The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 29, 2019, 11:50 AM   #1
Cannonfuse

Bore and ball diameter

What I know about smoothbore muzzleloaders is that they usually use an undersized roundball that are loaded on top of a patch, to make it fit snugly in the bore. But, can a slightly oversized roundball, made of pure lead, be used instead without the patch?

What’s the advatange and disadvantage? Will the roundball deform in any considerable amount and therefore affect accuracy at long range? Will it build up more pressure than the patched undersized ball? If I for example has a bore diameter of exactly 10 mm and use a .395” roundball (10.033 mm), it should fit snugly but still not deform the ball that much?
Old October 29, 2019, 12:41 PM   #2
Pahoo

Interesting ???

Quote:
But, can a slightly oversized roundball, made of pure lead, be used instead without the patch?
You are going to get more than your shares of replies, on this one and in this case I ask why you would not want to use a patch???

Yes, you can shoot a smooth bore without a patch and in fact, very common, for many years and wars. The patch doesn't just add to a smother loading; it also acts as a seal and holds the ball, in place. A round ball is very forgiving and accuracy will be fair but seldom consistent. I have shot smooth-bore with and without but use of a patch, is the way to go. Sitting back and waiting on replies ……

Be Safe !!!
Old October 29, 2019, 01:37 PM   #3
Hawg

My two cents is if you get a round ball that loads easily you run the risk of it moving in the bore and becoming a barrel obstruction. A smidge too tight and you will have to beat it in. After you start to get some fouling buildup it will be even harder to load. Civil War soldiers ran into that when they used .58 minies in .577 Enfield rifles. The first few worked fine but there are countless mentions of soldiers ramming their ramrods against trees to get subsequent rounds loaded. A lubed patch is the way to go.
Old October 29, 2019, 03:01 PM   #4
Catman42

Hawg has good advice. also wipe between rounds and your troubles are over. why make troubles when you dont have to.
Old November 23, 2019, 04:18 AM   #5
caligula

Another couple of pennies: 1) In a smoothbore musket, the patch keeps the ball in place on top the load. 2) In a rifle, the patch needs to be tight enough to impart the rifling twist effect to the ball by friction. 3) An oversized ball in a musket will be an educational window into the many, many lead removal kits on today's market places. Good luck -
Old November 23, 2019, 09:23 AM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

There are reasons why a patched is purposed. It expands or compress's to bore size. Its lubed to ride the bores rifling or not and most of all it stops flame cutting of its soft projectile. I'm sure there are more reason too.
Smooth bore Muskets as I was told were a duel purposed weapon thus no rear sight. {Shot and ball capable.} As far as performance of a non-patched ball shot in a tool that requires patching? Distance_accuracy_energy delivery_will all suffer. No doubt the charge fired won't deliver its expected high pressures. But if wanting to try shooting a un-Patched ball tight to the bore. A light charging will either push the ball out or at least 1/2 ways thru.

Tags
muzzlleloading , oversized , patch , roundball , undersized