The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 19, 2019, 10:25 PM   #26
idek

I've got three. I got my first when I was pretty new to firearms, and I was guilty of getting various unnecessary add-ons/accessories because they looked cool to me at the time (stuff like muzzle breaks and heat shrouds ). I learned through my wallet that some "improvements" didn't make that gun any better.

I still tinker around with aftermarket 10-22 components (but I'm better at selecting parts than I used to be). I've got one gun set up to be a heavier, more stable shooter, another to be very light (about 4.5# with a 1.5-4x scope) for carrying around during woods walks, and the least modified one has the 50th anniversary modular stock with Tech-Sight iron sights.

I like the variety the gun can offer, but none of my changes have made the 10-22's any more reliable. They all functioned well from the start, and even in their out-of-the-box form, they were nice little guns.
Old March 20, 2019, 05:31 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
Exactly. Very timely purchase of the 10/22 since .22lr ammo is now back almost to where it was prior to panic/drought. Blazer back then was easily found for $15/500, then during the drought went as high as $50/500 if found at all. Now it is down to about $22-$24/brick. Not sure if it will ever get back to $15 with inflation and so many more shooters added since then. . . .
This weekend, I spotted Remington Thunderbolts at Wal-Mart for $14.58/500. It know it's not Blazer, but my 10/22 eats it just fine. I have a buddy who swears that his 10/22 prefers T-bolts.
Old March 20, 2019, 07:27 AM   #28
Ricklin

Federal from Bud's

Bud's had a great sale around Xmas on the Black pack Federal .22.
Great price, I think it was 58 bucks for 3,400 rounds.

I shot several hundred of them Saturday, accurate and sure fire. No issues.

Anyone else have the International model? I think that is what Ruger called the 10/22 with Mannlicher stock.
I've always had a soft spot for full length stocks. Ruger did their International model in the 60's and a friend had one that I pined for.

Thanks to distributor specials Ruger reissued the full stock carbine. Nice piece of walnut, i has Basket weave style laser cut checkering.
It's a very handsome little carbine. I got it several years ago.
Old March 20, 2019, 10:51 AM   #29
pete2

I have 2000 rounds of CCI Std to arrive from Brownells tomorrow, final cost will be just under 25.00 per brick(500). To me if a firearms isn't accurate and reliable it ain't worth a flying flip. I've had problems with Remington and Federal ammo. No longer buy them, don't buy Winchester either. The problems with rem was some don't fire, Fed and Win some go poof instead of bang.
Old August 16, 2019, 04:18 AM   #30
MrBot

IMHO Ruger is one fabulous American firearm manufacturer. They concentrate on affordable firearms that are usually sturdily made & appeal to your Average Joe. I own 3 of their offerings. An old college roomy once boasted their center-fire rifles are amongst the safest with 7 locking lugs preventing the bolt from blowing back in the event of a barrel obstruction. ..not sure if that's still the case. I would think the 10-22 will serve you well. But for me when it came time to add a .22 semi-auto to the collection I OPTED INSTEAD FOR THE MARLIN MODEL 60. ..a much prettier rifle. No comparison in aesthetics. And I've read that opinion a lot. Look @ 'em side by side to see what I mean. The wood on the Ruger is 2nd rate at best. The Marlin is more accurate. We like accuracy. About the only thing the 10-22 has over the 60 is the rotary magazine that sits flush, thus no additional tube nor bottom hanging magazine. ..and after-market options, of which there is no shortage. But since I buy/build my guns the way I want 'em then leave 'em alone I've no interest in this market. ..not one to have a lot of spare parts in the gun room. If I own it it has a use. If I don't need it it doesn't get bought. If I can't decide what I want my firearm to look like I hold off 'til I do. ..holds down on clutter. ..not sure what your reasoning was for buying the Ruger. ..not that it's a bad rifle. OK for the $. ..just better, handsomer, just as inexpensive alternatives out there. And if you didn't need the semi-auto function I'd argue the Savage Mark II is a much better buy. It's adjustable Accu-trigger is a fairly inexpensive improvement. It'll run circles around the Ruger in accuracy/ease of trigger control. ..love mine. And, again, like the Marlin it has much better aesthetics than the 10-22. The Ruger isn't a bad consolation prize. ..wouldn't turn it down. The biggest complaint a lot of folks are gonna have is that you bought it from Dick's. The NRA, America's Foremost Defender of Freedom, of which every gun owner should be a member, has come down hard against Dick's & its conflicted stance against our coveted 2nd Amendment. For some of us you are either all-in or your not in at all. A whole lot of us gun lovers quit spending our hard-earned $ with them a while back when its CEO couldn't decide if he liked selling guns or not. ..too many other fine sellers of anything & everything Dick's sells to do business with them.
Old August 16, 2019, 07:27 AM   #31
zincwarrior

There's a special place in our culture for good shooting .22 rifles. Good for you.
Old August 16, 2019, 05:27 PM   #32
paulo57509

I bought my 10/22 from a catalog store back in 1978.

$59.74 plus tax and it was not on sale.

I also have a 1966 vintage 10/22 that was willed to me (along with a 1953 High Standard Sport King with 4 and 6 inch barrels). This 10/22 was the first firearm I ever shot. It's scoped with an El Paso Weaver C6.

Both 10/22 are box stock.
Old August 16, 2019, 05:30 PM   #33
dgludwig

I buy my firearms strictly from Second Amendment friendly sellers and I am fortunate to have two such stores within easy driving distances from my home.
The Ruger 10/22 is the best bang for the buck imo when it comes to .22 rf, semi-auto rifles. My favorite variant is the s/s model having the checkered walnut, "Mannlicher"-style stock.

Last edited by dgludwig; August 16, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Old August 16, 2019, 07:07 PM   #34
thallub

Those Rugers are very good rifles. One of mine makes consistent 1" five shot groups at 50 yards using 45 year old WW Target ammo.
Old August 16, 2019, 09:58 PM   #35
GaryED50

10/22's are awesome rifles

Gary
Old August 17, 2019, 03:11 AM   #36
MrBot

Another good place (Dick's isn't a good place), if I'm remembering it correctly as it's been a couple of years since I visited the site, to buy and CUSTOMIZE a 10-22 is Woody's. It seems they can set you up with laminated stocks in a multitude of colors @ what seemed reasonable prices--you want pink they got pink--and styles. Sporters; thumbholes; you name it. ..thought about putting together something through them once & may end up doing it yet. ..could build one darn pretty rifle; ss bbl; laminated sporter stock in some exotic color; after-market trigger; upgraded bbl. ..got me thinkin'.
Old August 17, 2019, 03:47 PM   #37
flashhole

Dick's sucks. They betrayed all of us with their gun policies. Good on you that you got a good deal. Salesmen will tell you anything to sell you a gun but the 10/22 is a solid investment. You depleted another semi-auto from their inventory. Dick's can rot in he!!.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 17, 2019, 09:12 PM   #38
MrBot

Without question one of the biggest reasons for going with the 10/22 is the aftermarket upgrades available. ..lots of stuff out there. Dang! Now it's got me thinkin'. Thinkin' can get you into all kinds of trouble. ..kinda been into the AR 15s for the last yr & a half. But wow! putting together a sweet little 10/22 could be one sweet project. ..kinda have in mind what it might include. ..could go ss all the way; bbl; scope; rings; you name it! ..could end up being a real looker. Well....I haven't bought a gun in a while. lol
Old August 17, 2019, 09:30 PM   #39
wingman

One can really sink a lot of $$$ into the little fellows, I know.!!!
Old August 17, 2019, 10:42 PM   #40
MrBot

Dad nab it! Don't say that. ..hadn't even been thinkin' 'bought no Ruger 10/22 'til I read this post. But you can build some really cute li'l rifles with these guys.
Old September 7, 2019, 04:32 PM   #41
langenc

Dont have a 10/22 but do have a Rem 66 that has only been shot less than 100 rounds.

I dont believe in buying something and then throwing 2/3 of it away.
Old September 8, 2019, 12:46 AM   #42
MrBot

Wow, a Remington Nylon 66. .. never owned nor shot one but it sure does bring back memories. ..wasn't even a teen yet when that one came out. If memory serves me it came with a ss bbl, right? ..read one time they came out with it as they wanted a rifle pretty much impervious to ocean salt-water spray. ..used it on fishing boats or something up near Alaska. ..true story? ..brown nylon stock? I remember a college chemistry professor mentioning Nylon 66 in class one day (about 1973). ..was one awesome material used in that stock. Only 100 rounds? Dang! Better get on it.

You are not ready for meat--you are still on the bottle. Stacy Washington: aka, Stacy On the Right]
Old September 8, 2019, 09:34 AM   #43
FITASC

I had one, sold it, wound up buying another one and a Marlin 60; both are decently accurate, but I seem to prefer the stock length of the Marlin better. Both will shoot anything, even the cheap Thunderbolts, with no malfs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 8, 2019, 07:04 PM   #44
dgludwig

If memory serves me it came with a ss bbl, right?

I don't remember that part. But the little Remington Nylon 66 was pretty impervious to the elements compared to almost anything else in the era.
Old October 2, 2019, 02:30 AM   #45
silvermane_1

Funny i thought Dick's stop selling mag fed semi-auto rifles after Sandy Hook.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old October 2, 2019, 10:44 AM   #46
USNRet93

Old thread but I just bought the below..Ruger 1022 take-down version...$350 at Jax..GREAT little shooter plus they gave me good $ on a Henry AR-7 tradein...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 312290745800x8001.jpg (85.1 KB, 21 views)

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; October 4, 2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old October 2, 2019, 08:00 PM   #47
MTT TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93 View Post
Old thread but I just bought the below..Ruger 1022 take-down version...$250 at Jax..GREAT little shooter plus they gave me good $ on a Henry AR-7 tradein...
That is a good deal. I have never seen a takedown model that cheap, mostly they have been running well North of $350.
Old October 4, 2019, 06:41 AM   #48
USNRet93

HA..read your post and thought, that IS a good deal..sorry..went to University of Colorado, so can't count-
$350 at Jax..on 120th in Westminster..

"Tools not Trophies”