The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2008, 08:46 PM   #1
familywgn

Would like to shoot BP, but where to start?

While at my local Sportman's Warehouse today I was looking at the Cap & Ball revolvers and would like to get one, but I have no experience in this field.

What would be the best starting point for me?

I have smokeless revolvers and rifles, so I am not new to firearms, just the blackpowder.

Thanks, and I will continue to read the post here to get a better understanding.
Beretta Neos .22
Old February 16, 2008, 09:30 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Nowadays it depends on if you want to shoot Traditional/Historical or Modern.
My first BP gun was an M1858 Remington, as a reenactor I only use historically correct reproductions. Though I did win a turkey at a turkey shoot using a modern in line rifle. If possible get in touch with other shooters, either at public ranges or clubs, see if you can try various BP firearms, see what you like. Also read all you can.
Old February 16, 2008, 09:39 PM   #3
dalegribble

i am new at this also but i have an 1851 navy and an 1858 army. so far i have used the pellets instead of the loose powder just to get started. drop in the pellet, then a wonder wad and then the ball. i tried using grease over the ball but didn't like it, very messy and i don't think it is necessery. cleaning is a little more difficult, some just use soap and water, there are black powder cleaning solutions available also. as for what gun to get, buy whatever you like. i started with the 1851 navey, great balance, nice action. the 1858 army is heavier, stiffer action, not as balanced but stronger frame and you can switch cylinders easily. i want an 1860 army very much. buy a steel frame gun, pass on the brass it's supposed to be weaker.

great fun, bet ya can't buy just one
Old February 16, 2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Hawg

Stick with loose powder instead of pellets. It's more reliable and much cheaper plus you can tailor loads to what the gun likes. Wads are neater to use but are kinda expensive also. Crisco works as an over ball lube and it's cheap.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:21 PM   #5
mykeal

So you want a cap and ball revolver?

At the top of this forum is a sticky thread entitled, "So you want a cap and ball revolver? Pt. 2". Read this thread thoroughly.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6
trent/OH

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe we can connect you to somebody close by who already is a BP revolver shooter.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:09 PM   #7
familywgn

Thanks for all the replies. I just finished reading the stickey at the top of the forum (both parts). That info was awesome. I think that I am going to start off with a 1851 Navy, as it has that classic style without the backstrap.

I have read not to get a brass frame so steel it is, but who make a good affordable steel frame?

Thanks
Beretta Neos .22

Last edited by familywgn; February 16, 2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: I forgot to ask for suggestions on good reliable makers
Old February 17, 2008, 12:17 AM   #8
arcticap

Pietta is a little cheaper than Uberti and many tout that they are just as good if not better.

Buy from Cabela's because of their return policy and right now they have flat rate shipping of $4.95 on orders of $100+ until 2/22.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...av*CabelasLogo
Old February 17, 2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Hawg

Pietta is very good. Cabela's had the 58 Remington on sale in their catalog for 169.00 but don't know if they still are.
Old February 18, 2008, 12:57 AM   #10
berkmberk1

Pietta 1851 Navy, .44 cal

The Possible Shop (same web address) has Pietta 1851 Navies fir $165. Mine ran right at $177 with postage to my door and it only took 2.5 days to get! Hope to try it out tomorrow if my girlfriend's horse stabilizes. He's started to founder. There are a few things more important than shooting.........only a few.