The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Shr00m

handloading log online

I see some people posting pictures of their targets with computer generated circles that automatically show MOA. Where can I do this at? Is there an app that i can use on my phone to upload these pictures based on load data that i define? It would be great to have all my data in one spot to run analysis instead of in a paper notebook.

I was thinking that if I had an online "service" that did this i would be able to print out their specific targets so when i took pictures there "OCR" like web service would know the dimensions and automatically calculate MOA.

Does something like this exist?
Old February 26, 2016, 11:05 AM   #2
jwrowland77

I use Ballistic AE. It keeps load data with my drop tables. I can also measure targets pretty easy.

Ballistic AE is an app on the iPhone. Here's an example.

Old February 26, 2016, 11:37 AM   #3
azar92

The first one I ever heard of is OnTarget. It's an app for your laptop/desktop computer that works with a scanner. I've personally never used it as I haven't had a scanner in years until recently.

I hadn't thought of getting an app for my Android phone, but I may need to look into that too! Is Ballistic AE for the iPhone only?
Old February 26, 2016, 11:45 AM   #4
azar92

Just reading the webpage for OnTarget and found out you can simply take a picture with your phone and transfer that to your computer running OnTarget. No scanner needed. I didn't know that! I could have been using this software for years...
Old February 26, 2016, 11:52 AM   #5
jwrowland77

Quote:
Originally Posted by azar92 View Post
The first one I ever heard of is OnTarget. It's an app for your laptop/desktop computer that works with a scanner. I've personally never used it as I haven't had a scanner in years until recently.

I hadn't thought of getting an app for my Android phone, but I may need to look into that too! Is Ballistic AE for the iPhone only?

Yes. Right now I think Ballistic AE is on iPhone only.
Old February 26, 2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Shr00m

How does it determine your MOA? Do you have to figure it out based off the tape measure or does it do a ocr scan based off a predetermined reference point?
Old February 26, 2016, 12:26 PM   #7
jwrowland77

You put in your diameter of bullet, you scale the picture (reason I always put a tape measure in the pic with my group) to one inch. Put in yardage. Then you cover your holes. That's it. Super easy. It does all the mathematics for you.
Old February 26, 2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Shr00m

Awesome! Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. $20 is expensive though, would you say it's worth it? Or is there a cheaper option that you know about?
Old February 26, 2016, 12:35 PM   #9
jwrowland77

It is absolutely worth it. I literally use it every single to I go to the range whether it be practice or a match. I keep my strings for record in there from the matches.

When I'm checking out a new possible load, I'll use the app to see where it'll take me out to and stay supersonic.

It also uses the JBM calculators. So I'm able to check stability inside the app instead of having to go online.
Old February 26, 2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Clark

$12 is nothing.
Learning something new... oh.... I hear rust cracking.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?