The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 17, 2016, 05:46 PM   #201
Ozzieman

I really thought that one would last longer, I'm really starting to think my computer has been hacked like Hillary's

63 Ribeyrolles 1918 automatic carbine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribeyr...omatic_carbine
The Ribeyrolles 1918 was an attempt to manufacture an automatic rifle for the French forces. It was chambered in the experimental 8×35 mm round, used straight blow-back, was fed from a 25 round magazine and had an effective range of 400 m. The cartridge, arguably the first purpose-built intermediate cartridge, was obtained by necking it down the .351 Winchester Self-Loading.[1] Another source indicates that it was chambered in a cartridge designated 8×32 mmSR.[2]
Its official name was Carabine Mitrailleuse 1918[citation needed] (Machine Carbine 1918 in English); in a 2007 book it appears as "fusil automatique Ribeyrolles 1918".[2] The Ribeyrolles had the distinction of being fitted with a lightweight bipod on the front (which would be meant to be used as a support weapon for a group of soldiers) and a rifle bayonet identical to that of Berthier Model 1907/15.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 17, 2016, 05:51 PM   #202
Ozzieman

Its a tool for a gun.
For extra points who designed it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (26.3 KB, 75 views)

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 18, 2016, 05:18 AM   #203
Mike Irwin
Staff

Lewwallace,

That's a Webley and Scott Model 1910 semi-auto pistol in .38 ACP.

If it had a hammer, it would be a Model 1913.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 19, 2016, 07:05 PM   #204
Ozzieman

Its a tool for a gun.
Sorry for taking so long to get back on this one.
I'm not going to tell you what it is. But I will give you a location for a movie that shows how its used and what it is used on.
A great man designed it and it was used on the production line.
This one is not an original but a copy of his original design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CLvnLgDOWs

Old October 19, 2016, 07:15 PM   #205
Ozzieman

Next for your employment
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 a.jpg (47.1 KB, 70 views)

Old October 19, 2016, 08:03 PM   #206
sgms

I believe that is a Turner Light Rifle one of the submissions for the carbine competition during WW2. He submitted 2 one with a skeletal stock and air cooled leave the other with a more standard wood furniture set with a different sight set up.

Last edited by sgms; October 19, 2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old October 20, 2016, 04:44 PM   #207
Ozzieman

Its a tool for a gun.
Here is another photo of John Garand's en block clip loader
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 A Clip loader for the M1 Rifle.jpg (29.0 KB, 48 views)

Old October 20, 2016, 04:46 PM   #208
Ozzieman

sgms Good one, I have also attached a photo of his 2nd variant

1 Turner M1941 Carbine variant 1
http://www.forgottenweapons.com/ligh...urner-carbine/
Turner carbine
Russell Turner was a private inventor from Pennsylvania, and submitted this prototype to the Light Rifle trials in August of 1941. It was an unusual entrant in its use of a metal forearm and tubular metal stock (both of which were deemed unacceptable by the test committee). It was a gas operated design with a 3-position adjustable gas regulator and a piston running along the right side of the barrel. Full auto fire was enabled by turning the hex-head socket screw behind the trigger. It weight in at 4.5 pounds with a sling and 5-round magazine, with a 15.5 inch barrel and 33.9 inch OAL.
The rifle did not perform well in testing – the committee rated its general functioning as “poor”, although it did not have trouble with parts failures. Accuracy and recoil were deemed excellent, but the rain and dust tests were not very successful. The final report suggested that Mr. Turner improve the rifle and resubmit it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Turner M1941 Carbine variant 1.jpg (66.1 KB, 34 views)

Old October 20, 2016, 04:52 PM   #209
Ozzieman

This one might not be so hard.
If you guess correctly then What rifle beat it to replace the Springfield 1873 Trap door.
If you have to look it up on line then your cheating on this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (42.2 KB, 74 views)

Old October 20, 2016, 10:41 PM   #210
Ulrice

i guess a winchester 1895
Old October 21, 2016, 01:27 AM   #211
Old Stony

Maybe a Krag?
Old October 21, 2016, 06:53 AM   #212
Jimro

The "Savage Military Rifle" which lost out in the 1892 military rifle trials to the Krag-Jorgenson was later tweaked and brought to market as the Savage 1895, which received one more refinement to become the famous Savage 1899 lever action rifle.

As a side note, the Krag-Jorgenson wasn't the shortest lived standard service rifle, that honor falls to the M14 which had an official lifespan of only 6 years (although it is still in service as an SDM and Sniper rifle). The Krag was replaced by the M1903 which had a 71 year service life, and the M14 was replaced with the M16, which is only in its 51st year of service.

The Savage 99 sold over a million units, making it a more successful design than the Army's order of a half million Krag 1894s.

Jimro
Old October 21, 2016, 07:39 AM   #213
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The "Savage Military Rifle" which lost out in the 1892 military rifle trials to the Krag-Jorgenson..."

No. That's a commercial Savage.

It has a schnable forearm. The military prototype rifles, and Savage's later military muskets, all had full-length stocks, upper hand guards, finger grooves, and bayonet lugs.

The picture isn't very clear, but that sight appears to be the ramp adjustable Marble style sight that was available prior to World War I.

Can't tell from that angle whether the buttstock is a perchbelly or not.

The butt has obviously been cut for a recoil pad, and a particularly ill fitted one, at that.

My guess is, given the straight lever body, that it's pre World War I.

Old October 21, 2016, 09:27 AM   #214
Jimro

Mike Irwin,

You are correct, I thought Ozzieman was asking which variant of Savage lever rifle was beat out by the Krag, not which variant of Savage 99 was in the picture.

Jimro
Old October 21, 2016, 09:50 AM   #215
Mike Irwin
Staff

OH! Ah hell, yeah, I think you're right. I misread the question.

Old October 21, 2016, 03:31 PM   #216
Ozzieman

I never said I wasn't sneaky.
Just wait until I get into gun tools

Old October 21, 2016, 03:34 PM   #217
Ozzieman

What the heck,,, might as well start now.
What is it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (194.4 KB, 70 views)

Old October 21, 2016, 03:36 PM   #218
Ozzieman

And if you cant tell me what this is and who built it...... SHAME ON YOU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (80.9 KB, 65 views)

Old October 21, 2016, 10:20 PM   #219
Ulrice

The first picture is of a Despatch Recapper made by G&J.W.Hawksly. It is a tool for removing and refilling the firing cap. I'm guessing that the second picture is a priming tool.
Old October 22, 2016, 11:01 AM   #220
Ozzieman

Ulrice, very good, You got the HARD one correct and the second WRONG>
The original photo I removed the primer decapping pin because I felt that cheating was in order
Then I did on the second one, the second one was not a gun but a design by one of the great Tool and gun designers of the century.
Ruger Drill

If anyone sees a video of someone using one, please share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Ruger Drill.jpg (114.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2 10 bore Hawksley Despatch capper decapper.jpg (194.5 KB, 35 views)

Old October 22, 2016, 11:08 AM   #221
Ozzieman

It is a reloading tool.
What dose it reload?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 3 a.jpg (50.8 KB, 54 views)

Old October 23, 2016, 06:14 PM   #222
Ozzieman

Sorry I can't show you how they work and I didn't know that pin fire cartridges were reloadable. The two photos are following. This is also a good explanation of the Pin fire cartridge on the web site below.
3 A 12B G & J.W. Hawksley pinfire redecapper
3 B is a pinfire redecapper and cartridge trimming tool. At the end of the handle is a knurled wheel on a grub screw which is used to grip the old pin to remove from the cartridge. The tool also incorporates a cartridge trimmer blade which emerges when the knurled ring on the body of the tool is turned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinfire_cartridge

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9A&FORM=VRDGAR

This is acturaly a stupid person shooting a pin fire shot gun built in 1869. Both barrels at once.
Can any one spell Damascus Barrel

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...FF&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 23, 2016 at 06:56 PM.
Old October 23, 2016, 06:56 PM   #223
Ozzieman

Back to guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94.jpg (186.7 KB, 72 views)

Old October 25, 2016, 06:32 AM   #224
Mike Irwin
Staff

That one took me awhile.

I knew that I had seen it before, and I finally found a reference to it....

The Andrews submachine gun.

Sort of the British answer to the Grease gun, which is odd considering that they had the Sten.

Old October 25, 2016, 05:26 PM   #225
Ozzieman

Good one Mike.
Forgotten weapons has a good article on the gun.

94 Andrews Machine Carbine

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/andr...chine-carbine/