The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: How do you carry your concealed pistol?
Fanny pack in front. 5 1.89%
Fany pack in rear or side. 5 1.89%
Right side waist holster 135 50.94%
Left side waist holster 18 6.79%
Back waist holster 15 5.66%
front waist holster 7 2.64%
right or left side shoulder harness 4 1.51%
Ankle holster 3 1.13%
Front pockets 73 27.55%
Voters: 265. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Super-Dave

How do you carry your concealed pistol?

I was wondering how most people carry their concealed pistol.

I am having a hard time finding the right pistol and way to carry. I live in florida where it is hot almost all the time. I wear shorts and t-shirts almost everywhere I go.

George Orwell
Old July 24, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

I carry a full size S&W auto...all the time in the summer with a tagua outside belt open top holster with denim shorts.
Old July 24, 2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Super-Dave

Do you wear a jacket. I have a hard time covering a belt holstered gun without a jacket or thick xtra long shirt.

George Orwell
Old July 24, 2010, 11:59 AM   #4
DiscoRacing

I only wear t shirts... i usually wear a large but when i carry I wear a 2XL... usually covers the gun by at least two inches.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Super-Dave

My step father lives here also. All here wears every day is pants and he uses a ankle holster. I think he wears pants everyday because he has ghost white chicken legs.

George Orwell
Old July 24, 2010, 12:05 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

LoL... thats legal
Old July 24, 2010, 12:17 PM   #7
jfrey

It's hot here in Texas too and a 2X T-shirt covers my CW9 with no problems. I carry OWB with shorts and not a problem. Just get a good belt to hold it up.
Old July 24, 2010, 02:41 PM   #8
ClayInTx

Had to pick one, so was pocket.

When wearing a jacket I, sometimes, carry in a crossdraw holster but in Texas that’s seldom an option.
Old July 24, 2010, 02:46 PM   #9
chris in va

Super Dave, in your case I would consider something thin and a Clipdraw. My Kahr has that setup and I can carry it inside my waistband without a belt or anything. If there's any question as to it possibly coming out (which it hasn't), I just carry without one in the chamber. Done this plenty of times while fishing.
Old July 24, 2010, 02:47 PM   #10
troy_mclure

theres no back pocket holster selection.

its pretty popular amongst mouse gun carriers.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 24, 2010, 02:50 PM   #11
dreamweaver

Quote:
theres no back pocket holster selection.

that's where my sig 238 stays.
Old July 24, 2010, 03:44 PM   #12
gatopardo

SOB

I am right handed, use a kaltec pf9 in a uncle mikes two sizes bigger modified to be a lefty holster in the small of the back my shirt can be tucked in
Old July 24, 2010, 03:51 PM   #13
azyogi

6 IWB, my BUG is in my watch pocket. Leatherman at 8, mag pouch at 3 [I'm a southpaw] I cover those with a silk Hawaian print shirt one size too big. Silk flows better, and in the heat here wears better.

Last edited by azyogi; July 24, 2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old July 24, 2010, 03:53 PM   #14
Wildalaska

Nothing or Seecamp right back pocket or SIG 210/BHP Mexican at right kidney

WilddependingonhinkymeterAlaska ™
Old July 24, 2010, 04:13 PM   #15
threegun

Don't laugh..........fanny pack......not very proud of it but it is the only way to go IMO especially here in Florida.
Old July 24, 2010, 04:41 PM   #16
Webleymkv

Depends on the gun. My S&W M36 is carried in my right front pocket in a Tagua Pocket holster while all the others get carried in a OWB holster (make depends on the gun) on my right side.
Old July 24, 2010, 05:49 PM   #17
AK103K

A Smart Carry type holster works very well, and is very comfortable.

I use one daily with my Seecamp, and I wear basically "fitted" pants. If you wear looser clothing, you can get away with a bigger gun.

I also wear a Glock 17 in either a Blade Tech or Milt Sparks IWB.
Old July 24, 2010, 06:01 PM   #18
brabham78

9 or 10 months a year, Snubbie or 9mm, IWB - right side- 3 O'clock

2 or 3 summer months, plastic .380, right side front pocket
Old July 24, 2010, 06:05 PM   #19
Buzzcook

Standard no name shoulder holster. Although I admit to sticking my gat in the pocket of a rain coat on occasion.
Old July 24, 2010, 06:14 PM   #20
armoredman

IWB under oversize t-shirt, no issues in AZ heat. T-shirt tucked in and jacket during cool, (we don't really get cold, here.), weather.
The trick is to get something with a non steel frame and a holster with a generous sweat shield. Also don't carry something with cheesegrater grips, like my first generation P07!!! Great for open carry, heck of a great shooter, but rips my fat gut apart going concealed.
Old July 24, 2010, 06:19 PM   #21
Jimmy10mm

Quote:
I live in florida where it is hot almost all the time. I wear shorts and t-shirts almost everywhere I go.
I live in South FL and also wear shorts and a t-shirt most of the time. The 'beltster' from Bandera Gun Leather here is the best thing I've found to comfortably carry a Kahr P9 or a Sig P238.
Old July 24, 2010, 06:56 PM   #22
JT-AR-MG42

Oregon carry

Where I live, it is only really hot for about two weeks a year. Most of the rest of the year would be described as 'two shirt' weather. Just the way I like it.

So I just tuck a Cobra with a Tyler into my front waistband between the shirts. Reloads in ammo wallet. If sitting for long periods, I just reach in and pull the pistol up and let it lay between the two. When I stand up to go, I just make a little pretense of straightening the shirt and re-tuck it in.

On the really hot days, I just go with my back up gun, an absolutely reliable .25 TPH with wound out 35gr. XTP reloads in the right front pocket and one spare mag in the same wallet as the .38 ammo.

Robbery scenario - I carry my cash and two double eagles ( bail money) in my left front pocket. After handing them my empty wallet and that, I figure they'll be looking at the coins (gold always gets your attention) while I give them the right front pocket. Luckily untested so far!

Works for me. JT
Old July 24, 2010, 07:04 PM   #23
Nnobby45

Quote:
I am having a hard time finding the right pistol and way to carry. I live in florida where it is hot almost all the time. I wear shorts and t-shirts almost everywhere I go.
Only two choices. Modify your carryng method to fit your dress. That limits you.

Or, modify your dress to accomodate your carry methods. I solved the problem, in hot weather, by wearing a light, short sleeved vest made by Bratwear. Has an inside pocket for a J-frame (a spare). It has felt at the shoulders, and is semi-dressy. I carry ISP at 4 o'clock. As temp's change, so does what I cover it with. All the way up to winter parka, with J frame in pocket when I'm bundled up and access to Sig Sauer is restricted.

Other shirts work, also. I like Cabela's Safari type shirts, short and long sleeved. Their Safari Jacket has side pockets, as well.

It's exceeded 100 degrees here in Reno a few times in the last couple weeks. My preference works fine.

Yes, I know. Lots of fellas who dress like you do who won't give that up. You'll need a small gun. I sometimes carry a J-frame or LCR in pants pocket for BUG (left pocket), but if it were my primary, it would be in right pants pocket in pocket holster.
Old July 24, 2010, 08:55 PM   #24
Gary L. Griffiths

Depends.

I carry my Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro in an OWB holster at 4 O'clock. Have to wear a jacket or concealment vest over it, though.

I carry my Kel-Tec PF-9 in an IWB tuckable holster at 10 O'clock. It'll just disappear even under a knit T-shirt.

My "always" gun is a Ruger LCP carried in my right rear pocket, butt out.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 24, 2010, 09:48 PM   #25
Rastus

I have Don Hume IWB holsters for all my carry weapons.

The Hume holsters are not top-of-the-line leather, but they are quite good and offer good value for the dollar. Even a true pocket pistol I prefer IWB (when possible) rather than in a pocket. Speaking only for myself, carrying IWB makes for a faster presentation.