The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 1998, 11:51 PM   #1
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

I have heard from more then a few that the small of the back (SOB) carry is potentially very risky. The risk reportedly comes from carrying any hard solid object over the spine. If the person using such a carry falls back and lands on the item sever injury to the spine is possible. It was further reported that several LEO’s each year suffer such injuries (some even paralysis). Dose anyone have first hand knowledge confirming these reports? Anyone using a SOB carry? I have made several such rigs at customer requests, I would like to be better informed so as to provide the best info to my customers and the forum members.

Old December 17, 1998, 12:00 AM   #2
Rob Pincus

I don't know about any of those injuries first hadn, nor have heard very many reports, beyond the types of mentions that you just made.
I used to rely more on SOB carry than I have for the past couple of years. I know much prefer IWB holsters. I stil have a few SOB holsters around, but don't use them more for speed of presentation reasons than concerns about injuries.
One must be especially careful about painting one's self or innocents when presenting quickly from any behind the back carry.

I can think of few on duty LEO situations where it would really be a great choice for carry, btw.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 18, 1998, 12:21 AM   #3
ShadedDude

I carry SOB, I ave two sob holsters, and one strongside holster for my primary carry gun. I have heard of the risk, dont know of any first hand, but hey...life is a risk.

As far as presentation speed...it is definatly slower than strong side, but on ME it is much easier to conceal sob than on the side

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 18, 1998, 10:17 PM   #4
GLV

Injury at the risk of a fall is just one of the problems with SOBs. I can relieve you of your gun in a New York second -- and you can do little to defend the gun because of the position. Last, some ignorant people try to left handed holsters for MOB -- and now point the gun at their hip on the draw -- anyone for hip replacement? As a dealer, I refused to sell them. GLV
Old December 19, 1998, 10:40 PM   #5
bald1

Rob,

Absolutely! I'm a fan of leather made by Andrews and Kramer. Andrews (Florida) discountinued his excellent SOB design after being sued by a Miami undercover cop who fell on his ass and became paralyzed...yup, he was wearing an Andrews SOB.

I'm fond of the old mexican carry as well as inverted SOB. I prefer slide up which most folks will tell you is dangerous because a sloppy draw will aim the barrel not at the ground but at your side as you move to engagement position. The only rig I ever liked for this was an Andrews which I lost during a move. Now its IWB strong side only for holsters for me although I will admit to going "mexican" every now and then.

-=[Bob]=-
Old December 20, 1998, 03:21 AM   #6
Rob Pincus

Bald & GLV,

The presentation techniques for MOB or SOB are different, but both can be done safely. As I mentioned in my first post here, the shooter must be especially careful druing the presentation to not "paint" themselves or bystanders.
While the original MOBers may have been innovative (not necessarily ignorant..) people with left handed holsters, many companies have offered true MOB holsters, including Galco, which have the "proper" tilt for presentation from that position.
Personally, I think MOB might be the MOST uncomfortable way to carry a gun, though I do prefer my IWB holsters to sit further back the normal sometimes, especially when I'll be standing for an extended period.

------------------
-Essayons
Old December 20, 1998, 05:42 PM   #7
Hilton

Ouch. I try very hard to keep things off my spine. Sitting long hours in a car or worse, falling onto or bumping into the holstered weapon during a scuffle will make for severe discomfort at the least and severe injury at the worst. Whenever I see people wearing cuffs or other implements over their spine, I go bump them there and ask them if it felt good. Usually the person has the pouch moved the next time I see them.
Old December 21, 1998, 12:17 AM   #8
ShadedDude

As far as being able to relive me of my gun...isnt that why its "concealed"?
So no one knows I have it?

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 24, 1998, 03:44 PM   #9
Mark THG

A concealed gun is just that, CONCEALED. If it's not concealed you can have it taken away. I do make an SOB holster (though I do acknowledge the potential danger) For some people it just seems to work well. It all boils down to preferance as to what someone carry's and how. No one single holster can fit every need or situation. It's a matter of trial and error.
[gratuitous advertisement deleted by Staff]

Mark THG

[This message has been edited by Staff (edited 12-26-98).]
Old December 24, 1998, 10:35 PM   #10
ShadedDude

And let me tell you, Mark makes VERY nice holsters!

One of my two SOB holsters was made by him for me, the other I made myself out of Conceal X with a fancy j-hook deal.
If you need a holster I highly recomend MD.
I will defintaly buy my next leather holster from him.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.