PM   #42
pwc

The early CMP stocks ised to have bullet point dents where GIs would bang the clips to seat the carts back into the clip before loading. You can accomplish the same by by banging the back of the clip on the bench.

Last edited by pwc; March 25, 2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old March 26, 2019, 12:41 AM   #43
veprdude

Sounds like the bullets aren't seated all the way to the bottom. There should be no gap between the bottom of the clip and the bottom of the bullet.

The last round should be loaded on the right side of the clip where the dimple is. But I think that problem was solved long ago. I always load them the correct way so I don't get funny looks.
Old March 26, 2019, 11:59 AM   #44
agtman

Interesting necro-thread.

As always, ... wait for the 'Ping!'
Old March 26, 2019, 02:58 PM   #45
GarandTd

Quote:
Interesting necro-thread
At least the OP is still actively involved.
Old March 26, 2019, 03:36 PM   #46
raimius

Are the cartridges seated against the back of the clip (bottom of the "U")? If you don't get them all the way back, they will be loose and generally cause problems.
Old March 26, 2019, 05:56 PM   #47
'88Scrat

I'll make a point to make sure they are all seated. When I look they seem to be but I'll make a greater point of it in the future.