The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2020, 02:36 PM   #1
Carmady

Sig Sauer .380 ACP 100gr FMJ has changed.

I recently bought a box of this ammo, #E380B1, for the heavier bullets. They had flat nose of about .2" diameter. Soon after that I picked up another box.

Yesterday I shot 46 of the first box to see how it would function in my LCP, and it worked 100%. I decided to make this my carry ammo on account of the 100gr bullet.

Today I took the remaining four Sig rounds from yesterday and opened the second box to load some mags. Sounds simple enough, but the newer box has RN instead of FN bullets. I checked the boxes and they both have the same #E380B1 on them. I measured and weighed four of the FN and RN. Both boxes have pics of RN, btw.

The 100gr FN cartridges averaged 151.78gr.

The 100gr RN cartridges averaged 155.4gr, an average of 3.62gr more.

I'll disassemble one or two of each and weigh the components. I would expect two 100gr bullets to weigh about 100gr each no matter what their shape. I wouldn't be concerned if the bullet shape was all that changed, but an additional 3.62gr makes me curious. That would be a lot of extra powder in a .380. It could be a heavier charge of a different powder...don't know.

It'll be interesting to see how this checks out.
Old February 19, 2020, 02:46 PM   #2
Forte S+W

Round Nose bullets tends to weight a bit more because a lot of Flat-Nosed bullets have a shorter OAL.

That being said, if you're going to carry FMJ, then Flat-Nosed ammo is a better choice that Round-Nose because it's better for barrier penetration and tends to have a bit of a bigger would cavity. Also, look into Lehigh Defense/Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo and Polycase/Ruger ARX Inceptors.

Granted that SIG most likely isn't marketing this stuff as Self-Defense ammo, but since you mentioned carrying it for SD, I figured that it was worth mentioning.
Old February 19, 2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Carmady

Here are the numbers from one of each.

FN
.949" OAL
bullet weight: 99.9gr
bullet length: .437"
bullet jacket: FMJ including base
powder weight: 4.5gr
case & primer weight: 46.8gr
total component weight: 151.2gr

RN
.945" OAL
bullet weight: 99.4gr
bullet length: .464"
bullet jacket: NOT FMJ, jacket along base perimeter, but base mostly exposed
powder weight: 4.0gr
case & primer weight: 51.6gr
total component weight: 155gr

The powder looked the same. The .5gr difference in weight could be from some powder remaining in the hollow hammer puller.

Looks like the big weight difference was due to the case & primer weight.
Old February 20, 2020, 07:55 AM   #4
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Round Nose bullets tends to weight a bit more because a lot of Flat-Nosed bullets have a shorter OAL.

That being said, if you're going to carry FMJ, then Flat-Nosed ammo is a better choice that Round-Nose because it's better for barrier penetration and tends to have a bit of a bigger would cavity. Also, look into Lehigh Defense/Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo and Polycase/Ruger ARX Inceptors.

Granted that SIG most likely isn't marketing this stuff as Self-Defense ammo, but since you mentioned carrying it for SD, I figured that it was worth mentioning.
Also G9..same idea, essentially same $..I use it EDC in G26 and G42..

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/g9-bullets-review/

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 20, 2020, 08:46 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

FN does nothing with a metaplat that isn't in TOTAL the size of 9mm. It doesn't crush more without large size and rifle velocity.

Some 380 manufactures have put out hot rounds and downgraded them. I can't recall which ones I'm thinking of, but I recall during the P3AT's supremacy, a couple came out that were hot. A bit too hot for the P3AT.

I wonder if that's what happened. Also, Sig doesn't make their bullets. Wonder if the manufacture just changed the design for giggles?
Old February 20, 2020, 11:02 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmady
bullet jacket: NOT FMJ, jacket along base perimeter, but base mostly exposed
Most full metal jacket ammunition (in handgun ammo, anyway) has an open base with the lead exposed. That's why one ammo maker calls their ammo "total metal jacket" rather than "full metal jacket" -- the "total metal jacket" has an enclosed base. Historically, bullets that have the base enclosed have been plated, not jacketed.
Jeepaholic
Old February 20, 2020, 09:57 PM   #7
wild cat mccane

Interestingly, TMJ is on the high end CCI Lawman and on some of their brass Blazer Brass. Federal does TMJ on their toxic free line.

Cheaper off brands sometimes are TMJ like those loaded by that one bankrupt company...what's the name...ah! Freedom Munitions.

I do like TMJ for lead exposure though.
Old February 20, 2020, 10:16 PM   #8
Carmady

Quote:
Also, Sig doesn't make their bullets. Wonder if the manufacture just changed the design for giggles?
Or maybe Sig received a lower bid from another manufacturer? That could explain the difference in bullet construction and the 4.8gr increase in brass/primer weight.
Old February 20, 2020, 10:17 PM   #9
Carmady

Quote:
Most full metal jacket ammunition (in handgun ammo, anyway) has an open base with the lead exposed. That's why one ammo maker calls their ammo "total metal jacket" rather than "full metal jacket"
I thought about that right after posting, but wasn't sure. Thanks.