The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2000, 09:47 AM   #1
faiello5

I am thinking about reloading some LSWC 200g .45 bullets but I want to avoid leading the barrel. I have heard the the Precision Bullets will not lead the barrel, even if loaded moderately hotly. Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with these bullets?

Regards,
Frank

Old July 1, 2000, 11:04 AM   #2
Monkeyleg

I tried out some 230 gr RN's from Precision Bullets. Accuracy was good, but they still left some lead in the barrel. When I get a chance, I want to do a serious side-by-side comparison of the best loads of Precision Bullets, LaserCast bullets, and the plain-jane lead bullets from my local shop.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old July 2, 2000, 08:43 AM   #3
tstr

I tried some 225 grain flat points in my .45 and I didn't have any problem at all with leading. I did shoot the loads pretty light.
Old July 2, 2000, 12:23 PM   #4
Dr_Johnson

Another plus regarding these bullets is that they are much less messy to work with. The coating they have is totally dry and so you have zero fouling of your reloading dies. One thing you need to be careful about is that you are bell your brass well. The coating is very thin and can be scrapped off if the brass is not properly belled.

Basicly, I veiw these bullets as a poor man's jacketed. You shouldn't load them like jacketed, but as far as barrel leading that are almost as good as jacketed.