The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2000, 09:49 PM   #1
Opihi

Hello Everyone,

I just picked up a Dillon 550B and am now looking to purchase a set of dies (.40 and .45acp). The Dillon brand was quite a bit more expensive than others. Are they worth it?

Are there any disadvantages or trade-offs in using RCBS or Lee dies with the 550B?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old July 17, 2000, 10:01 PM   #2
M16

I prefer the Dillon dies in a progressive since they are designed for that purpose. You can use the other brands but since you are going first class why not go the distance. It's only money.
Old July 17, 2000, 10:08 PM   #3
MADISON

I have used RCBS, LYMAN and HORNADY dies.
I prefer Hornady.
RCBS has a weak point--The decapping stem.
The last Lyman dies I bought had a FLOATING DECAPING PIN(s)
Old July 17, 2000, 10:11 PM   #4
Jack Straw

If you use Lee dies you will either have to put the locking nut on the underside of the toolhead or turn the lock nut over(rubber O-ring side up) to get it to work on the top of the toolhead. I do this with no problems.

If you will be using cast bullets at all I would definitely get the Dillon dies. Their seating and crimping dies have clips that allow you to disassemble and clean the dies and then return them to use without having to readjust the dies. A very nice convenience.

Jack
Old July 18, 2000, 08:02 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

Get the Dillon dies, and add a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die....

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old July 18, 2000, 08:50 AM   #6
Bullwinkle

Ditto the Lee factory crimp dies. The crimp die also has a carbide sizing ring set low enough to size some of the case that the dillon sizer misses.
Old July 18, 2000, 08:59 AM   #7
Opihi

Thanks guys.

I'm definitely sold on the Lee crimp die. Seen lots of positive feedback from numerous TFL members.

That leads to one specific question. Can I use an RCBS Carbide set with the Lee factory crimp in a 550b with only 4 stations? I'm very new, so please excuse the basic question.

My understanding is that I'll be using the RCBS in station One, the Dillon Powder die in station two, the RCBS seater/crimper in station three, and the Lee in station four. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Old July 19, 2000, 09:05 AM   #8
Bullwinkle

Standard Dillon configuration is

Station 1 - Decaping/Sizing Die
Station 2 - Powder Die
Station 3 - Seating Die
Station 4 - Crimping Die

The Dillon dies are very nice and designed for use on progressive presses, and are fully supported by Dillon. I would use the Dillon dies unless you have a specific specific reason for going with something else (i.e. the Factory Crimp Die which is a better mouse trap). The RCBS dies are probably not a better mouse trap. The Seater/crimper you mentioned will be difficult to adjust and just double up (or work against) the work the Factory Crimp die does. Seperating the seating and crimping stages is a good thing.

The difference in cost between the die sets should be irrelevent given the savings on ammo.
Old July 20, 2000, 10:26 AM   #9
johnnybravo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Opihi:

My understanding is that I'll be using the RCBS in station One, the Dillon Powder die in station two, the RCBS seater/crimper in station three, and the Lee in station four. Is this correct?

Thanks.
[/quote]

That's just the set up I have in my 550B, for 45 acp. The seater/crimp die in station 3 is set for seat only.

------------------
johnnyb
A slow hit beats a fast miss.
Old July 20, 2000, 01:35 PM   #10
Opihi

Thanks Johnny. It took a while, but I think I finally figured it out. Hopefully this will be the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the help.