The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 29, 2011, 11:43 AM   #1
Hanleysh

Won a cap and ball revolver, need help

Hey all, I'm a newbie here and a newbie to cap and ball revolvers. I've recently acquired an ASM revolver(won at a local steak and shrimp feed) and have no clue what I've got here. It's never been fired, wood and brass handled with a stainless cylinder and barrel with engraving all over it. I've decided it's a .36 caliber but am unsure of production year or model or anything like that. Only numbers on it are B45361 in front of the trigger guard with some other stamping around it and ASM-BLACK POWDER ONLY MADE IN ITALY on the underside of the barrel. It came in a CVA BOX with a CVA Warranty book and a stainless powder flask(also never used). Any information on this gun would be very much appreciated, thank you in advance.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Picture would help. It is an open top Colt type or top strap Remington type?
Without a long explanation here, I'll just suggest you troll the many-many previous posts on the care and feeding of C&B revolvers.
Enjoy.
Old March 29, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
wogpotter

Check here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207028
Great thread to get you started off.
Check in the "Black Powder & Cowboy Action" forum for a bunch more good info.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 29, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
It came in a CVA BOX with a CVA Warranty book and a stainless powder flask(also never used).
CVA would be Connecitcut Vally Arms. Their FAQ says:

Quote:
4. Do you still sell or repair blackpowder revolvers like the Colt Navy or the Remington Army?

Answer: No, all remaining parts for these models were sold to Deer Creek Products. You can contact them at 765-525-6181.
Possible, likely, the revolver was made by Uberti. Uberti does list some small caliber (ie. less than .44) cap and ball revolvers. Any of them look like yours?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 29, 2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Hanleysh

Having trouble posting a pic, only Internet access I have right now is my iPhone, I'm gonna check out the links you guys provided and see what I get
Old March 29, 2011, 04:09 PM   #6
mykeal

It was manufactured by Armi San Marco (ASM), not Uberti.

There will be two Italian proof marks at various places on the gun; one consists of the letters PN under a 5 pointed star inside a garland, the other a shield under the same star/garland.

There will also be either a two letter code inside a square box or a roman numeral-like code without the box; this identifies the year when the gun was proofed by the Italian proof houses.

Here's the date decoder ring:
Old March 29, 2011, 04:46 PM   #7
Hanleysh

Its an open top and the code inside the box is AU(1989) and I believe it's an 1851 colt navy, and there's a 3rd symbol on the gun as well it looks like a capital A with a v under the line in the center of the A. Any pictures I'm finding online have blued steel barrels and cylinders. Wondering if this is "special" or not. I'll try to get a picture up for you guys tonight when I get home. Thank you very much for all the info, any more would still be greatly appreciated and I do plan on selling this gun once I find out all I can about it and what it may be worth