The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2020, 05:05 PM   #1
LoBeau

Beretta 92s slide lock, guide rod info

Hi
I recently bought an Italian surplus 92s. When I tried to field strip it the slide lock was too hard to move with my hand. I ended up having to place a brass drift against the lever and tap it with a small hammer to release it.
The reason for it being so difficult was that the guide rod had a small pin protruding approx 1/16 in. from the face that contacts the slide lock and this was catching on the leading edge of the cam. I used a die grinder to make a relief groove on the edge of the slide lock which solved the rotation problem.
Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so what other solutions have you come up with? What is the purpose of the pin in the mating face of the guide rod?
Old February 9, 2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Whirlwind06

Do you mean parts 445 and 446 on the parts diagram?

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/beretta-m9-exploded-view/

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2020, 06:03 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't understand what you are describing. There is no part called the slide lock. I think you are talking about the disassembly lever (or disssembly latch or dismounting latch) which should turn very easily once the unlocking button (dismounting latch release button) has been depressed.

You can download a manual for the 92 Series here:

https://www.beretta.com/assets/12/29...ser_Manual.pdf

Here are field stripping instructions specifically for the 92S.

http://www.berettaweb.com/92%20Succe...S%20%2092S.htm

The 92 pistols field strip very easily. In fact, they come apart so easily that at one time there was some concern that they could be field stripped by an opponent in a fight. As a result Beretta slightly modified the disassembly lever/dismounting latch.

To directly answer your question, I have never heard of anyone having to alter a part on a Beretta 92 in order to make field stripping easier, nor of anyone requiring a punch or any tools to field strip a Beretta 92, nor of anyone complaining that the field stripping procedure was hard to carry out.

--------------------------------
Edited to add more information after research.

I've done some research and while the 92FS doesn't have a little "pin"/nubbin on the end of the recoil spring guide, the 92S does--or at least some of them do. I also found one picture of a 92S disassembly lever showing a cutout for the pin. Of course, the 92FS disassembly latch doesn't have the cutout since the 92FS recoil spring guide is just flat on the end.

I'm guessing that your 92S has the correct recoil spring guide with the nubbin but has a 92FS disassembly latch in it.

Last edited by JohnKSa; February 9, 2020 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Additional information included.
Old February 10, 2020, 07:48 AM   #4
moviemaker123

Try a tiny amount of heat on the lever and then oil it. Too much heat will hurt, just enough heat to pull the oil in.