The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Skans

Stoeger Condor...

I already have a nice O/U 12 gauge. But, I don't always want to take it out to shoot clays when something on the lower end of the spectrum would do fine. Or, sometimes I want an O/U to lend out to friends/relatives when I take them shooting.

I don't want an auto, or a pump - it's got to be an O/U. I intend to cut and shape the stock to the exact length as my other O/U (which has been fitted for me).

So, I've been looking at the Stoeger Condor. It's a little bit heavy, but I think once I size the stock, it will be adequate. Basically, what I want to know is what, if anything, is prone to breaking on these guns. I'm not really looking for what people think will break based on what they've read, but what other's have observed. I've heard mixed reviews about this gun. Some good, some not so good, but no major failures that weren't easily fixed.

I'm not looking for a gun that will survive 20,000 shots with no minor parts breakage. But, it should be serviceable up to and possibly even after 20,000 rounds. Any thoughts on the Stoeger Condor?
Old September 28, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
BigJimP

You probably already know they're owned by Benelli. The Stoegers I've see were all pretty light "field" guns / under 7 1/2 lbs in 12ga so I'm not sure why you think they're heavy.

At my club, on maybe 20% of them, I've seen guys have spring / trigger problems causing the guns to double - ribs have come loose - stuff like that. All of which can be fixed relatively cheaply or under warranty.

But the biggest problem I've seen on these guns / and a lot of the less expensive O/U's - is the top barrel and the bottom barrel's Point of Impact can be significantly different. We took one new shooter to the pattern board / found his top barrel was about 6" high and 3" off center on his Stoeger Condor at 30 yards. I don't know what their expectations for manufacturing are - and I suppose up to a 2" divergence might be ok on an inexpensive gun ......but 6" and off line was bad.

I see other guys at the club - they bought them as an extra gun / kids gun, etc - and they seem happy with them and they might put 2 or 3 boxes a month thru them. Hoping to get 20,000 shells trouble free thru a Condor I think is a stretch .... but in general, anytime you look at these less expensive O/U's its kind of a crap shoot - you might get a good one / you might not ......and there is just no way to tell about these problems when they're new in the box.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:37 PM   #3
rantingredneck

My father in law has one and I've run maybe 200 rounds through it in the last few years. Just random use in a dove field as something different. Never had a problem until last year when it doubled on me. He's in denial that anything is wrong with his gun.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 28, 2009, 04:48 PM   #4
oneounceload

While Stoeger is one of the Beretta family, IIRC, their O/U's are made in Turkey. IF that is correct, there seems to be a LOT of concern on quality issues; the fit and finish appear to be nice, but the mechanicals are where the concerns are arising. As mentioned, firing pins and springs seem to be their weakest point. If it is to be the loaner/once-in-a-while use gun, it might not be an issue. Heavier use might need something different.

Have you considered a used O/U in the same price range?
Old September 28, 2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Skans

Quote:
Have you considered a used O/U in the same price range?
I have and still am. But, I can't seem to find any used 12 gauge O/U's for $360. I might wait until the next gun show in my area and see what I can find. Only problem is the last time I checked, there were hardly any O/U's at the gun show I attended.

Gander Mtn. has the Stoger Condor for $360. It "almost" fits me - the stock is going to have to be cut down some, something that I might attempt on one of these guns. If it's a loaner, it's not going to fit whoever is borrowing it anyway, so I might as well size it for me. The barrel length is fine. It does seem a little heavy, maybe it's just not balanced.

One barrel that has a significantly different point of impact than the other is a real problem - that just amounts to a total waste of money. I'd have to check to see if that's covered by warranty and ask more about that.

I really want something in the $300 range, even if it's used and beat up, so long as it functions and can be fitted to me. If I can't find that, then I'm just going to can the idea. This isn't a gun that I need - basically just an extra knock-around.
Old September 28, 2009, 05:27 PM   #6
oneounceload

Yep, 360 would be mighty hard to beat for even an old SKB, Browning or Beretta......if you get one, check that barrel regulation
Old September 28, 2009, 05:56 PM   #7
BigJimP

The price on these guns is attractive ...but I don't know what Stoeger will do on a warranty or how long it would take for them to get a gun back to you. I doubt they would just replace the gun for you / but they might fit a new set of barrels on the receiver .....and then of course you'd have to hope the new one was better than the other one ... Most retail stores of course / will only ship it back for you for warranty - they aren't going to give you another gun usually.

A used Beretta or Browning in my area are still $750 - $800 or so on a fixed choke gun / and closer to $1,000 on a gun that has screw in chokes - so a used gun doesn't fit your criteria very well - unless you could find a Ruger or an SKB used maybe.

Easy for me to say - but its why I've kept the old Browning Lightning that I bought new in 1988. I use it as a loaner or a training gun ... / I don't want it beat up / but if someone were to drop it I wouldn't cry myself to sleep either vs one of my more expensive guns ...
Old September 29, 2009, 06:36 PM   #8
ebutler462

The O/Us are made for Benelli under contract by the E.R.Armentino Company in Brazil. They are not made for heavy duty use but do well for the average hunter/shooter.
Old September 29, 2009, 06:58 PM   #9
dalecooper51

I realize this isnt a 12ga gun, but a friend of mine picked up a .410 condor to shoot skeet with after his shoulder surgery. He hasn't had any problems with it besides from the fact that the barrel regulation is off. The top barrel shoots to point of aim, but the lower barrel was about a foot low at 20 yards. He wanted to make sure that it just wasn't him and I had the same results that he did on the patterning board.

It should work for your purpose, but honestly I would save a few more dollars and look for a used skb 500, miroku, etc at around $500.
Old September 30, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
BigJimP

A foot low at 20 yards with a .410 ( now that is a handicap ...)...bad workmanship...and a gun that is a waste of money, in my opinion..
Old October 1, 2009, 04:03 PM   #11
schutzen

Stoger Condor

My son and I both have Stoger Condor's for the very reason you sited. We did not want to take an expensive O/U to the dove field or the duck blind. We also shoot a limited amount of trap with them. We both bought the Condor Competition because we wanted the 30" barrels. I have a 20 ga and my son has a 12 ga, both have performed flawlessly for 2 years (mine) and 3 years for the son's. In that time, I have run about 2K of rounds through mine and my son has run over 4k through his. They are both pretty good guns for the money. Ours were $499 out the door, taxes included.

PS Both of our guns, both barrels hit point of aim on pattern boards (30 yards). Just out of curosity, I am goning to pattern mine at 20,40, and 50 yards to see if there is any spread.
Old October 1, 2009, 04:11 PM   #12
BigJimP

Don't bother patterning them at different yardage - if they hit the POI the same at 30 yards / they'll be the same at 20 yards, etc ...
Old October 5, 2009, 10:32 AM   #13
Skans

I was at Gander Mtn. this weekend tuning my bow and practicing a little archery in their range. I went over to look at the Stoeger Condor 12 O/U again. This time they happened to have one (in the new rack) that had visible rust on the receiver and the barrels. This wasn't just a speck of rust either, it looked like the gun had been in the rain and not dried/oiled after. There was nothing functionally wrong with the gun.

I was thinking about asking the store manager to sell it to me for 1/2 off due to the rust. I decided not to, though. The rust doesn't bother me too much, but I doubt anyone is going to buy that shotgun - should I have made the offer?
Old October 5, 2009, 11:40 AM   #14
BigJimP

No, I wouldn't ..... even though its probably cosmetic..

What most of us have been trying to help you understand is, its not about the cosmetics - its whether the gun is mechanically going to function or not ...