The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 30, 2015, 03:22 PM   #1
WebHead24-7

Rear Waist Carry

Hey guys, I'm new here. Been looking around for about a week now, searching different keywords and reading various posts. I've definitely learned a lot, the acronyms took a while lol. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anything on CC'ing on your back, as in a rear waistband. I don't know if they make specific ones or if I just use an IWB and put it in the back. I am looking at a Beretta M9A1 or an M92A1. I've seen a lot of people say that's it's a tad large to hide but it's what I like to shoot so I wanna make it work. Any help or suggestions, about the guns, holsters, ways to carry even brands or sites to look at gear, would be greatly appreciated. Every one here seems really nice and I'm glad I chose this forum over a few others! Look forward to the help

Oh! And I'm in NYS, so mag size between the two guns isn't a factor, unfortunately...
Old March 30, 2015, 03:29 PM   #2
BarryLee

Galco Holsters has a decent reputation and they make small of the back holsters.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/sob-..._8_4_1283.html
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 30, 2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Whirlwind06

Look for small of the back carry. You should be able to use most IWB but I think you have to switch carry sides. So if you are going to draw with you right hand a get a left handed IWB holster.

I have not found that to be a comfortable method to carry but to each their own.
Old March 30, 2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Marty8613

Called SOB (Small Of Back).
Just over a year ago, when I started carrying, I started SOB. It was best for not having to get new pants or anything (like I really needed those).

I have since gotten away from SOB, and I haven't needed new clothes, except for longer shirts and better belts.

I have considered starting a thread about "What I thought I needed" vs "What I know now".

I suggest having SOB holsters, but caution you, you will very likely move on to better things. It has taken the whole year to really figure out what I really wanted and needed.

Honestly the best SOB holster I have is a simple nylon Blackhawk, meant for short runs like taking out the trash or something. I currently carry somewhere between 2:00 and 4:00, depending on which pants and which gun. Some pants have belt loops in different spots, and I have a preference for wide two clip IWB holsters over single clips ones. I do have single clip holsters, but none of them are meant for all day carry to me.

Prepare yourself to gather a rather large holster collection.
Old March 30, 2015, 03:47 PM   #5
TunnelRat

My only caution with small of the back carry is that if you're planning on carrying up against your spine, were you to suffer a fall (not even related to a gunfight) you can cause serious injury to yourself.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 30, 2015, 03:52 PM   #6
WebHead24-7

Ah small of back. I searched everything but that lol. See, g think it'll be easiest to hide and won't be digging into my hip or gut lol. I know it'll be a pain to sit, but I want this one with walking in mind. I don't wanna have to get a TON of holsters, hoping to stick to 3 max, the Sob, an IWB just cause I probably should, and like a chest/shoulder for when it's cold and I can wear a jacket.

I'd wear it a little lower maybe. More the rear hip than lower spine. I'd love to buy all different types, but cash is low and guns seem to run 200 to 400 more here in NY
Old March 30, 2015, 04:39 PM   #7
Skadoosh

SOB carry....not the best method. There was a TFL thread many many years ago here.
Old March 30, 2015, 06:10 PM   #8
WebHead24-7

Thanks that was a pretty interesting thread. I'm not opposed to carrying somewhere else, I Just don't think I could hide it comfortably on the side. I think I'm gonna need to just head to a store and see if I can try a few on.
Old March 30, 2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebHead24-7 View Post
Thanks that was a pretty interesting thread. I'm not opposed to carrying somewhere else, I Just don't think I could hide it comfortably on the side. I think I'm gonna need to just head to a store and see if I can try a few on.
What is your height and weight? I am 5'7" 205# and wear IWB with shorts and t-shirt pretty much year round, occasionally with my PX4 Full size and extended magazine. I have no problems with comfort or concealability, you just have to dress around the firearm.

White t-shirt worn for reference, as black or dark blue do much better hiding distinct shapes....

Old March 30, 2015, 06:53 PM   #10
Marty8613

I can carry a full sized Witness .45 appendix way better than SOB, and it is bigger than that Beretta. Look at Aliengear for the widest two clip holster. You'll need width in a holster if you are going to carry heavy like that. Also the can't of the holster is important carrying up front.
Old March 30, 2015, 07:27 PM   #11
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide971 View Post
What is your height and weight? I am 5'7" 205# and wear IWB with shorts and t-shirt pretty much year round, occasionally with my PX4 Full size and extended magazine. I have no problems with comfort or concealability, you just have to dress around the firearm.

White t-shirt worn for reference, as black or dark blue do much better hiding distinct shapes....

Cyanide. Serious here. Can you post up a video or you crouching and bending over? As you know, we do more in life than standing around.
Old March 30, 2015, 07:31 PM   #12
jimbob86

Aside from the "You could hurt your back if you fall on your gun." thing, SoB Carry is slower than Methuselah with a cold front passing through, as far as draw speed ...... add that to the fact that you almost have to chicken-wing yourself to get a grip, and lifting your shirt so your strong hand can get to it almost requires the weak hand back there, too..... if your first move when the balloon goes up is to put your hands behind your back, then I believe you have a bad plan ...... YMMV.
Old March 30, 2015, 07:36 PM   #13
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomooboo View Post
Cyanide. Serious here. Can you post up a video or you crouching and bending over? As you know, we do more in life than standing around.
I'm being serious with my response; I never bend at the waist; if I need to get something at ground level, I either squat down or I take a knee. Not trying to be a smartelec (sic), the only time I bend at the waist is when I am stretching or doing stiff leg deadlifts. Just being honest!
Old March 30, 2015, 07:41 PM   #14
jimbob86

"Life is short, so stop to smell the flowers ..... but don't bend over to do it......"

I, too have gotten into the habit of not bending over- I take a knee if I need to do something at shoe level (which is a lot-I'm a wood floor guy!).
Old March 30, 2015, 08:21 PM   #15
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob86 View Post
Aside from the "You could hurt your back if you fall on your gun." thing, SoB Carry is slower than Methuselah with a cold front passing through, as far as draw speed ...... add that to the fact that you almost have to chicken-wing yourself to get a grip, and lifting your shirt so your strong hand can get to it almost requires the weak hand back there, too..... if your first move when the balloon goes up is to put your hands behind your back, then I believe you have a bad plan ...... YMMV.
This is a argumentative point but i dont see the need for fast draws like a duel. I doubt you need to pull it as fast as that.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide971 View Post
I'm being serious with my response; I never bend at the waist; if I need to get something at ground level, I either squat down or I take a knee. Not trying to be a smartelec (sic), the only time I bend at the waist is when I am stretching or doing stiff leg deadlifts. Just being honest!
When i cced i did that. But my shirt even when walking would still get bunched up above my gun. Do you wear a size larger than your actual?
Old March 30, 2015, 08:22 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
This is a argumentative point but i dont see the need for fast draws like a duel. I doubt you need to pull it as fast as that.
I can pretty much assure you that if you feel your life is threatened being able to draw quicker rather than faster will qualify as a "need".
Old March 30, 2015, 08:22 PM   #18
WebHead24-7

Yea i feel like everything I walked, the shirt would pull at the height of my stride and be seen. Printed? I think that's what that means lol. I'd look silly in an xl size shirt. My girlfriend had the idea of a big and talk store. I could get longer shirts with out the bulk. A thought. It's just not easy on a budget. I'm afraid I'm gonna price out holsters and new clothes and it'll be so much that the guns the only place to try and save. Wish I could buy it outta state lol. I don't even know what holsters are gonna run of yet. That's why I was thinking SOB. I wouldn't need to change my wardrobe at all. I knew this wouldn't be cheap, or necessarily easy though.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:27 PM   #19
Cyanide971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomooboo View Post
When i cced i did that. But my shirt even when walking would still get bunched up above my gun. Do you wear a size larger than your actual?
Most of the time I wear XL and I have no problem with printing, even w/my Beretta, which is the largest handgun I have, but I also wear XXL sometimes and that really takes care of any potential worries and, without looking out of place on me.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:29 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
I'm afraid I'm gonna price out holsters and new clothes and it'll be so much that the guns the only place to try and save. Wish I could buy it outta state lol. I don't even know what holsters are gonna run of yet. That's why I was thinking SOB. I wouldn't need to change my wardrobe at all. I knew this wouldn't be cheap, or necessarily easy though.
Clothes are a lot cheaper than physical therapy for back trauma.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:35 PM   #21
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I can pretty much assure you that if you feel your life is threatened being able to draw quicker rather than faster will qualify as a "need".
I will offer the counterpoint of "adrenaline pumping fine motor skills hindered" better to draw slower to avoid mistakes. Seriously you think extra .5 seconds will cost a life in SD situations? Id say in maybe 00.1% of cases. Obviously i cant prove you wrong nor can you prove me wrong. Just my opinion. People arent often out to blatantly kill you like in war, you may have a gun pointed at you, but im pretty sure you wont be trying to fast draw on that.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:37 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Seriously you think extra .5 seconds will cost a life in SD situations? Id say in maybe 00.1% of cases. Obviously i cant prove you wrong nor can you prove me wrong. Just my opinion. People arent often out to blatantly kill you like in war, you may have a gun pointed at you, but im pretty sure you wont be trying to fast draw on that.
Take any defensive pistol course from an instructor and get back to me.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:45 PM   #23
Moomooboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
Take any defensive pistol course from an instructor and get back to me.
Go to war and get back to me
Old March 30, 2015, 08:46 PM   #24
TunnelRat

Quote:
Go to war and get back to me
War and self defense from concealed carry aren't the same thing.

I wouldn't take a defensive pistol course, or a series of them, and think I know about war. The reality is the percentage of US soldiers or marines using pistols is extremely small. The percentage that carry them concealed and do solitary missions is even smaller. Being on your own potentially attacked from multiple aggressors with no immediate support and threats coming from potentially any angle or at extremely close distances where you may not know the individuals intentions until they attack can be quite different than combat (although the counterinsurgency battlefield often has threats from any direction and suicide attacks at close ranges).

I thank you for your service, but I've trained next to ex-military and active police. Just being from the military is not carte blanche. Travis Haley has spoken on that and what he has learned after leaving the military.

Last edited by TunnelRat; April 1, 2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old March 30, 2015, 08:54 PM   #25
Moomooboo

Sorry OP wont comment further to derail this thread. Nothing good will come further in trying to explain this.

Tags
beretta , m92a1 , m9a1 , new york , nys