The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Deltadart

Marlin 336C w/Williams 5D Sight

I decided to rebuild an 1967 Marlin 336 RC .30-30 that apparently had a "used" background. No rust, great bore, but I have canoe paddles in better shape than the wood, metal was good as well. So after having the gun high polished, blued, and custom gorgeous wood in the long pistol grip, I have a problem. The Williams 5D Marlin sight is adjusted to minimum height, however the gun still shoots about 8 inches high at 100 yds. Has anyone added this type of sight to their Marlin and how did you change the front sight to lower the bullet impact. Also is there a higher hood available if I must put on a taller front sight. I have been told the Lyman 17A would do this, but that might look a little strange.
Old January 3, 2020, 12:19 AM   #2
Scorch

The factory front sight is a #31 IIRC that sits in a dovetail in the front sight base. Rough estimate, you need a #37. Have a higher sight blade installed by someone who has the proper sight pusher (if you try a hammer and punch you will likely shear the sight base screw off and then have to replace that too). There are online formulas for calculating the required height of the front sight, try Brownells or Midway.
Old January 3, 2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Deltadart

Thank you Scorch.
That is very valuable information and advise. I probably would have damaged the mounting screws by trying the punch / hammer method. I have the sight calculation formula and it will not take much of an increase in height. Do you know if there are any hoods that are a little higher than the factory supplied one on that rifle. I would like very much to keep the original appearance as possible.
Thank you
Paul
Old January 13, 2020, 03:01 AM   #4
Scorch

You should still be able Tu use the factory sight hood.
Old January 16, 2020, 06:51 PM   #5
Deltadart

Hi Scorch
I just received the replacement sight from Marbles. Since this is a ramp, I needed a sight pusher to remove and replace the sight so I ordered a Williams sight pusher but have not gotten that yet. Just looking at it all, you might be right about leaving the hood on the ramp. I also found a Sako hood that may fit if the original does not work. I know most don't like the hood, but I am used to it so I would like to keep it up there if possible.
Thanks
Paul
Old January 18, 2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Scorch

YW