The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 30, 2020, 01:34 PM   #1
Nathan

Looking for a new hunting rifle 6.5 Creedmoor

So, my dad says to me....I want a 6.5 Creedmoor....I’m like ok. For what?

Fast forward......

He seems to be looking for a bolt action rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. He also kind of likes the BLR rifle.

Bolt or lever action....he’s pretty traditional
Scope only, no sights.....
Synthetic stock
0.75” groups at 100 yds
Adjustable or good trigger....2-3lb crisp trigger
6.5-7.5 lbs before scope
Maybe $1000-$1200 or so total, so maybe $400-800 rifle.

Looking at Savage, but I don’t really like most of today’s rifles from them.
T/C Compass looks ok
Howa 1500 looks great to me, but so-so to him
He really likes his Tikka T3...
What about the Mauser 18 or Sauer??

He lives near some good gunsmiths do a semi custom is possible.
Old January 30, 2020, 01:48 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

What's his budget?
No BLR in 6.5 Creed on Browning's site.
"...I don’t really like..." Doesn't matter what you like. Isn't your rifle. Take pop shopping.
"...really likes his Tikka T3..." Which one? There are 26 of 'em.
Tikka's advertising is false though. The "When Canadian Rangers were choosing their new rifle" is nonsense. The Rangers had nothing to do with the choice.
Old January 30, 2020, 04:37 PM   #3
jmr40

Tikka and don't look back.

Winston Churchill
Old January 30, 2020, 05:18 PM   #4
NHSHOOTER

Browning Xbolt..
Old January 30, 2020, 05:25 PM   #5
MarkCO

I have a LOT of rifles and have been through a lot more.

As it stands today, there are 3 companies I look at for bolt guns. In order, Bergara, Weatherby, and if I want something cheap, Ruger. Tikka is good, but I love what Bergara is doing in terms of products and customer service, Weatherby won me back when they moved out of CA to WY and their rifles are excellent. Those are rifles I don't mind spending over $500 on and would rebarrel them when and if the barrel is shot out. The Rugers, IMHO, are decent with good value, but they are production grade and not worth upgrading, modifying or rebarreling. When I have about 60% of the projected life down the tube, I sell them to a hunter that won't shoot but a box a year or so. So that said, if they have a model your Dad likes, they would be a good choice and drop more coin on the glass. As my Dad aged, he had more and more trouble with optics and we went to a more expensive scope with better light transmission.
Old January 30, 2020, 07:06 PM   #6
BBarn

I would consider Browning, Kimber, Ruger, Tikka, Weatherby, and Winchester, all of which make nice bolt action rifles. Steer clear of entry level rifles from these or other makers if you want a nice rifle. While those low cost rifles operate OK and shoot well, they generally look and feel cheap.

If you can wait for a sale, you can get one of the nicer rifles for about $800 or less. Which leaves about $400 for a scope, the price of a 2 1/2-8X Leupold VX-3i (an excellent hunting scope).
Old January 30, 2020, 10:32 PM   #7
TXAZ

Lots of good advice above. My police officer SIL swears by his Tikka. I like the Ruger Precision rifle.
But go try them out at least get the feel of each.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 31, 2020, 05:49 AM   #8
hooligan1

Those M18 mausers are shooters and affordable.
Savage has a new lightweight rifle with a proof carbon wrapped barrel on it, havent heard how the shoot yet..... Id handle the m18 before I bought anything.
Old January 31, 2020, 06:19 AM   #9
Nathan

Anybody have the Sauer?
Old January 31, 2020, 06:57 AM   #10
J.G. Terry

Tikka T3

Sorry no Sauer. Based on a owning a Tikka the suggestion is to take a look.. The number one choice for me would be a Tikka in a new rifle. You are doing right to find out what you can about all the choices. It's already been suggested handling the rifles. My Tikka is an old T3. I find the rifle handles very well and is accurate. Actually, none of these guns is a bad choice. Get the one you like best.

Added: My rifle has an old Leupold VX1 2-7 variable in Warne rings. Works great.

Last edited by J.G. Terry; January 31, 2020 at 05:03 PM.
Old January 31, 2020, 12:37 PM   #11
Don Fischer

Find a used rifle in good shape he like's and have it rebarrled. I did that for my 6.5-06. Had an older 700 BDL I inherited and had it rebarreled. Cost me right at $600. Had a Parker Hale in 25-06 rebarreled to 6.5x55 for the ex and that one ran me right at $800 but needed the bolt opened up for the 6.5x55. Both my 6.5's have Shilen barrels.
Old January 31, 2020, 04:36 PM   #12
kilotanker22

I just today bought a Savage 110 Engage Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it, because it comes with an ok scope for seer and ground hogs. Also the adjustable length of pull. The Idea is to have my daughter in the woods with it this fall.

I bought a bulk pack of 60 rounds of some Winchester 6.5 Creedmoor OTM Range ammunition. $40 for 60 rounds was a good enough deal for me. Just shoot it up for brass.
I was not expecting too much in the way of accuracy with such cheap ammunition, but I was quite surprised. With that ammunition I shot 2 five round groups that were sub .5 MOA at 100 yards. The other two groups were .74 MOA and .98 MOA.

Same gun and ammo, once I adjusted for range fired a 10 round group at 300 yards that measured about 4.5 inches. Mostly horizontal spread. I was dealing with a little mirage and it was also a little breezy. That was from a bipod and a rear bag. If I had my pedestal rest and the wind was not a factor I am confident that rifle would have shot better at 300.

Two things I really don't like about that rifle package.

1: Savage used the plastic magazine latch design from the Axis rifles. I hate that design. Although it functioned perfectly, it is very stiff to install.

2: That Engage scope is ok. It tracked perfectly, passed a box test and the glass was pretty clear (for the price). The thing I did not like about it is the eye box. That eye box is very finnicky. You have to be lined up just perfect.

Aside from those two things it is a solid performer. Savage also sells that same rifle unscoped as the 110 Apex. Although If you did consider Savage. I would go for the 110 Hunter rifle. It has the adjustable comb, adjustable length of pull, full length Aluminum bedding block and of course the Accu Trigger. Retail is about $650 on the 110 Hunter and the Engage Hunter Package was $519. The Engage hunter also has the accutrigger.

You could buy a the nicer 110 Hunter rifle and top it with a Leupold vx3i for around $1000 out the door. Tikka is definitely smoother, but you would be hard pressed to find a rifle that "really" shoots groups tight enough that you would notice a difference.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 31, 2020, 04:40 PM   #13
kilotanker22

Also that rifle with Bipod, scope and aa loaded magazine weighs right about 9.5 pounds.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old January 31, 2020, 05:38 PM   #14
Wendyj

Tikka T3x. Lights out. Sub moa with factory. Better with handloads. I’ve got 6 in various calibers. Never look back.
Old January 31, 2020, 05:52 PM   #15
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
Tikka and don't look back.
Why buy a wanna be Sako?
In all seriousness, accuracy is poor for the price tag.
Old January 31, 2020, 05:55 PM   #16
O4L

Here is an interesting review on a ~$300 rifle with factory ammo.

https://youtu.be/STMTNCu96kQ
Old January 31, 2020, 08:25 PM   #17
Nathan

He’s liking the Bergara B-14 Hunter....pretty cool rifle, IMO
Old January 31, 2020, 08:39 PM   #18
603Country

I worked up loads for my brother’s Bergara in 6.5 CM. Very accurate rifle, but I prefer my Tikka T3 Light Stainless.

We had visitors to the ranch a few months back, and one of the guys was a SWAT guy from a northern city. He shot most everything I have, and shot extremely well, but his favorite was my Tikka in 260 with a Leupold VX5 3-15 CDS with firedot.
Old January 31, 2020, 09:04 PM   #19
Wendyj

I wouldn’t say the Tikka is a want to be Sako. I’ve got 2 Sako rifles and they don’t shoot any better than my Tikkas at a 1/3rd of the price.
Old February 6, 2020, 08:09 PM   #20
BoogieMan

Tika is a long action being chambered in a short action cartridge.
I went Weatherby vanguard a couple months back. I'm very satisfied.
But, I wish I had been able to put hands on Mauser or JP Sauer. Anyone know if Sauer 100 and Mauser are the same rifle? Looks like a Howa/Vanguard situation to me.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old February 7, 2020, 12:13 PM   #21
bamaranger

dad rifle

I noticed as my Dad got past 60, that the rifles he hunted most were shorter and lighter. No that I'm in the same boat, I can say the same.

Were I to buy a 6.5 CM, I'd consider the Kimber Hunter. The 6.5CM is a pretty mild number and would likely not be to abusive in the lightweight Kimber. The rifle would be easy to carry too. You oughta be able to find a Hunter sub $800, and a tidy 2-7x or a compact 3-9x would make a neat rig.

It's fun spending other folks money.
Old February 8, 2020, 01:55 PM   #22
std7mag

I don't shoot the 6.5 Creedmoor, my hair is too short.
But if i were looking for a new factory rifle....
Tikka would be on my very short list. At or near the top anyways. Trigger is good, gun is lightweight, action VERY smooth, priced affordably.
Behind that would be the Mauser M18. Again decent trigger, decent action, accurate, resonably priced. One thing i have heard that concerns me with the Mauser is the bolt actually locks IN the barrel.
Better accuracy?
Maybe, but not barrel change friendly.

I played with tbe new Savage Ultra Light yesterday. 5,3/4 lbs. Accutriggeer, Accustock, Proof Research barrel with threaded muzzle. Action is supposed to be a lightened Model 10. Looks more like a lightened Axis action to me.
While the Savage actions have been proven for accuracy, along with the Proof Research barrels, my first order of business would be to swap out the stock!
The forestock is still very flexable/flimsy!

I've owned a Howa 1500 in the form of the first gen Weatherby Vangard. I'll never own another!
Was the only gun i've ever been happy to get rid of!

If your looking for .75 at 100 yards, then you'd have to throw in some fliers from Wendyj's Tikka!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 9, 2020, 04:20 PM   #23
musicmatty

Old February 9, 2020, 04:28 PM   #24
std7mag

Great!!

Now i'm not buying from Henry!!!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...