The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 14, 2002, 11:13 AM   #1
Kestrel

Who Makes Wilson-Combat Knives?

Does anyone know who makes them? (This is assuming they are not made in-house.)

Thanks,
Steve
Old January 14, 2002, 11:42 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I don't know. But I wouldnt buy one.
Looks like a Kasper design.
Old January 14, 2002, 12:51 PM   #3
Nifer

They are made by Bill Wilson's son Ryan. They are extremely well made knives. Ryan has a collaboration going with Darrel Ralph right now on some very nice frame lock folders. I know the dealer who is getting first shot at these knives, and can get any Wilson you want. Give me a shout at [email protected] if you need some more info or have any questions I can help with.

JR
Old January 14, 2002, 01:37 PM   #4
Nifer

This is my first attempt at attatching a picture, so bear with me. This is one of the new framelock folders Ryan Wilson is putting out with Darrel Ralph. I have some more pics of a couple of different variations (inlays in the frame) if anyone would like to see them, just e-mail me.

JR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ddrwilson3.jpg (33.6 KB, 167 views)
Old January 14, 2002, 01:54 PM   #5
ahenry

I’m not personally familiar with Wilson Knives, but they seem like they are pretty decent. I see that all but one are made with D2 steel, which is pretty good stuff. D2 is often used in dies and other tools, very hard. If I can recall my steels, it isn’t as “stainless” as say 440C so if you are interested in getting something that has strong anti-rust characteristics you might not want D2. From what I can tell it seems like the Wilson knives are good but they sure seem to have a steep price tag for what you get. You can get something like a Sebenza, or Strider for a little more than Wilson, or go with a Busse for about the same price tag. Of course preference is what makes the world go ‘round so this is of course just my preference. YMMV.
Old January 14, 2002, 02:31 PM   #6
Long Path

Moving this thread to the Alternative Force/Close Quarters Combat forum.

L.P.
Old January 14, 2002, 04:06 PM   #7
Coronach

D2 is indeed tool steel. It is hard, but not especially brittle (Good Things, tm). It will, however, rust easily, so make sure that you get a blade with a good rust-resistant coating AND make sure you keep the edge of the blade (where sharpening removes the coating) is well oiled.

I have a Benchmade AFCK that has Benchmade's patented easy-off black coating ( ). An otherwise nice knife has been transformed into a safe queen by the fact that using the blade causes the black stuff to come off. Cosmetic, to be sure, but my talonite knife receives more use because of this.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

Last edited by Coronach; January 14, 2002 at 09:44 PM.
Old January 14, 2002, 04:58 PM   #8
Nifer

D2 is a carbon steel, but is known as a semi-stainless as it's characteristics very cloesely resemble stainless. With Ryan working with Darrel Ralph, these folders may be crucible steel's D2-E. The "E" stand for enhanced, which is enhanced stain resistance. The chromium content is higher then normal d2, and Darrel says it out preforms D2 as well. He and Rob Simonich both speak very highly of the D2-E.
D2 will rust, but not nearly as easy as other high carbon steels like 52100, 5160, and 1084. It is a very good balance of stain resistance and carbon steel edge holding ability. It is probably my current favorite steel for working knives, along with S90V. Although, S30V seems to be getting a huge push right now.

JR
Old January 14, 2002, 06:06 PM   #9
ahenry

Elements and their percentages in steel:
D2 = C 1.50%, Mn .40%, Si .40%, Cr 12.0%, Va .95%, Mo .90%
440C = C 1.00%, Mn .45%, Si .30%, Cr 17.0%, Mo .50%

IIRC chromium is the element that provides the “rust-preventive” qualities in steel (with carbon providing the hardness). I see that D2 has substantially less Chromium than typical “stainless steels” but not being much of a metallurgist I wouldn’t know just how rust-preventive 12% is compared to 17%. If you can tell us, how much Cr is in the D2-E? Is it closer to 17% or so? For what its worth, I consider D2 to be a great steel as well, since I prescribe to the “take care of your knives” theory of rust prevention.

BTW this info was from Admiral Steel. Different manufacturers will have slightly different percentages of the components in steel.