The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 5, 2012, 02:10 PM   #1
sfmedic

" Reset"

I think this is a question for the USMC crew

I teach foreign nationals. They were trying to explain the concept of trigger reset with their AKs

Basically what I gather its when the trigger is pulled and held on semi -then bring it back forward till it clicks "reset" was taught to them when they were in the iraqi army by some USMC instructors.

How does this play into the grand scheme of things in rifle mms?

The jarheads (i use that term affectionately) thought it was important enough to include in the instruction.

Thoughts?
Old December 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #2
Erno86

I'm not a present or former member of the USMC --- but my two cents on the subject of semi automatic trigger reset --- is the proper function testing of a semi automatic firearm. A person...should perform a function safety test of the semi-automatic firearm, after field stripping and/or cleaning.

Which is: Put the cocked rifle or pistol on manual safety, in the on/safe position --- and pull the trigger --- the hammer should not fall. Next...put the safety in the off or fire position, and pull the trigger --- the hammer should fall. Keep your finger depressed back on the trigger, cock and release the charging handle --- and slowly let go of the trigger, while feeling or hearing the click of the trigger reset. If you do not feel or hear the trigger reset...the gun has malfunctioned; and might possibly go full auto when the trigger is pulled.

Last edited by Erno86; December 5, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Quentin2

Not a Marine either but an advantage of carefully releasing the semiauto trigger and feeling the reset allows you to fire again with less wasted motion. No need to release all the way then squeeze again through the full travel. It allows quicker second shots and maybe more accuracy.
Old December 7, 2012, 12:18 AM   #4
sfmedic

ahhhh trigger travel??

I guess that makes sense - I think that might fit into the follow through and recovery fundamental

I teach second sight picture and to take up the slack on the trigger before you bring the weapon down - so that might be applicable to taking up the slack

im going to have to give that a think. (and an excuse for getting some AKs and a DShK to the range today)
Old December 7, 2012, 09:41 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

Quentin2 nailed it.
Old December 7, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
hardhat harry

Quentin2 got it right. When shooting in competition using Glock 22, it was much more effective.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Marquezj16

Not a Marine either but we use to teach new shooters with the same concept.

Most new shooters would automatically release their trigger finger after the shot and often times moving their finger completely off the trigger. You can imagine the accuracy problems.

So we tell them to hold the trigger back after each shot, then slowly release until they feel the click. Then start through the cycle again. Did wonders to their accuracy.
Old December 7, 2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

I taught basic training Soldiers for 3 years and this generation is very akin to foreign nationals with AKs

The thing that I would emphasize is to hold the trigger to the rear until they regain proper sight picture for the next shot. Once they're at that point, release (slowly/deliberately) feel the click, insure sight picture/sight alinement is still correct and press the trigger to the rear. As others have stated---no wasted motion of the shooter or the rifle. This positively impacted group size for the vast majority of the Soldiers once they grasped the concept.
Old December 7, 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Metal god

If Im shooting for accuracy with a mil-spec trigger thats how I pull and releace the trigger ( shorter stroke ).

But
Quote:
semi automatic trigger reset --- is the proper function testing of a semi automatic firearm. A person...should perform a function safety test of the semi-automatic firearm, after field stripping and/or cleaning.
May not be a bad idea . I had a brand new rifle shoot auto burst of 3 & 4 rounds on slow trigger releace . Had the disconnect and hammer replaced all good now .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 8, 2012, 01:57 PM   #10
sfmedic

messed around with some AKs and PKMs today on the range. I can see what your saying about not coming off the rigger too far - but i think its largely lost on me because thats how i fire by bursts anyhow.

having said that I get it about new shooters coming all the way off because i see it all the time . I can see why its taught.

the DShk is still a POS and I dont think those levers can be "finessed" Screws up the berms big time :-)
Old December 9, 2012, 12:02 AM   #11
Eghad

Try it you will like the way it works. Less trigger travel for the next shots.

NRA Life Member
Old December 10, 2012, 11:50 AM   #12
sfmedic

bad day at the range is better than a good day in a cubicle