The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2018, 06:14 PM   #1
Prof Young

Primer catching for turret press?

I have a Lee turret press which I really like so much more than my old single stage presses. The one thing I'd change is where primers go. Where they go is everywhere. I usually use my old single stage to do all the depriming as it catches the spent primers.

Does anyone have a design for modification to the Lee Turret press that makes it catch and confine the primers?

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 8, 2018, 06:28 PM   #2
dwhite

If you have the old three hole model here's what I did.

I cut a piece of poster board about two inches high and long enough to wrap from the right front post and around to the left rear post. Taped it in place so I can easily remove it if I want. Not perfect but helps a lot.

Someone makes a primer catcher for this model press. See the attached picture.

All the Best,
D. White
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (9.0 KB, 53 views)
Old September 8, 2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Don P

I took it one step further, I used some kydex I had and enclosed the press from the left turret support to the right front support. It contained about 95% of the primers. Primers running loose from depriming are just part of reloading. We do our best to reduce the number of runaways. My Dillon 550has occasionally has runaway primers. As the story goes.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 8, 2018, 07:11 PM   #4
krunchnik

I drilled a hole right underneath the press where the primers fall-I then screwed an upside down seasoning salt cap that I also made a hole into the underside of the bench.I screw the empty container onto the cap and when the primers fall they end up falling into the empty container.Then when it gets filled up I just unscrew the container and dump.
Old September 9, 2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Prof Young

Hmmm . . . okay will try some stuff

Thanks for the ideas. Think I'll try combining Krunchniks hole with the suggestions of a bit of a wrap around fence.

Life is good.

Prof Young
Old September 9, 2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Marco Califo

I deprime as part of cleaning

I use a Lee hand press with a Lee universal decapper die. Frankfort Arsenal also makes a hand deprimer. The Lee hand press catches maybe 40+ small primers or 25 large inside. I remove the shell holder and turn up side down to dump them. I view depriming as a case prep step, and wash the cases in hot dish soap after depriming. The grime includes lead from primers or cast bullets, and I do not like to handle dirty cases. Removing the primers also aids in draining ease.
I also prime all cases off my presses.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:50 PM   #7
kahless5876

I drilled a hole and mounted a plastic container that can hold quite a few spent primers.
Old September 13, 2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Prof Young

Should have explained motivation more.

I guess I should have explained that part of my motivation is that I want to take full advantage of my turret press and add de-prime as one of the steps. I know that may leave a little bit of crud in the primer pocket but my experience is that the crud is nearly none and does not affect full depth seating of the primer.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old September 13, 2018, 02:09 PM   #9
Don P

Prof. How many dies in the turret? 3 or 4 ? A 4 hole should not be an issue. 3 hole means you can't use the factory crimp die
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 13, 2018, 02:40 PM   #10
F. Guffey

I ise different presses; one press I use often is the Rock Chucker, I have never complained about the Rock Chucker and the primer catcher because I believe it is better to light a candle that is to cuss the darkness. Even when moving primers from the big box/Federal container to the Lee Auto primer with the round tray. When using the big Federal tray I dise3ct the sleeve, I cut a 1/4 section out of the sleeve and dump 25 primers at a time. And no it was not necessary to dissect 4 sleeves, I use one sleeve and rotate the sleeve 1/4 turn for an additional 25 primers.

And then there is that candle thing with the primer catcher; I started by using 3M black take, after that I went for color coordination and went with the 3M green tape; around Christmas I have the option of going with the red tape to secure the primer catcher tray. With the tape it is impossible for a primer to get away from me.

And then there is the winter, Primers embedded in the soles of my shoes give me traction on ice an in the snow now.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 13, 2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: cat came throug and stepped on the number key
Old September 13, 2018, 08:20 PM   #11
reynolds357

Put a bucket under it.