The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2005, 12:38 AM   #1
fatshot

Model 12 magazine plug removal

Can anyone tell me how to go about removing the magazine plug from my Winchester mod.12 12ga? It doesn't look too hard, but I don't want to jump into it and screw it up. Or do I have to take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old June 29, 2005, 02:53 AM   #2
ccamge55

mod 12 plug removal

All you have to do is remove the 2 screws on the end of the mag tube. Then pull out the pin, mine has to be pulled out through the top due to the catch spring. Then pull off the cap, and the spring and the plug will slide out. Its not hard to do at all, definitly not something you have to take to the gunsmith. By the way I love my model 12, best shotgun Ive ever fired.

Have fun shooting
Zach
Old June 29, 2005, 09:24 AM   #3
fatshot

Thanks for the tip, Zach. I did it this morning. I found that I had to depress the little flat retaining spring inside the pin before the pin would pull out. Other than punching a hole in my finger with a screwdriver while doing that, everything went fine.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old June 29, 2005, 11:51 AM   #4
ccamge55

Glad I could help, Its great to see there are other people who enjoy shooting this great shotgun. Have fun shooting.

Zach